ADVERTISEMENT

PURDUE: The Indiana University

“Many good things come to IU if Purdue wins a title.”
Please elaborate further, these good things aplenty. I can think of none.
No B1G team has won the title since 2000 (MSU). So, maybe the conference as a whole benefits from a Purdue win...it could use some prestige...IU could benefit if it is forced to take a close look in the mirror after a Purdue win.. maybe some fire in the belly to wake up from the decades long slumber. There's nothing to lose....that's for sure.

“Many good things come to IU if Purdue wins a title.”
Please elaborate further, these good things aplenty. I can think of none.
My pleasure:
  1. Returns a basketball focus to state of Indiana. We certainly haven't done shit in forever! Helps when Butler, IU, and PU have good years. Better media coverage, increased hosting city revenue for bigger crowds, marketing/merchandise across the state, etc. (I consider ND national, but they could be included.)
  2. Upgrades the rivalry back to national. (Needed some seasoning.)
  3. National conference recognition matters. Michigan already won the Football title. (ESPN isn't covering that B1G storyline.) Massive Grin! If PU wins, we all do.
That's what I got. I could go on. Thoughts?
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: steelyvan
My pleasure:
  1. Returns a basketball focus to state of Indiana. We certainly haven't done shit in forever! Helps when Butler, IU, and PU have good years. Better media coverage, increased hosting city revenue for bigger crowds, marketing/merchandise across the state, etc. (I consider ND national, but they could be included.)
  2. Upgrades the rivalry back to national. (Needed some seasoning.)
  3. National conference recognition matters. Michigan already won the Football title. (ESPN isn't covering that B1G storyline.) Massive Grin! If PU wins, we all do.
That's what I got. I could go on. Thoughts?
Go Hoosiers!
Valid points but do not agree that it helps Indiana at all. Just my opinion.

PU is a good school but has no comparison in sports on the national championship level.

Our basketball, soccer and swimming have all won multiple national championships. PU has three. We already have a better national reputation for television and all we need is a good couple of years to drive that back up.

Things go in cycles and our cycle in men's basketball has been pretty bad but with that we have been to a championship game in the 21st century. We also had a really good team in 2012 that got beat by national champion Kentucky.

Our woman has come on under Miller now Moren and have won 15 or 16 over the Boilers who have a dusty championship in that sport. We ranked 5th in attendance in the nation at over 10k per game and have a solid team coming back despite the loss of Scalia and Mac.

Purdue only has club soccer, so they don't compete with the men only women soccer. Our two swimming teams are coming off of top ten national finishes. Men 4th and women 7th.

We even have a national championship this year in hockey at the club level.

Purdue can lose or win, and it will not have a positive impact on the Hoosiers. Again, just my opinion but discussion is good.

Renewing the Kentucky series has more national implications that PU/IU.

While living in the Carolinas..got to see the rivalry up close....The Duke/UNC rivalry was always sharpened when one or the other won a Natty. It makes that rivalry level up. The IU/Purdue rivalry could use some leveling up too. At least Purdue is doing its part in that regard. The sniveling and grumbling from IU fans doesn't boost the rivalry; and won't until the gap is closed. Thats on IU.

PU is a good school but has no comparison in sports on the national championship level.

Our basketball, soccer and swimming have all won multiple national championships. PU has three. We already have a better national reputation for television and all we need is a good couple of years to drive that back up.

Things go in cycles and our cycle in men's basketball has been pretty bad but with that we have been to a championship game in the 21st century. We also had a really good team in 2012 that got beat by national champion Kentucky.

Our woman has come on under Miller now Moren and have won 15 or 16 over the Boilers who have a dusty championship in that sport. We ranked 5th in attendance in the nation at over 10k per game and have a solid team coming back despite the loss of Scalia and Mac.

Purdue only has club soccer, so they don't compete with the men only women soccer. Our two swimming teams are coming off of top ten national finishes. Men 4th and women 7th.

Purdue can lose or win, and it will not have a positive impact on the Hoosiers. Again, just my opinion but discussion is good.

Shuski,
I understand your perspective.
But competition breeds success.
And if IU doesn’t get motivated by a Purdue win, that’s a sad state of affairs for our program.
Beating Kentucky is always great for national attention. That will be very interesting.

I have reluctantly arrived at the point where I no longer rabidly cheer for Purdue to lose every single game. Sure, I hate a lot of their fans (including the opening poster here), their stupid "IU sucks" chant, their Helms "championships", their reliance on glory days in the 1920s and 1930s to pad their "history"...

All of the above, and maybe more.

But the facts are:
1) Painter knows how to put a team together.
2) They are good, really good, and fun to watch.
3) A lot of core players are from Indiana, have a high hoops IQ, and other than Loyer do not seem to be highly punchable pricks. Neither is their coach. Can't say that for their fans, though.
3) They've been a very solid program for decades and they probably "deserve" some success, or we could say they are overdue.
4) I am sick and tired of hearing about how long it has been since a Big Ten team won it all.

So I won't be donning black and gold but I won't mind if they win it all.

Saying this surprises me A LOT. I have always been one to cry "POTFB".

No B1G team has won the title since 2000 (MSU). So, maybe the conference as a whole benefits from a Purdue win...it could use some prestige...IU could benefit if it is forced to take a close look in the mirror after a Purdue win.. maybe some fire in the belly to wake up from the decades long slumber. There's nothing to lose....that's for sure.
I think the better Purdue does in the eyes of the national public, the more difficult IU's recruiting success becomes within the state and region. Purdue already has a global reputation for developing freaks of nature in certain games played with balls.

The personal satisfaction, this prideful sense, I get from our conference doing well pales in comparison to personal pride when IU does well, ie, kicks Purdue's donkey-dick ass. Purdue is set to get their pick of the litter in local recruiting for some time to come now, Jack Bentor will tell you they already have.

"POTFB" upon my tombstone one day!

Reactions: salient43
I think the better Purdue does in the eyes of the national public, the more difficult IU's recruiting success becomes within the state and region. Purdue already has a global reputation for developing freaks of nature in certain games played with balls.

The personal satisfaction, this prideful sense, I get from our conference doing well pales in comparison to personal pride when IU does well, ie, kicks Purdue's donkey-dick ass. Purdue is set to get their pick of the litter in local recruiting for some time to come now, Jack Bentor will tell you they already have.

"POTFB" upon my tombstone one day!
Purdue puts the time, effort and due diligence in recruiting, for the short term and the long term. They earn everything they get on the recruiting trail. Its an embarrassment if not a disgrace what IU has failed to accomplish in recruiting. That is on the coaching staff...with approval from their superiors. As Rollie Massimino used to say: "The harder I work.....the luckier I get".

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Purdue has been basically #1 for 2 straight seasons. They have a 9ft guy that gets every call and shoots 25 FTs a game. If they don’t win the national championship it’s a huge bust unsuccessful season. Mike Davis went to a championship game
Purdue benefits from the Original Shaquille O'Neal Rule which states: all large players that are liked can intentionally collide with any stationary opponent of their choosing and even drive him backwards with no consequence. The formal wording of the actual foul rules do not matter,

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Short man syndrome….

Now even Edey is showing signs of it. A strange, F bomb, on national TV because he’s “pissed” At all the doubters…??

So basically he’s pissed at IU fans. Because literally everyone else was on their side and has been singing his/their praises all year.

So in the biggest moment in his, and in Purdues history…he’s pissed off at IU fans.

Short man syndrome to a T.

Im one IU fan that doesn’t care one way or another. But IF Purdue winning it all lights a fire under our Admin to take their bball related decisions more seriously…I hope they win it! Otherwise…ehhh. Kind of like the White Sox winning the World Series a while back. No one outside their fanbase really thinks much of it or cares.

• Haha
Reactions: salient43
I have reluctantly arrived at the point where I no longer rabidly cheer for Purdue to lose every single game. Sure, I hate a lot of their fans (including the opening poster here), their stupid "IU sucks" chant, their Helms "championships", their reliance on glory days in the 1920s and 1930s to pad their "history"...

All of the above, and maybe more.

But the facts are:
1) Painter knows how to put a team together.
2) They are good, really good, and fun to watch.
3) A lot of core players are from Indiana, have a high hoops IQ, and other than Loyer do not seem to be highly punchable pricks. Neither is their coach. Can't say that for their fans, though.
3) They've been a very solid program for decades and they probably "deserve" some success, or we could say they are overdue.
4) I am sick and tired of hearing about how long it has been since a Big Ten team won it all.

So I won't be donning black and gold but I won't mind if they win it all.

Saying this surprises me A LOT. I have always been one to cry "POTFB".
It's a weaker, more gentler, way of thinking about this once proud rivalry. Mankind's awakening to The Age of Woke-ness...isn't it amazing! It was the only solution, yet we didn't know it!

God help us all, every stinking suffering one of 'em!

Dexter Whitehead said, wondering if his grandkids will one day call him "Pops".

potfb

Reactions: outside shooter

You have always had a superior overall athletic program. One you can be proud of and your five banners are emblematic of five great basketball seasons. I have never rooted against Indiana except when playing Purdue. Now when you focus on the three major spectator sports of football, basketball and women’s basketball the story is a little different. Purdue can’t match the five NC’s, and Indiana can’t match 26 Big Ten Men’s regular season championships. Nor can you match Purdue’s ‘s women’s basketball accomplishments. Football is not even worthy of discussion. As for head to head meetings it is so lopsided it would take many decades of complete dominance before you could even sniff parity. Purdue’s combined record against IU in football , men’s basketball and women’s basketball is 256 victories and 176 defeats. That’s a difference of 80 wins. As for Big Ten titles, Purdue has 50 Big Ten football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball titles and Indiana has 27. You have your banners and you have your great swimmers and soccer players and most other Olympic Sports stars. But Head-to-head in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball you trail by large margins as well as in Big Ten titles.

You have always had a superior overall athletic program. One you can be proud of and your five banners are emblematic of five great basketball seasons. I have never rooted against Indiana except when playing Purdue. Now when you focus on the three major spectator sports of football, basketball and women’s basketball the story is a little different. Purdue can’t match the five NC’s, and Indiana can’t match 26 Big Ten Men’s regular season championships. Nor can you match Purdue’s ‘s women’s basketball accomplishments. Football is not even worthy of discussion. As for head to head meetings it is so lopsided it would take many decades of complete dominance before you could even sniff parity. Purdue’s combined record against IU in football , men’s basketball and women’s basketball is 256 victories and 176 defeats. That’s a difference of 80 wins. As for Big Ten titles, Purdue has 50 Big Ten football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball titles and Indiana has 27. You have your banners and you have your great swimmers and soccer players and most other Olympic Sports stars. But Head-to-head in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball you trail by large margins as well as in Big Ten t
You are correct and I am okay with that I will always take the national prominence without large concern over the major sport head-to-head. The women's basketball has turned for the foreseeable future and now stands at 15 of the last 16.

I am one of those that is a 24/7 sports fans, so I cheer all IU teams and I think Purdue is a great academic school that I don't like in sports. I respect their history and head-to-head dominance but will take what we have and hope that the trends change in two of the three major sports.

Yes, the university with:
3 National Championships across ALL sports
1 more BIG title than the University of Chicago
Fewer BIG titles than Penn St
IU has 3 programs with more national championships than Purdue's entire athletic department.
Ouch

"3 Natty's"? Women's basketball, golf, ??

Sheep Shearing??
Tractor Pull?
Tabaccy Spit'n?
IU Sucks Chanting?
Fatty Chasing?
Running to IU board after Wins?

Purdue puts the time, effort and due diligence in recruiting, for the short term and the long term. They earn everything they get on the recruiting trail. Its an embarrassment if not a disgrace what IU has failed to accomplish in recruiting. That is on the coaching staff...with approval from their superiors. As Rollie Massimino used to say: "The harder I work.....the luckier I get".
Regardless of how their national recognition blooms to fruition, whether earned, lucky or otherwise, their success makes our success more of an uphill struggle, providing more gravity to the situation, Einstein might say. It’s an inversely proportional sort of thing if Spatial Relations 101 serves me correctly today.

Happy to entertain all you Hoosiers! Next stop Phoenix!
Google it!
Google it!
Don't take my word for it: Google it!

Help me out, I just googled it and it tells me...

17ba859600ac4135a7267b02328881ff

I hope everything worked out for ya...

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT