ADVERTISEMENT

Poll on the hiring - from a somewhat interested outsider

How do you feel about the Woodson/Matta hiring?

• I love it - better than I had hoped for!

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I was hoping for someone else, but this could turn out well

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • I feel like IU settled for less than it should have

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • This is awful. I can't believe they fired Archie for this!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No opinion

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
So, I've been rather harsh on IU's hiring of the Woodson/Matta duo. In all honesty, I do hope they bring IU back near the top of the Big Ten. Hell, I would love to see IU/PU duking it out for titles like the good old days. (Just like one day I want the Bucket Game to be for a Big Ten title - we can dream, right?). So....please answer honestly. It's anonymous

So, I've been rather harsh on IU's hiring of the Woodson/Matta duo. In all honesty, I do hope they bring IU back near the top of the Big Ten. Hell, I would love to see IU/PU duking it out for titles like the good old days. (Just like one day I want the Bucket Game to be for a Big Ten title - we can dream, right?). So....please answer honestly. It's anonymous

I don't give a rat's ass about anonymity. I checked the second box. I wanted Brad Stevens regardless of how unlikely his hiring might have been. That said, the unique hiring of both Woodson and Matta can be a great thing. I'm excited about the future of IU basketball. A lot of the other candidates would have just been the next coming of Crean/Miller.

MCIOTB - My Coach Is On The Bench.

I don't have high hopes at all, but I also thought the last two hires were good when they occurred. So now I just expect failure and will be happily surprised if something better than total ineptitude occurs

I don't give a rat's ass about anonymity. I checked the second box. I wanted Brad Stevens regardless of how unlikely his hiring might have been. That said, the unique hiring of both Woodson and Matta can be a great thing. I'm excited about the future of IU basketball. A lot of the other candidates would have just been the next coming of Crean/Miller.

I have bad news for you, that sums up my opinion almost exactly. So which one of us is wrong?

I don't have high hopes at all, but I also thought the last two hires were good when they occurred. So now I just expect failure and will be happily surprised if something better than total ineptitude occurs

Looks like they wanted Matta, but then he didn't want a full-time gig so they settled on Woodson?

Woodson was a mediocre NBA head coach. His 3 playoff appearances were in historically crappy eastern conferences. Teams with losing records making playoffs. I'm more concerned about x's and o's than recruiting. I actually think it should be easy for Woodson to recruit given his NBA background, though I personally find his personality a bit boring. But I don't see him winning without superior talent. Offensively he was all isolation. He relied on Joe Johnson as a quasi-star. But Johnson wasn't good enough to carry them beyond 2nd round. Pure isolation. In terms of accountability, I simply didn't see it. Would let JR Smith let him do whatever he wants with no accountability. In Atlanta the same. Would always play the vet over the up and coming rook. Rook got no benefit of the doubt. There is a reason players are lauding him. "Players coach" isn't always a good thing. Let's see what happens, but I'm not super optimistic.

I have bad news for you, that sums up my opinion almost exactly. So which one of us is wrong?
His age is important. He will be the strong mental influence on the minds of young college kids that Crean or Miller never could pull off. For those who need it, he will be a strong father figure. He was kinda of a shoulder shrug for me when speculation about him first came up, Post announcement links I found tells me he commands respect from, by, and among the players. He gives it in return. That will show up in the style of play which will be more disciplined. He likes to coach defense. Wonder where that comes from. Don’t know if this will bring a string of final four appearances, but I think IU will be a strong conference presence.

His age is important. He will be the strong mental influence on the minds of young college kids that Crean or Miller never could pull off. For those who need it, he will be a strong father figure. He was kinda of a shoulder shrug for me when speculation about him first came up, Post announcement links I found tells me he commands respect from, by, and among the players. He gives it in return. That will show up in the style of play which will be more disciplined. He likes to coach defense. Wonder where that comes from. Don’t know if this will bring a string of final four appearances, but I think IU will be a strong conference presence.

As opposed to the used-car-salesmanship of Crean and the I-don't-know-what's-going-on of Miller, Woodson has a gravitas and a story to tell that will resonate with kids and their families.

He's going "to build on the foundation" and "bridge the gap."

As opposed to the used-car-salesmanship of Crean and the I-don't-know-what's-going-on of Miller, Woodson has a gravitas and a story to tell that will resonate with kids and their families.

He's going "to build on the foundation" and "bridge the gap."
Exactly. “Gravitas” is an excellent word to describe him.

I think Woodson will do fine, but my first impression was that IU sees what places like Georgetown and Michigan are doing with all-time great basketball alums and want to go that route. Whether that's right or not, I'm not sure.

I think Matta could be the real steal here. He's a smart, passionate basketball coach and not having to be the face of the program is probably the best of both worlds for him. I'm not sure this is what he was looking for specifically, but this would seem to be the best case scenario for him to get back into coaching.

Matta is a proven winner at the college level and knows how to build a program. With the resources IU seems to be willing to put forth, that ability to win will only be stronger, even with his health issues. As long as he and Woodson have a good working relationship, this should go really, really well.

there are many camps

1) old timers who feel that strengthening ties to the past and can only help and that Woodie must surely know his stuff, considering the people who have coached him and who he has coached with
2) another group of old-timers who hate all things NBA and thus think that NBA playing/coaching experience is more of a negative than a positive, so he's bascially dropping in out of the sky after 41 years in the desert
3) Those that were hoping for a safer pick (Beard, Stevens, Musselman, etc.) and are folding their arms and saying "show me"
4) A few Trumpers (not all of them, mind you!) with concerns regarding pigmentation (I have already seen "the next Mike Davis, should make all of you snowflakes happy" from a poster or two)
5) Those who are glad that we are trying a different approach than with the last three hires and are hopeful, if not optimistic, to see it succeed

Last edited:
I love the hire. Woodie spoke about family at the press conference this morning. That has been missing at IU for a long time. There are a few programs that have the history and success and story of IU. We lost a connection to that. I have no doubt that Woodie understands basketball. We'll see if he can recruit. But I do believe we'll see a return to an environment around IU basketball of which we can be proud. He'll coach young men both on and off the court.

This is the correct answer.

I love the hire. Woodie spoke about family at the press conference this morning. That has been missing at IU for a long time. There are a few programs that have the history and success and story of IU. We lost a connection to that. I have no doubt that Woodie understands basketball. We'll see if he can recruit. But I do believe we'll see a return to an environment around IU basketball of which we can be proud. He'll coach young men both on and off the court.
Bingo.
Nobody knows how the wins and losses play out but the culture that was Indiana basketball will have a hell of a chance to show itself after 20 years of being put on ice.

Bingo.
Nobody knows how the wins and losses play out but the culture that was Indiana basketball will have a hell of a chance to show itself after 20 years of being put on ice.
My sentiments, exactly! I checked the second box, but after a lot of thought, I like the hire with the Matta pipeline to steer MW on the right recruiting path. And witnessing how well former NBA player Juwan Howard's UM team looked yesterday displaying outstanding teamwork and precision passing, it inspired me to give the "IU" guy a fighting chance. Of course, Howard has the talent that IU doesn't, but, hopefully, that could very well change for the better. Hell, this is what? The sixth coach (if you count Jockitch as interim) since RMK's firing over 20 years ago. Maybe IU has found a diamond in the rough. I loved Woodson as a player and support his hiring.

My sentiments, exactly! I checked the second box, but after a lot of thought, I like the hire with the Matta pipeline to steer MW on the right recruiting path. And witnessing how well former NBA player Juwan Howard's UM team looked yesterday displaying outstanding teamwork and precision passing, it inspired me to give the "IU" guy a fighting chance. Of course, Howard has the talent that IU doesn't, but, hopefully, that could very well change for the better. Hell, this is what? The sixth coach (if you count Jockitch as interim) since RMK's firing over 20 years ago. Maybe IU has found a diamond in the rough. I loved Woodson as a player and support his hiring.
This will be Woodson's team...his vision. I see Matta as helping with the initial administrative garbage and helping Woody with the discussion of what players are available to help create Woodson's team in the short term and by leveraging his contacts. Matta will be extremely valuable in those capacities.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
Box 2 is too obvious. Everyone wanted Stevens.

I chose Box 1 because I always assumed Stevens was a pipe dream. I'd have been very happy with Just Woodson OR Matta. BOTH is pretty sensational.

Reactions: UncleMark
This will be Woodson's team...his vision. I see Matta as helping with the initial administrative garbage and helping Woody with the discussion of what players are available to help create Woodson's team in the short term and by leveraging his contacts. Matta will be extremely valuable in those capacities.

I agree. I think Matta will be huge on the recruiting front. I'm not expecting an Oden/Conley type class every year, but he knows how to land the top guys. Hiring Woodson and Matta instantly made it harder for other schools to pull top talent out of Indiana.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
I agree. I think Matta will be huge on the recruiting front. I'm not expecting an Oden/Conley type class every year, but he knows how to land the top guys. Hiring Woodson and Matta instantly made it harder for other schools to pull top talent out of Indiana.
Except that he isn't allowed contact with recruits or coaches. I fugure though that his rolodex of coaching contacts will be huge for Mike to tap into.

Except that he isn't allowed contact with recruits or coaches. I fugure though that his rolodex of coaching contacts will be huge for Mike to tap into.
Matta will also be a big help to Woody just acclimating him to the minutia of NCAA rules and compliance bullshit -- who can talk to who when and about what, all that nonsense that Woody won't have a clue about. Sure, we have a compliance staff, but I suspect they're more administrative and reactionary than anything else. Matta can keep Woody from making innocent mistakes. They're going to happen -- they always do, everywhere -- but Thad should help keep them to a minimum. Too many minor infractions can add up and get you into hot water.

I mean it can't be any worse than Archie fvcking Miller, can it?

Looks like they wanted Matta, but then he didn't want a full-time gig so they settled on Woodson?

Woodson was a mediocre NBA head coach. His 3 playoff appearances were in historically crappy eastern conferences. Teams with losing records making playoffs. I'm more concerned about x's and o's than recruiting. I actually think it should be easy for Woodson to recruit given his NBA background, though I personally find his personality a bit boring. But I don't see him winning without superior talent. Offensively he was all isolation. He relied on Joe Johnson as a quasi-star. But Johnson wasn't good enough to carry them beyond 2nd round. Pure isolation. In terms of accountability, I simply didn't see it. Would let JR Smith let him do whatever he wants with no accountability. In Atlanta the same. Would always play the vet over the up and coming rook. Rook got no benefit of the doubt. There is a reason players are lauding him. "Players coach" isn't always a good thing. Let's see what happens, but I'm not super optimistic.
Not sure how you pulled this off but literally everything you said here is wrong. Is Googling the facts before you throw out a novel of drivel really that hard? Sheesh

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
there are many camps

1) old timers who feel that strengthening ties to the past and can only help and that Woodie must surely know his stuff, considering the people who have coached him and who he has coached with
2) another group of old-timers who hate all things NBA and thus think that NBA playing/coaching experience is more of a negative than a positive, so he's bascially dropping in out of the sky after 41 years in the desert
3) Those that were hoping for a safer pick (Beard, Stevens, Musselman, etc.) and are folding their arms and saying "show me"
4) A few Trumpers (not all of them, mind you!) with concerns regarding pigmentation (I have already seen "the next Mike Davis, should make all of you snowflakes happy" from a poster or two)
5) Those who are glad that we are trying a different approach than with the last three hires and are hopeful, if not optimistic, to see it succeed
This is spot on

Merge camps 3 and 5 and it's close to where I stand. The "different approach" part includes bringing in Matta to be Woody's liaison to today's college game and the NCAA. That could turn out to be a stroke of genius.

Last edited:
Merge camps 3 and 5 and it's close top where I stand. The "different approach" part includes bringing in Matta to be Woody's liaison to today's college game and the NCAA. That could turn out to be a stroke of genius.
I've moved to cautious optimism b/c we've been like Charlie Brown and the football the last 20 years. Dolson is putting his neck out there. Matta has something to prove and Woodson clearly understands what Indiana basketball means to an awful lot of people and appears like he WANTS that responsibility.

Whatever it is it can't be worse than Archie.

I've moved to cautious optimism b/c we've been like Charlie Brown and the football the last 20 years. Dolson is putting his neck out there. Matta has something to prove and Woodson clearly understands what Indiana basketball means to an awful lot of people and appears like he WANTS that responsibility.

Whatever it is it can't be worse than Archie.
Does no one watch horror movies, never say it can't get worse:).

Reactions: DrHoops and larsIU
And now we have Fife back on the IU bench.

I have to say, Woodson has been killing it so far. Sure do hope they can win some games.
Fife was the last I closely followed IU basketball. So much respect for him as an athlete. The guy was a blue chip who failed miserably to live up to his expectation, but busted his ass year after year to become a great defender (no glory in that) and got his shot to come around by the time he left to be a complete player. Perfect mold. Great example

Reactions: UncleMark
Fife was the last I closely followed IU basketball. So much respect for him as an athlete. The guy was a blue chip who failed miserably to live up to his expectation, but busted his ass year after year to become a great defender (no glory in that) and got his shot to come around by the time he left to be a complete player. Perfect mold. Great example
I have no idea how much he's contributed to the MSU program's success, but I doubt Izzo would have kept him around as long as he has without thinking he brought a lot of value. We'll see how it works out in Bloomington. One has to believe that the head coach position is something he is looking for in the future.

I have no idea how much he's contributed to the MSU program's success, but I doubt Izzo would have kept him around as long as he has without thinking he brought a lot of value. We'll see how it works out in Bloomington. One has to believe that the head coach position is something he is looking for in the future.
For sure. That guy’s a fighter

Last edited:
i'll also add that given the circumstances i don't think this AD could have done a better job. on all fronts. iu fans should be over the moon. way more entertaining than miller

i'll also add that given the circumstances i don't think this AD could have done a better job. on all fronts. iu fans should be over the moon. way more entertaining than miller
Some of the nutters were ready to pillary Dolson for not landing Stevens (or Beard or Drew or whoever), but they've been quiet recently. Given the circumstances, I think Dolson could end up in the IU Hall of Fame. (Or, he could be run out of town on a rail.) Bringing Matta onboard in an advisory/overseer position was genius. Of course, Miller was supposed to be the home run hire four years ago, so we'll just have to see. I'm optimistic we'll be back on top of the college basketball scene for a number of years.

Some of the nutters were ready to pillary Dolson for not landing Stevens (or Beard or Drew or whoever), but they've been quiet recently. Given the circumstances, I think Dolson could end up in the IU Hall of Fame. (Or, he could be run out of town on a rail.) Bringing Matta onboard in an advisory/overseer position was genius. Of course, Miller was supposed to be the home run hire four years ago, so we'll just have to see. I'm optimistic we'll be back on top of the college basketball scene for a number of years.
Hated the Miller hire from the start.

The Fife coup clinched it for me.

This isn’t just a good ole boy reunion at Kilroys. To land a guy with Fife’s chops shows just how serious they are.

Only time will tell if it’s gonna work. But they’re gonna bring in some heavyweights and give it their best shot.

Can’t really ask for more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT