ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching strategy for the Terps...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Will the Terps go with their ace right out of the gate against us or save him and go with their No. 2 or No. 3 starter since we are the 8th seed? - and looking at their stats, they have two starting aces for their Friday and Saturday starts during the season and they have alternated those starters some during the season as far as the Friday start goes. Here are a couple of their stats and their No. 1 and No. 2 starters are quite similar in numbers. Maryland is 2nd in hitting in the B1G with a team batting avg. of .308 and their team ERA is 4.80 which is 4th in the league. I guess I should add that Dean pitched the 2nd (Fri) game of the Purdue series with Ramsey missing a start, so I'm guessing that Ramsey will be on the mound against us.

RHP Jason Savacool and he has been starting the last two or three series of the season on Friday. He has an ERA of 2.71 with a WHIP of 1.01.

LHP Ryan Ramsey has often been the Saturday starter and he has an ERA of 2.98 with a WHIP of 1.04.

RHP Nick Dean has been their Sunday starter and he has an ERA of 4.54 with a WHIP of 1.36.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Will the Terps go with their ace right out of the gate against us or save him and go with their No. 2 or No. 3 starter since we are the 8th seed? - and looking at their stats, they have two starting aces for their Friday and Saturday starts during the season and they have alternated those starters some during the season as far as the Friday start goes. Here are a couple of their stats and their No. 1 and No. 2 starters are quite similar in numbers. Maryland is 2nd in hitting in the B1G with a team batting avg. of .308 and their team ERA is 4.80 which is 4th in the league. I guess I should add that Dean pitched the 2nd (Fri) game of the Purdue series with Ramsey missing a start, so I'm guessing that Ramsey will be on the mound against us.

RHP Jason Savacool and he has been starting the last two or three series of the season on Friday. He has an ERA of 2.71 with a WHIP of 1.01.

LHP Ryan Ramsey has often been the Saturday starter and he has an ERA of 2.98 with a WHIP of 1.04.

RHP Nick Dean has been their Sunday starter and he has an ERA of 4.54 with a WHIP of 1.36.
It isn't going to matter :-(

Clearly the #3 RPI ranked team is the class of the B1G this season and the favorite to win this tourney, and host a regional. However, it’s baseball and as we all remember last years CWS winner was unceremoniously dispatched from the SEC post season tourney with an 0-2 record prior to winning the CWS. Who would have thought that our battered Hoosiers would be here today with the “chance” albeit infinitesimal to make and even win the CWS, while the defending champs, with the finest facilities and staff money can buy, would be done & picking things up for the long off season.

Reactions: ptrich and 82IU
Probably right. The reality is Hoosiers don't have enough pitching to hold up in this format no matter how well they hit it.

It's just a shame that they played themselves into Maryland in first game.

Win any of the three against Rutgers they couldn't close out, Minny on Sunday or Iowa when you held them to 3 hits and you get a much easier first game and a chance to make it interesting. (Or if Purdue wasn't completely gutless in essentially forcing a cancellation of their third game with Maryland last weekend, but that's for a different post.)

Just hard to believe how bad the pitching has been - especially among a number of returners who were good last year. I like a lot of what Mercer brings, but it's fair to question the direction after the past two seasons.

(Or if Purdue wasn't completely gutless in essentially forcing a cancellation of their third game with Maryland last weekend, but that's for a different post.)
This really intrigues me as to the process for determining a delay/cancellation. What role the umpires play, the league, the coaches. It just seems absolutely asinine that they didn't start that game early, start it on time or make some effort to play two earlier in the weekend.

The only consolation for me is that it was Nebraska (and their fans) that got shut out of the tournament.

Probably right. The reality is Hoosiers don't have enough pitching to hold up in this format no matter how well they hit it.

It's just a shame that they played themselves into Maryland in first game.

Win any of the three against Rutgers they couldn't close out, Minny on Sunday or Iowa when you held them to 3 hits and you get a much easier first game and a chance to make it interesting. (Or if Purdue wasn't completely gutless in essentially forcing a cancellation of their third game with Maryland last weekend, but that's for a different post.)

Just hard to believe how bad the pitching has been - especially among a number of returners who were good last year. I like a lot of what Mercer brings, but it's fair to question the direction after the past two seasons.
Nebraska fans are adamant that there was something sinister going on with the cancelation of the Purdue/Maryland game. Maryland had already won the B1G championship outright whether the game was played or not, and Purdue officials to include the team coaches and players had to know that if the game wasn't played they would be in the tournament and if it was played and they lost they would be on the outside looking in. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I believe the host team officials control everything up until the game starts, and then the head ump controls the the delays, etc. Now I don't know if they had to coordinate with the B1G in Chicago to cancel the game, but I assume they probably had to. Regardless, the Huskers and IU can look to blown games during the season, and if they had won those games, it never would have come down to either missing the tournament like with the Huskers or ending up being the No. 8 seed like we did. I certainly remember where we lost twice by one run on two-run homers in the 9th (Rutgers and Minnesota.)

Nebraska fans are adamant that there was something sinister going on with the cancelation of the Purdue/Maryland game. Maryland had already won the B1G championship outright whether the game was played or not, and Purdue officials to include the team coaches and players had to know that if the game wasn't played they would be in the tournament and if it was played and they lost they would be on the outside looking in. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I believe the host team officials control everything up until the game starts, and then the head ump controls the the delays, etc. Now I don't know if they had to coordinate with the B1G in Chicago to cancel the game, but I assume they probably had to. Regardless, the Huskers and IU can look to blown games during the season, and if they had won those games, it never would have come down to either missing the tournament like with the Huskers or ending up being the No. 8 seed like we did. I certainly remember where we lost twice by one run on two-run homers in the 9th (Rutgers and Minnesota.)
You can’t blow a game you should’ve won if you’re too chickenchit to start the game in the first place

I looked up the NCAA rule (sorry didn’t save it or note the #) and the home team has control over starting the game. i recall, but not from where that Maryland had an early evening travel curfew, 5 or 5:30 IIRC. I assume that was a known part of the knowledge base for the game planning for the series. To me the die was cast for Saturday’s cancelation when a Friday doubleheader was not scheduled. The weather predictions were quite clear and I am pretty sure Purdue as has most of the B1G has scheduled and played doubleheaders to avoid cancelations. I did not look real hard or find rules that addressed who had to agree to that sort of change but I suspect it would be mutual.

In closing I feel compelled to say Purdue is known for waterlogged playing fields.

I looked up the NCAA rule (sorry didn’t save it or note the #) and the home team has control over starting the game. i recall, but not from where that Maryland had an early evening travel curfew, 5 or 5:30 IIRC. I assume that was a known part of the knowledge base for the game planning for the series. To me the die was cast for Saturday’s cancelation when a Friday doubleheader was not scheduled. The weather predictions were quite clear and I am pretty sure Purdue as has most of the B1G has scheduled and played doubleheaders to avoid cancelations. I did not look real hard or find rules that addressed who had to agree to that sort of change but I suspect it would be mutual.

In closing I feel compelled to say Purdue is known for waterlogged playing fields.
I also read - but don't know if it's accurate - that Maryland wanted to play a DH Friday and Purdue said no. Of course, I want to believe the worst about that school up north. :)

Reactions: mk30
I also read - but don't know if it's accurate - that Maryland wanted to play a DH Friday and Purdue said no. Of course, I want to believe the worst about that school up north. :)
It's all water over the dam now, but even if Maryland wanted to play that DH they were not going to press the issue since they had absolutely nothing on the line by playing that game, and I read that Purdue officials had contacted the B1G on Friday and they told them they thought there would be a window to get the game in on Saturday. One thing is for sure, Purdue was not going to go out of their way or go "above and beyond" to get that game in.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT