ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's match-ups

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I'm afraid they'll make it to the Final 4.

--Memphis....Their starting line-up goes 6'9" 205 lbs; 6'5"; 6'5"; 6'0"; and 6'0", Their top reserves are 6'6"; 6'6"; and 6'3". One of their 6'6" guys is a really good rebounder, but I don't see how they cope with Edy. Looks like they have 2 really good players in 6'0 180 lb pg Kendric Davis and 6'9" 205 lb DeAndre Williams, who is their 2nd leading scorer and their leading rebounder by a lot. They play 10 guys over16 minutes per game. They shoot 3s fairly well (.353) and FTs (,748, mostly because of Davis), but only avg. 1 reb per game than their opponents.

--Marquette....They don't appear to match-up well either....their biggest guys are 6'9" 215 lbs & 6'8" 230 lbs. They don't play as many guys, take care of the ball better (10.7 TOs), shoot .348 on many more 3 pt attempts, but get outrebounded by almost 4 per game. They only lost by 4 at WL early in the year.....would be interesting to see how that game went. On the face of it, they really don't have 2 guys that are as impressive as Davis & Williams from Memphis; however, Tyler Kolac averages 7.7 assists per game.

--Duke.....Looking at the Duke #s.....they're not that impressive. They only hit .335 on 3s. Their two best players' #s aren't all that special. What they do have is height. They average 8 more rebounds v. their opponents. They have 4 guys 7'0" or over who play some + the Young kid from NW. What will make things interesting is that the 7 footer Filipowski attempted 118 3s on the year. Who will Edy guard. they have two forwards who attempted 52 (6'8" Mitchell) and 91 (6'7" Whitehead). So Duke might prove to be the hardest matchup.

If they got to the FF, they'd have to beat Alabama and Kansas (probably) to win it; that seems highly unlikely. But I do think they have a legit shot to get there.

Reactions: ufo33

--Memphis....Their starting line-up goes 6'9" 205 lbs; 6'5"; 6'5"; 6'0"; and 6'0", Their top reserves are 6'6"; 6'6"; and 6'3". One of their 6'6" guys is a really good rebounder, but I don't see how they cope with Edy. Looks like they have 2 really good players in 6'0 180 lb pg Kendric Davis and 6'9" 205 lb DeAndre Williams, who is their 2nd leading scorer and their leading rebounder by a lot. They play 10 guys over16 minutes per game. They shoot 3s fairly well (.353) and FTs (,748, mostly because of Davis), but only avg. 1 reb per game than their opponents.

--Marquette....They don't appear to match-up well either....their biggest guys are 6'9" 215 lbs & 6'8" 230 lbs. They don't play as many guys, take care of the ball better (10.7 TOs), shoot .348 on many more 3 pt attempts, but get outrebounded by almost 4 per game. They only lost by 4 at WL early in the year.....would be interesting to see how that game went. On the face of it, they really don't have 2 guys that are as impressive as Davis & Williams from Memphis; however, Tyler Kolac averages 7.7 assists per game.

--Duke.....Looking at the Duke #s.....they're not that impressive. They only hit .335 on 3s. Their two best players' #s aren't all that special. What they do have is height. They average 8 more rebounds v. their opponents. They have 4 guys 7'0" or over who play some + the Young kid from NW. What will make things interesting is that the 7 footer Filipowski attempted 118 3s on the year. Who will Edy guard. they have two forwards who attempted 52 (6'8" Mitchell) and 91 (6'7" Whitehead). So Duke might prove to be the hardest matchup.

If they got to the FF, they'd have to beat Alabama and Kansas (probably) to win it; that seems highly unlikely. But I do think they have a legit shot to get there.
How did they matchup last year with St Peters? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.

Jenkins has stepped in for Loyer as he had struggled recently. Jenkins was a big portal get for them......he's won at least 2 games for them recently.
I asked a question. When was the last time? Jenkins is pretty good but it’s 2 games. It was Rutgers and Penn state. He didn’t play much against Ohio state. Loyer is still the starter.

• Haha
Reactions: ufo33

*dismissive eyeroll*

Stating the obvious, Purdue beat Duke and Marquette this year. So why would they not be favored if they play again?

Just check the box scores for earlier meetings with Marquette and Duke.

Got my Cinderella team 12 seed Oral Roberts taking down PU! They got a 7’5C to help stop Edey and a guard scoring 22ppg! Book it!

Reactions: ams66
They'll be favored .. but that doesn't equal an automatic win .... and the scout above is poor at best.

It's March, shit happens .. and tends to happen to Purdue.
Always happens to Purdue.
Every time.
The worst post season team in history.

No shot to win it all.

Any team that has good, physical guards and wings is a serious threat to Purdue.

That’ll start in Round 2, especially if it’s Memphis. Duke, not as much, though they’re very athletic overall. Tennessee for sure has the physicality on the perimeter to bother them. Marquette for sure. KState for sure.

Do not count Duke or Memphis likely. Memphis can pressure their guards and wings.

Any team that has good, physical guards and wings is a serious threat to Purdue.

That’ll start in Round 2, especially if it’s Memphis. Duke, not as much, though they’re very athletic overall. Tennessee for sure has the physicality on the perimeter to bother them. Marquette for sure. KState for sure.
Tenn without their pg hurts them alot.

I've got PU losing to Marquette in my bracket. Marquette had an off-night from three against the Boiler-fakers the first time they played. I'll be holding my nose and cheering for PU since they're from the B1G, but I don't have any faith that their guards are going to take them deep in the tourney

I'm honestly not worried at all about PU winning it all. As a 1 seed, they certainly have a good chance to make a F4, but I don't even think they'll do that. They have a generational "talent" in Edey who is very hard to prepare for, and even moreso early in the year, which is why I believe they got off to such a fast start while other teams were still finding their footing. Edey was already 7'4" and playing as well as he has all season, so they ramped up quickly and their freshmen guards were productive early. They've ridden that and a weak B10 and an unbalanced schedule along with good fortune in catching teams without key players and had a great season. I still believe them to be one of the more flawed teams to make it to #1. Any team with good quick defensive guards who can shoot will give them trouble and if that team can find a way to deal with Edey, they'll be at risk. I don't know who will do it, but between Memphis, Marquette, Duke and UK someone will. Heck, the injury or foul bug might eventually even catch up with Edey and the longer he's out of the game, the more average they become.

I'm honestly not worried at all about PU winning it all. As a 1 seed, they certainly have a good chance to make a F4, but I don't even think they'll do that. They have a generational "talent" in Edey who is very hard to prepare for, and even moreso early in the year, which is why I believe they got off to such a fast start while other teams were still finding their footing. Edey was already 7'4" and playing as well as he has all season, so they ramped up quickly and their freshmen guards were productive early. They've ridden that and a weak B10 and an unbalanced schedule along with good fortune in catching teams without key players and had a great season. I still believe them to be one of the more flawed teams to make it to #1. Any team with good quick defensive guards who can shoot will give them trouble and if that team can find a way to deal with Edey, they'll be at risk. I don't know who will do it, but between Memphis, Marquette, Duke and UK someone will. Heck, the injury or foul bug might eventually even catch up with Edey and the longer he's out of the game, the more average they become.
Good points.

I do think their chances are greater than I would have thought in the latter part of the season, because Furst, Gillis, and Jenkins have all stepped up their play, and Smith has not faltered I thought, for example, that Rutgers had a shot at them in the first game of the BTT. That was better than RU had played in quite a while, and Purdue made the plays necessary to win going away.

I said i was "worried" Purdue would make it to the Final 4 because Memphis & Marquette will be hard pressed to control Edey. If Memphis' Walker (6'9" and one of their 2 standout players) gets in foul trouble they don't have anyone to challenge Edey. Marquette doesn't have a big of that stature. And this Duke team lacks the talent we associate with Duke teams, although they have plenty of size.

I never said it was "likely" that Purdue will get to the FF and I said, if they do, they would be highly unlikely to win it all. Mathematically, it's unlikely that any one team makes it to the Final 4, even an Alabama or a Kansas. If Purdue wins 60% of the time when they play Memphis, Marquette, or Duke, they still only have app. a 22% chance of beating all 3. All I'm saying is that, imo, as between Memphis, Marquette, and Duke I believe they have the best chance. They have a better chance of getting to the Final 4 than we have of getting to the Elite 8, imo.

As to their curse, long may it continue. But we know what happened to the Cubs and Red Sox curses. Most of Purdue's high profile losses have come from choking, but that '19 loss to Virginia was due to a miracle shot at the buzzer. As the old saying goes, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. Ask TMP. He's a pig, he would know.

Last edited:
Reactions: pig1960
Just check the box scores for earlier meetings with Marquette and Duke.
Both of those teams have developed substantially since then...particularly Duke.

I don't know or really care what happens but those are different teams today.

Reactions: Willdog7
It ALL rests on whether or not Edey and the Bmakers ain general are "officiated fairly" as painter asked.

If they are...they are in trouble.

They barely beat #10-in-league PSU who was playing their 4th game in 4 days. They aren't making the final 4.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT