ADVERTISEMENT

Pregame "pep talk" thoughts

mk30

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2022
Jake Query on The Fan talked about what he thought of CTA's pregame look-in from the Big 10 Network. My thoughts watching it live were exactly the same as what Jake voiced. Dude was going typically berserk and looked virtually unhinged marching back and forth yelling and repeating himself (RELENTLESS, RELENTLESS, RELENTLESS!) Players looked completely unengaged, almost embarrassed to be on TV with this guy. No desired emotion whatsoever.

I'm not a body language expert by any stretch, but that looked for all the world like a team that has tuned out the "leader."

Last edited:
I felt the same way within seconds of it coming on air.... unintelligible, pointless gibberish. Honestly, what the hell was he even saying!...

From the looks of the players.... showing no reaction, it was clear they're not buying it anymore.

Very sad....

I felt the same way within seconds of it coming on air.... unintelligible, pointless gibberish. Honestly, what the hell was he even saying!...

From the looks of the players.... showing no reaction, it was clear they're not buying it anymore.

Very sad....
The players came out playing hard so I guess they were listening it is your and others that don't like Allen to calm down. The players haven't reacted in the past either it isn't any different than before.

The players came out playing hard so I guess they were listening it is your and others that don't like Allen to calm down. The players haven't reacted in the past either it isn't any different than before.I
I totally agree. If there was no buy in by the players why did they play so hard until being deflated by the injury to Williams. When Allen gave a similar speech against Wisconsin people were saying how they were ready to go play and we’re willing to run through a wall. Then of course you have those who complain even in wins.

The players came out playing hard so I guess they were listening it is your and others that don't like Allen to calm down. The players haven't reacted in the past either it isn't any different than before.
Sorry, I can't agree.... I don't think they were playing well because of Allen and his "motivational" speech. I give these guys more credit... I think they have more pride in themselves and how well they play than with some over-the-top, unintelligent speech that's basically the same thing every week.... I believe most of the older players have been playing hard as much for their personal pride, if not more than for the coach. I never played poorly because I didn't like the coach or thought he didn't know what he was doing... (fortunately, I only played for one coach like that)......... looking back the majority of my teammates were the same... I think the QB debacle and the OL coaching disaster took a huge toll on the players and that's all on CTA's shoulders... and no one elses.

Last edited:
The video they play before the game of him going acting like a lunatic in the locker room is embarrassing.
I’ve sat beside visiting fans and they just laugh and shake their heads.
His speeches always look staged and rehearsed,nothing off the cuff.

As others have said, if we've got a single guy on that team depending on Tommy to fire them up, we've got far bigger problems than just crappy execution. These dudes aren't HS kids. Several are 4th and 5th year veterans. They play hard for themselves, their families, and their hometowns.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Absolutely. these players have to understand that their careers have an expiration date. It goes fast, and there are only so many opportunities to play the game You don't want to be that guy sitting behind a desk at a real job two years from now thinking, "If only I had....", and regretting the fact You hadn't done more.

From a Coaching standpoint, if You have good Players who are well prepared, You don't have to do this stuff. Emphasize the points You want to in your pregame speech, and maybe throw in something energetic at the end about the importance of the game or rivalry. You can't keep going to the well too often with this stuff, because when it doesn't work, it's like watching the first 20 Minutes of a movie and knowing how it will end

Rockne and Lombardi could get away with the high volume, high intensity, motivational speech from time to time, but they didn't use it every week.

I knew that Allen was toast when he started losing Indy area DL’s (remember, he’s supposed to be a defensive “guru”) to his in state rival. That told me that recruits see his program as a dead end.

Absolutely. these players have to understand that their careers have an expiration date. It goes fast, and there are only so many opportunities to play the game You don't want to be that guy sitting behind a desk at a real job two years from now thinking, "If only I had....", and regretting the fact You hadn't done more.

From a Coaching standpoint, if You have good Players who are well prepared, You don't have to do this stuff. Emphasize the points You want to in your pregame speech, and maybe throw in something energetic at the end about the importance of the game or rivalry. You can't keep going to the well too often with this stuff, because when it doesn't work, it's like watching the first 20 Minutes of a movie and knowing how it will end

Rockne and Lombardi could get away with the high volume, high intensity, motivational speech from time to time, but they didn't use it every week.
The biggest difference is that those coaches won on a regular basis. So whatever style of motivational speech they give it's going to be successful

As others have said, if we've got a single guy on that team depending on Tommy to fire them up, we've got far bigger problems than just crappy execution. These dudes aren't HS kids. Several are 4th and 5th year veterans. They play hard for themselves, their families, and their hometowns.
Their hometowns?

Jake Query on The Fan talked about what he thought of CTA's pregame look-in from the Big 10 Network. My thoughts watching it live were exactly the same as what Jake voiced. Dude was going typically berserk and looked virtually unhinged marching back and forth yelling and repeating himself (RELENTLESS, RELENTLESS, RELENTLESS!) Players looked completely unengaged, almost embarrassed to be on TV with this guy. No desired emotion whatsoever.

I'm not a body language expert by any stretch, but that looked for all the world like a team that has tuned out the "leader."
They've tuned his shtick out.

Reactions: mk30
Exactly. Yes, he nee

Rockne and Lombardi never jumped around screaming and pumping their fists like CTA. No top top coach does that stuff constantly. It just oozes lack of discipline and composure. The only time Saban approaches that level of excitement is when he pissed off.

Reactions: mk30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT