ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons you believe IU is a top coaching job

Lifetimebooler1

Recruit
Oct 21, 2019
Let’s hear them. Truly curious at this point after reading a lot on this board lately. It’s not 1985 anymore, the kids being recruited today weren’t even alive to see Indiana make it past the sweet sixteen. The expectations sound enormous, as one post I read said “Stevens was someone I was confident would be an immediate turnaround.”

I do not believe we are a top spot anymore.
Big challenge, big history, big conference, just not a top job.

Let’s hear them. Truly curious at this point after reading a lot on this board lately. It’s not 1985 anymore, the kids being recruited today weren’t even alive to see Indiana make it past the sweet sixteen. The expectations sound enormous, as one post I read said “Stevens was someone I was confident would be an immediate turnaround.”

You’re coming on here and telling us what to do? Isn’t your team playing at this very second? Lol.

Because it is. Do you think many of ILL's player's worshiped Kendall Gill? Program names resonate still, even if the recruits have no idea of the player legacy. How many of Duke's recruiting class would know who the F Johnny Dawkins is or UK with Tony Delk? It's the same all over, gotta sell the program and coach first. There's lots of kids Juwan might be recruiting for next year that don't know who the hell he is

Reactions: indiana ed
We just need to recruit the right players! AMs only good recruit was TJD! Crean recruited well, but was an idiot game coach! Recruits should not have any problem wanting to play for IU, not just because the history. The loyal fans that would pack every home game, the facilities have been upgraded, power 5 conference, awesome campus, hot IU sorority chicks in tight spandex pants, etc. No reason for top recruits to not consider IU! Whoever the new coach may be, he just needs to be a great X’s and O’s coach! Being the head coach of IU still is a powerful position! Top 5 job in ncaab! There will always be big named coaches that would want to coach here!

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
You’re coming on here and telling us what to do? Isn’t your team playing at this very second? Lol.
No I was asking not telling. Take the stick out of your ass buddy. I watch basketball games on my tv not my phone, crazy concept but both do work at the same time and I wasn’t impressed with what I was seeing so I got on a bunch of rivals forums and checked some other apps too. If you’re interested in more details I can give them to you.
It is a sincere question, Id love to watch ranked, heated, nationally relevant Purdue and IU games and honestly neither team is where they need to be for that.

1. Attendance to games
2. Recruiting budget
3. Local high school talent
4. Fact a single donor gave $10mil
5. History
6. Hot Girls for players
7. Mop lady introduction
8. Chick filet parachute give aways
9. Great pep band
10. Chuck Crabb

It still is a great job. The high school talent in Indiana is loaded yearly. Great college town. Great airport and city less than an hour away. Great fans. Great conference and exposure. Kelvin Sampson should still be coaching IU as far as I’m concerned. Look at all the crazy shit that’s gone down since at Kansas, Arizona, LSU, etc. Beard or Musselman can turn things around. Archie hire was a complete bust.

Hot girls.

We have a fanbase in a basketball state that is ready to storm back. When we are good, we get national attention and are the team of choice in the state.

It's a double edge sword though because when we are bad, the whole state wants the coach fired.

Some coaches don't want to deal with that.

#1: Earning potential
#2: Program Budget
#3: Athletic Department Priority
#4: Highly rated in state talent
#5: Rich History
#6: Passionate Fan Base
#7: Premier Conference
#8: Highly Rated Academic Programs / colleges within university
#9: Practice Facilities / Substantial Home advantage in Iconic Assembly Hall
#10: Bloomington

There are a number of reasons that the IU coaching job is a “top coaching job”, but first you really need to look at little more closely at the question. What is meant by top coaching job? For the purpose of this post I will assume top 5 college basketball coaching job.

IU is a fine school, in a power conference, in a town that I personally love, in a Midwestern state that values basketball and offers a solid recruiting base. Most people in this thread will also mention “great fan base”, and a bunch of things about money and resources. And of course there’s our tradition.

But do these things make us a top 5 college basketball coaching destination?

1 through 4:
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC

Then us?

Are we a better job than MSU, or UCLA. Or U-Conn, Arizona, Michigan, Louisville, OSU, Villanova, etc?

Common reasons I am seeing:

1. Budget , 💰 *
2. Great recruiting base
3. Great resources / facilities
4. Rampant fan base
5. Great conference
6. Bloomington
7. “tradition”
8. Good school

*budget includes money to pay head coach, his staff, recruiting budget, etc.

All of these are reasons why IU offers a great opportunity for a coach. Even taken together I don’t see how this list of things differentiates IU enough to make it a top 5 job. The only way that happens is if IU is a top 5 program.

Currently we are not.

Maybe we are a blue blood, a sleeping giant or some other kind term about a once elite program that has lost its elite standing.

Think about it this way:

Our coach is on the recruiting trail. What does he say to a kid to get them to come? Contrast that with what would be said by one of the elite programs. Tradition and a rampant fan base doesn’t make it more likely for a kid to win a championship. It doesn’t make IU a better steppingstone to an NBA payday,

But......

While tradition and our storied history won’t make IU a current elite program, or top 5 coaching destination, it can be enough of a differentiating factor for the right candidate. It’s about fit. That’s why you hear the IU basketball “family” keep talking about hiring an IU “guy”.

I would suggest that our basketball program has a culture and identity issue. We got rid of Knight and have been through so many different phases that we have lost who we are, but hang on to some superficial aspects like a wax museum curator.

IU CAN be top 5 job for the right person.

what you won’t see mentioned on people’s lists is the IU basketball family. Let’s embrace them in this. We need a culture and identity change. Obviously we need to be a forward looking program. We need to do modern things, change with the times , etc. But there has been an albatross hanging over this program for decades now. It’s time to get rid of it.

i've forgotten.

Try this....make sure while on the recruiting trail in the recruit's home...that both dad and grandpa are there. That extra push from grandpa might just sway that kid in our direction. Might as well tap into as much "tradition" as is available.

It still is a great job. The high school talent in Indiana is loaded yearly. Great college town. Great airport and city less than an hour away. Great fans. Great conference and exposure. Kelvin Sampson should still be coaching IU as far as I’m concerned. Look at all the crazy shit that’s gone down since at Kansas, Arizona, LSU, etc. Beard or Musselman can turn things around. Archie hire was a complete bust.
sampson SHOULD still be coaching at iu.

It's a double edge sword though because when we are bad, the whole state wants the coach fired.

Some coaches don't want to deal with that.
True. Archie is private and probably best suited to coach somewhere like Dayton. He never shared anything about himself outside of basketball. He seemed to be forced to do his radio show and shared nothing with the fans other than the same monotonous answers to the same questions. RMK's shows were like a classroom where we could apply what we learned and watch how the team was following the script.

I want a coach that is a teacher. I learned more about basketball in the week I was at RMK's basketball camp than all the years I played and all the other camps I attended. It didn't hurt to have Scott May and Quinn Buckner demonstrating defensive position/stances and the triple threat position.

It's Indiana.........It's Indiana.

The problem with IU is they wish they could be Kansas. Kansas always gets one of the best coaches which keeps them top 5 for decades. In the past 40 years they’ve had Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Bill Self, who are all great coaches, but Kansas has always been bigger, which allows them to keep rolling along. I think Knight was such a towering personality that most people think the two are linked forever and IU can only be good when they had Knight in his prime. So far, it looks like they may be right.

Reactions: milkdude
The problem with IU is they wish they could be Kansas. Kansas always gets one of the best coaches which keeps them top 5 for decades. In the past 40 years they’ve had Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Bill Self, who are all great coaches, but Kansas has always been bigger, which allows them to keep rolling along. I think Knight was such a towering personality that most people think the two are linked forever and IU can only be good when they had Knight in his prime. So far, it looks like they may be right.
Branch McCracken might beg to differ....

Reactions: asindc
#1: Earning potential
#2: Program Budget
#3: Athletic Department Priority
#4: Highly rated in state talent
#5: Rich History
#6: Passionate Fan Base
#7: Premier Conference
#8: Highly Rated Academic Programs / colleges within university
#9: Practice Facilities / Substantial Home advantage in Iconic Assembly Hall
#10: Bloomington

Good list. Also, very large alumni base, and a broad base. Two different and important things. Michigan and Indiana get fans in Washington, Louisiana, Texas, Minnesota....wherever.

Also, for coaches, being in the Big Ten is a top destination. Only NW is a bit of a lower tier bball job. Maybe Minnesota slightly. All the rest are top jobs and have the resources to flourish.

Look at frigging Wisconsin. For anyone old enough to remember, Wiscoznsin was terrible for decades and anyone would call it a good coaching job.

I don't even know why we are having this discussion.

Reactions: aajohn2000
1. Attendance to games
2. Recruiting budget
3. Local high school talent
4. Fact a single donor gave $10mil
5. History
6. Hot Girls for players
7. Mop lady introduction
8. Chick filet parachute give aways
9. Great pep band
10. Chuck Crabb
Don't forget the "best in class" facilities - new locker room, Cook Hall, etc.. Plus, the big salary makes it a top job.. Making millions living in Bloomington..

Well look at Duke. Duke is going to tank. They will have the same problem replacing K that IU has had replacing RMK.

Asking this question is like asking in 2006 why Alabama football is a top job or asking in 2009 if ND football is a top job. IU just needs the right coach.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
Sampson would probably have a couple of FFs and a title or two by now. He’s that good of a coach and he’d have had burger boys and top 100 players on his roster as opposed to what he has now.

Reactions: kmathum
Sampson would probably have a couple of FFs and a title or two by now. He’s that good of a coach and he’d have had burger boys and top 100 players on his roster as opposed to what he has now.
But just like a pedophile....Sampson can't keep the dirt out from under his fingernails....he just can't.

At the moment, the job has more downsides than upsides: impatient fan base living in the 80s & 90s, IU hasn't been a factor in the tournament for current recruiting prospects, job is living in a bubble. Anyone who could take that and put IU in the upper tier again would have a great pay check and offers from UNC & DUKE when their current coaches retire.

At the moment, the job has more downsides than upsides: impatient fan base living in the 80s & 90s, IU hasn't been a factor in the tournament for current recruiting prospects, job is living in a bubble. Anyone who could take that and put IU in the upper tier again would have a great pay check and offers from UNC & DUKE when their current coaches retire.
it is not an impatient fan base.....IU has put up with twenty years of 3 day old fish.....and they are still fans. That speaks for itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT