ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Thoughts

So.In.Hoosier95

Redshirt
Nov 22, 2020
That WKU offense is as advertised…they could beat any bottom half B1G team on any given day. They are for real, and their defense is no slouch.

With that being said…that was the worst I’ve seen a CTA defense defend the run in quite some time. There is a lot to learn from the first 3 games…but thankfully they are on the winning side. The team and staff need to build on this momentum and sharpen their performance. A lot of season left! Go Hoosiers!

That WKU offense is as advertised…they could beat any bottom half B1G team on any given day. They are for real, and their defense is no slouch.

With that being said…that was the worst I’ve seen a CTA defense defend the run in quite some time. There is a lot to learn from the first 3 games…but thankfully they are on the winning side. The team and staff need to build on this momentum and sharpen their performance. A lot of season left! Go Hoosiers!
The way WKU runs is very hard to defend. See IUs Kevin Wilson teams. When you have a QB and receivers that can routinely make plays all the way out to the edges. And you setup running lanes differently with more diagonal, even side to side blocking… it’s just tough to be able to stop both the run AND the perimeter short passing game.

IU isn’t good/athletic enough to stop both. Our secondary, safeties especially aren’t good enough finishing near the line of scrimmage. So we ended up getting gashed in both areas. We missed a lot of early tackle opportunities on the edges that led to big gains. And it naturally sucked our LBs more out to the edges to support. And then we got hammered with runs.

OSU obviously plays this way, not sure who else. Cincy might?

We lack speed. We do well when the field is shortened on D and we aren't getting beat in the secondary and to the outside as badly.

Reactions: 76-1
Agree on WKU offense, they are very sound fundamentally and with both teams running an up tempo scheme, I would've been surprised if they didn't get to at least 21 by the end of the game. We were very sloppy defensively, missed assignments, players not staying home on basic run plays led to several of their gash plays. Jurrell Casey misread the hole on a couple of their runs, Monster overcommitted to the pass and took himself out of the play leading to their largest run of the day(on the upside we saw McCullough has really good speed for someone standing at 6'5, 230) Sanguinetti misread a run and played counter on an inside zone. In his defense, that was a very well designed play, WKU pulled both their Guard and TE to fool the defense into thinking it was a counter but the point is, it turned what should be a five yard pickup into a gain of twenty. They've gotta clean up their their tackling and stick to their assigments the rest of the way, because Idk about y'all, but I don't think our offense will be able to bail them out against most of our future opponents.

I really wasn't very impressed with their defense though, we saw what Penix did to them last year, the biggest difference in our performance YoY was the guy distributing the ball. Our running backs and O-line showed that pound for pound, our players are more talented than theirs when they're executing even close to properly. Penix tore them apart last year and made it look easy. That game leaves me cautious for any optimism about Bazelak, he needs to be more consistent if we want a chance to compete against high quality opponents.

Reactions: midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT