ADVERTISEMENT

Post Spring B1G Football Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Card did that for another team, another HC and OC, in another system, and with far more talented players around him. I’m not saying Walters won’t do well at Purdue, but the odds of him doing well out of the gate aren’t good, for all of the reasons I’ve stated. To be fair, posters here play the upgrade card on coaches and players, too, and it’s typically just as invalid.
But Purdue wasn’t in need of some saving upgrade. They won the west last year.

You’re questioning the talent of card? He’s the guy who only did what he did because everything else at Texas was so good? Come on man. Purdue has always had the apparatus to pass well. If he can pass well at Texas, who hasn’t been “Texas” in big bright lights since the Vince young days, he can pass well at Purdue.

Where is Purdue operating at a talent deficit? What positions? You made a claim.

Walters had #3 defense in America with mostly 5.5 RR guys. Gabe Jacas was a 5.5 true freshman

Last edited:
It’s a new mechanism. Put it this way. Not a lot of coaches could take a drastically different defense and install it in one offseason before the portal. That mechanism exists now.

And the same way Indiana can go get Andre carter.. a defensive end I’ll be watching, Walters has that mechanism too.

Incoming:

DE Jeffrey M’ba
DE Malik Langham
NT Isiah Nichols
NT Jamarion Harkless 2023

They’ll join Cole brevard, Demarje Lewis and Mo Omonode to complete a DL transformation that couldn’t have been attempted before the portal. Indiana will benefit from this as well. Schemes will become important, non big ten caliber starters will disappear across the conference
You’re talking about plug and play as if it’s been proven to work when, overwhelmingly, we’ve seen no such thing. Combine a large number of new players with new coaches and new schemes and the likelihood for early success is extremely low. Add injuries to the mix and it gets even lower. Again, it’s not that Walters won’t succeed at some point, but early success in spite of those rather significant challenges isn’t likely.

Iowa put it to Purdue last year due to high winds and Brohms stubbornness. Idk what caused the piss poor performance vs Wisconsin. Crapped the bed. Brohm played Wisconsin tough though, should have beat them twice. The team also started turning on Brohm at that point in the season.

Talent didn't lose those games. Brohms refusal to run or field a defense did. Brohm had some major faults.

LSU, hard to even bring that up. The shell of a staff was recruiting the team to Louisville vs prepping. Coaches didn't care. Should have had Brees coach and told every Brohm coach that stuck around to leave. Poor management. Luckily, most of the team had turned on Brohm and had no interest in following him. Purdue was within single digits of Michigan until into the 4th. Not bad for a team that knew their coach was gone and a coach that knew he was gone vs the 2nd best team in the country. Imo, the team was quitting on Brohm because he's had one foot out the door for 2 years and was destroying the culture he built early.

Not saying Purdue is world beaters, but there isn't anything to suggest Iowa and Wisconsin has way more talent. Otherwise, Purdue wouldn't have won the west last year. I expect Purdue to win 6-7 and not get smoked in any game.
These are the musings of someone who’s obviously never been around a football program and has no idea of what goes into building a sustainably successful one. The Brohm comments, in particular, are hysterically naive.

But Purdue wasn’t in need of some saving upgrade. They won the west last year.

You’re questioning the talent of card? He’s the guy who only did what he did because everything else at Texas was so good? Come on man. Purdue has always had the apparatus to pass well. If he can pass well at Texas, who hasn’t been “Texas” in big bright lights since the Vince young days, he can pass well at Purdue.

Where is Purdue operating at a talent deficit? What positions? You made a claim.

Walters had #3 defense in America with mostly 5.5 RR guys. Gabe Jacas was a 5.5 true freshman
That you’re quoting Rivals ratings as your indicator of talent says everything about what you don’t know. And Card would’ve been #3 or #4 on a decent but hardly great UT team this Fall. He left because his only hope of playing involved mass attrition ahead of him. He may turn out great but early success isn’t likely.

These are the musings of someone who’s obviously never been around a football program and has no idea of what goes into building a sustainably successful one. The Brohm comments, in particular, are hysterically naive.
They are naive? In what way? Half the team was going to transfer if Brohm stay. No one followed him to Louisville and he recruited some of them hard. Brohm was great, did great things at Purdue. But this isn't bitterness from him leaving. These have been reported by insiders after the fact with rumblings starting in early October. Players quit mid-season... Many thanks, but the transition seems to have come at the right time. Now, did Purdue get it right? We will see. I think they did, but time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
They are naive? In what way? Half the team was going to transfer if Brohm stay. No one followed him to Louisville and he recruited some of them hard. Brohm was great, did great things at Purdue. But this isn't bitterness from him leaving. These have been reported by insiders after the fact with rumblings starting in early October. Players quit mid-season... Many thanks, but the transition seems to have come at the right time. Now, did Purdue get it right? We will see. I think they did, but time will tell.
Half the team? Did that include Brady Allen? And plenty of coaches don’t poach kids from their old spot. What’s likely, though, is that Brohm realized most of that “half a team” weren’t going to be able to help him at U of L.

Half the team? Did that include Brady Allen? And plenty of coaches don’t poach kids from their old spot. What’s likely, though, is that Brohm realized most of that “half a team” weren’t going to be able to help him at U of L.
Allen was third string at Purdue when he left. Shocked he went to Louisville tbh. Mockabee he recruited hard. He's allegedly still recruiting Miller. Brohm poached big time when he left WKU. You don't have to believe me, but its been well reported by many highly respected Purdue reporters. Brohm was starting to rub people wrong. Idk why you can't believe that

Like I said, super thankful for what he's done and will never try to diminish what he did at Purdue. It was truly impressive, but I'm glad to have Walters.

That you’re quoting Rivals ratings as your indicator of talent says everything about what you don’t know. And Card would’ve been #3 or #4 on a decent but hardly great UT team this Fall. He left because his only hope of playing involved mass attrition ahead of him. He may turn out great but early success isn’t likely.
But.. he was successful. Are you telling me that Texas can get 4 guys who can start at Purdue? No way.

What other number should I use besides rivals rating? Is it perfect? No. Is it the best we have before these guys get to college? Yes.

nobody Illinois had was thought of as this massive pro prospect coming out of high school. There was no George karlaftis where you had alabama and Clemson offering the guy.

Sydney brown was getting smoked by Isaac Zico before Ryan Walters got there.

Purdue is not operating at a talent deficit. They have the talent to win with good coaching. And just like I said you guys would be good in 2020 and we would be 8-4 last year.. I’m telling you Purdue will go 7-5 at least this year.

You don’t think nic caraway and Devin mockobee could help him at Louisville?

Allen isn’t an air raid QB. Ryan Browne beat him out this spring. Good QB for brohms system though.

Ps.. you do realize one can read all rivals boards for $8 now right? This is the best thing that $96/year has bought me so far, courtesy of your site….

“Nowhere to go but down. When I sit and think about what is this team's biggest concern, a few things come to mind but honestly, the biggest one is that I have no idea where this program is going.

If that was on our site, I’m not sure how much posting energy I’d give to telling others how doomed they are.

My favorite reply was danc saying something like “jeez, not used to things being so blunt around here.”

Allen was third string at Purdue when he left. Shocked he went to Louisville tbh. Mockabee he recruited hard. He's allegedly still recruiting Miller. Brohm poached big time when he left WKU. You don't have to believe me, but its been well reported by many highly respected Purdue reporters. Brohm was starting to rub people wrong. Idk why you can't believe that

Like I said, super thankful for what he's done and will never try to diminish what he did at Purdue. It was truly impressive, but I'm glad to have Walters.
He’s actively recruiting a current player at Purdue? Presume he was reported to the NCAA, as that’s a no-no. And I’m not suggesting he was wildly popular with everyone at Purdue, but no one wanted him to leave, because he was building your program. Walters might do the same, but Brohm was already doing it. Change immediately makes one consider new possibilities, but new outcomes are rarely immediate.

You don’t think nic caraway and Devin mockobee could help him at Louisville?

Allen isn’t an air raid QB. Ryan Browne beat him out this spring. Good QB for brohms system though.
Those two? Sure. And Allen. But that’s a small number.

He’s actively recruiting a current player at Purdue? Presume he was reported to the NCAA, as that’s a no-no. And I’m not suggesting he was wildly popular with everyone at Purdue, but no one wanted him to leave, because he was building your program. Walters might do the same, but Brohm was already doing it. Change immediately makes one consider new possibilities, but new outcomes are rarely immediate.
Purdue wouldn't have made a bowl this you if Brohm stayed. They will next year.

It's a no-no, but it happens everywhere. NCAA has zero control atm.

Ps.. you do realize one can read all rivals boards for $8 now right? This is the best thing that $96/year has bought me so far, courtesy of your site….

“Nowhere to go but down. When I sit and think about what is this team's biggest concern, a few things come to mind but honestly, the biggest one is that I have no idea where this program is going.

If that was on our site, I’m not sure how much posting energy I’d give to telling others how doomed they are.

My favorite reply was danc saying something like “jeez, not used to things being so blunt around here.”
That’s a great attempt at diversion, but it’s also incredibly transparent. I never once said you were doomed, only that your overall talent level is modest and that early success as defined by you (7-5 to 9-3) was highly unlikely, all for reasons that early success when first time coaches get jobs is exceedingly rare. If you find that blunt, so be it. But history shows it to be overwhelmingly accurate.
Purdue wouldn't have made a bowl this you if Brohm stayed. They will next year.
They’ll make one this year with Walters but wouldn’t have made one with Brohm? Lol.

That’s a great attempt at diversion, but it’s also incredibly transparent. I never once said you were doomed, only that your overall talent level is modest and that early success as defined by you (7-5 to 9-3) was highly unlikely, all for reasons that early success when first time coaches get jobs is exceedingly rare. If you find that blunt, so be it. But history shows it to be overwhelmingly accurate.

They’ll make one this year with Walters but wouldn’t have made one with Brohm? Lol.
Okay so just as I promised Iowa fans during basketball season (I made good) just don’t run when I’m right

No, because a lot of guys would have transferred and I'm not sure Brohm would have had the portal success Walters had. O'Connell covered up a ton of flaws for Brohm last year. Including convincing him to bring in Jones. Whose the QB this year with Brohm staying?

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Maybe they’ll make one but, if Walters does, Brohm surely would’ve, too.
That’s between you two but I will tell you I heard multiple times that the team behind the scenes was on the brink of mutiny over Greg brohm and the only one keeping the defense together off the field was Branson Deen.

Here let’s do this drill on talent. Who on Nebraska has ever proven to be talented and productive. Why are they different? Cause they have Matt rhule? Okay.. tell me about all the coaches who went back to college from the pros and did so great.

How do you know those kids didn’t initiate contact with him? And did he violate that rule while he was Purdue’s Coach?
Allegedly, he did. MSU did it when taking Carr a couple years ago. You are naive I'd you think it doesn't happen.

All of those schools except NU have a talent edge and, in most cases, a staff edge (Rhule and Fickell are new to their schools, but both have considerable HC experience, while Ferentz, Bielema, and Fleck have seasoned staffs and systems). First time head coaches usually take awhile to get acclimated, and first year head coaches with talent in the bottom third of the conference usually take even longer.
The seasoned Illinois defensive coaches currently at Purdue say hello!

Reactions: BoilerN
The seasoned Illinois defensive coaches currently at Purdue say hello!
How many of Purdue‘s players did they coach last year? And did Purdue run the same D as U of I? Rather than saying hello, those coaches are probably trying to infuse a new defensive philosophy in your team. That’s how these things work.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allegedly, he did. MSU did it when taking Carr a couple years ago. You are naive I'd you think it doesn't happen.
Allegedly? Lol. In other words, you’re guessing. How many incoming players did Walters tamper with prior to their decision to transfer to Purdue?

Allegedly? Lol. In other words, you’re guessing. How many incoming players did Walters tamper with prior to their decision to transfer to Purdue?
Couldn't tell ya on Walters. Haven't heard anything. Only player I'd say it's possible on us the Ole Miss transfer. But I say allegedly because he was accused of it last year. Jeesh. Idk what you want. I tell you facts that hurt Brohm and help Brohm and you tell me I'm wrong. I tell you the culture was turning and you don't believe me. This is all stuff that has been recorded by reporters. I honestly have no idea what point you are making. But if you don't want to believe what's been reported, more power to you.

All of those schools except NU have a talent edge and, in most cases, a staff edge (Rhule and Fickell are new to their schools, but both have considerable HC experience, while Ferentz, Bielema, and Fleck have seasoned staffs and systems). First time head coaches usually take awhile to get acclimated, and first year head coaches with talent in the bottom third of the conference usually take even longer.
I wouldn’t underestimate Fickle… but I don’t think the personnel this year is up to recent standards.
Fickle has shown he does well with G5 level talent, and I think Wisky will compete in the West.

Couldn't tell ya on Walters. Haven't heard anything. Only player I'd say it's possible on us the Ole Miss transfer. But I say allegedly because he was accused of it last year. Jeesh. Idk what you want. I tell you facts that hurt Brohm and help Brohm and you tell me I'm wrong. I tell you the culture was turning and you don't believe me. This is all stuff that has been recorded by reporters. I honestly have no idea what point you are making. But if you don't want to believe what's been reported, more power to you.
Did Purdue want Brohm to leave? Yes or no?

I wouldn’t underestimate Fickle… but I don’t think the personnel this year is up to recent standards.
Fickle has shown he does well with G5 level talent, and I think Wisky will compete in the West.
Fickel is an excellent coach. They should be pretty good.

You're quite the Brohm fan aren't you and you know no one at PU wanted him to leave? If courtsense has been right about you all along I'm going to puke... pun intended.

You're quite the Brohm fan aren't you and you know no one at PU wanted him to leave? If courtsense has been right about you all along I'm going to puke... pun intended.
Nope, though it’s pretty obvious he can coach. Do you think Purdue wanted him to leave? Why do you think they wanted him to leave after paying him the way they did? And Courtsense right about something? Seriously?

"Highly respected PUke reporters", OXYMORON!

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerN
I'm still not sure what point he's trying to prove... no one wanted Brohm to leave, but Brohm has had one foot out the door for two years and it has affected Purdue. Recruiting took a huge slide the past two years. His heart was in Louisville last year and he knew he was going in early October. That's not to take away from what he did. It was incredible. Forever thankful. It's also well known there were major culture issues brewing. Well. Well known to everyone but Jack

And again, what about first time head coaches arriving for reasons other than the coach being fired? What about QBs who performed well at a big time program but were beat out by top 5 recruits?

I think if Walters had to set his defense up in 2005, you’d be right. Absolutely. Now, not just Walters, but a lot of coaches can do it in one offseason

What positions are you seeing low talent at?

Purdue got manhandled last year by physical teams like @ Wisconsin and Iowa at home. Illinois DBs were considered a strong unit last year and even IU passed all up and down the field on them with a weak offense. That said, Walters will make them better over time but probably not right out of the gate.

In all fairness, every fan is “excited” about a new coach. It’s the unknown. It’s “what can be.”
You were excited about Hazell.

I'm still not sure what point he's trying to prove... no one wanted Brohm to leave, but Brohm has had one foot out the door for two years and it has affected Purdue. Recruiting took a huge slide the past two years. His heart was in Louisville last year and he knew he was going in early October. That's not to take away from what he did. It was incredible. Forever thankful. It's also well known there were major culture issues brewing. Well. Well known to everyone but Jack
The original issue was you claiming Walters would do better out of the gate than Brohm, which makes little sense. You diverted the discussion because you couldn’t support your position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT