ADVERTISEMENT

PU got screwed on the ball hitting the ref deal ...

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
what's the rule on that, seems like logic would dictate treat ref as to the part of the court where they were standing .... guess not.

Since he's been at KU, he's been hands down the best coach in CBB. I would say he should at least have 2 by now.

I respectfully disagree. If KU trades conferences with either MSU, UNC, or Duke during his tenure, they don't win nearly as many conference championships. I think his early flame outs in the tournament reflect being able to out last B12 opponents mostly with superior talent combined with familiarity. The lack of familiarity with non-con opponents in the tournament exposes him at times. He's an exceptional coach, but the best... not IMO.

I respectfully disagree. If KU trades conferences with either MSU, UNC, or Duke during his tenure, they don't win nearly as many conference championships. I think his early flame outs in the tournament reflect being able to out last B12 opponents mostly with superior talent combined with familiarity. The lack of familiarity with non-con opponents in the tournament exposes him at times. He's an exceptional coach, but the best... not IMO.

He's got more tournament wins than any other coach since he's been at KU. Flameouts?

Reactions: ItsMillerTime
Coach K:

2007, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017

But I guess chalk it up to the weak ACC?

No, Coach K's flameouts don't disprove the fact that KU under Self generally has an easier path than ACC's and B1G's top teams.

By the way, until Okla made the FF last year, the last B12 team other than KU to make the FF was OK St in 2004.

That is baseless nonsense. btw, The Big 12 has been a better conference than the Big 10 the last 10 years and the stats back that up.

Not at all.

How many teams in the B12 besides KU have won the outright B12 conference since Self has been KU coach?
Answer: One. (None if you limit it to only the last 10 years.)

How many FF appearances by B12 teams other than KU since Self has been at KU?
Answer: 2 (1 if you limit it to only the last 10 years.)

By the way, did Self immediately become a much, much better coach upon leaving Illinois for KU? I ask because he didn't make the FF before he became the KU coach and only won a share of a conference title once (no outright titles).

Still don't understand how people put so much value determining strength of conference with March Madness.

I try to think of it as if it were a best of three series. You're expecting an a lot from young college kids to go on a tough winning streak. Especially the one and done kids. It's not always about pure talent.

The Big 10's best team just got steamrolled by 32 points. That likely wouldn't happen every game and it certainly doesn't define the Big 10 as a whole -- simply because Purdue was horrible for one half.

Not at all.

How many teams in the B12 besides KU have won the outright B12 conference since Self has been KU coach?
Answer: One. (None if you limit it to only the last 10 years.)

How many FF appearances by B12 teams other than KU since Self has been at KU?
Answer: 2 (1 if you limit it to only the last 10 years.)

By the way, did Self immediately become a much, much better coach upon leaving Illinois for KU? I ask because he didn't make the FF before he became the KU coach and only won a share of a conference title once (no outright titles).

He had won 4 conference titles, 2 at Illinois, 2 at Tulsa. The Big 12 has a higher rpi the last ten years than the Big ten. Using tournament results of the two conferences to compare their strength is for simpletons.

Reactions: ItsMillerTime
He had won 4 conference titles, 2 at Illinois, 2 at Tulsa. The Big 12 has a higher rpi the last ten years than the Big ten. Using tournament results of the two conferences to compare their strength is for simpletons.

Thanks for the correction on conference titles.

You pointed to the number of tournament wins as proof that Self is "hands down the best coach in CBB." If the number of wins indicates how good a coach is, why not say Coach K is "hands down the beast coach in CBB"? He has 677 wins during the same time frame (93-94 season to present) vs. Self's 620. Those totals include more tournament wins than Self.

Don't want to say Coach K is "hands down the best coach in CBB"? How about Roy Williams, as he has 680 wins during the same time frame. That total also includes more tournament wins than Self.

You might also say Izzo is "hands down the best coach in CBB" because he has more tournament wins (as well as same number of titles and more FF appearances) than Self in two fewer seasons.

By the way, using RPI to compare teams produces results like Minnesota being seeded 5th while Wisky is seeded 8th and Wichita St. is seeded 10th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT