ADVERTISEMENT

Pick one: Pharrell Payne or Ballo

Which one would you rather have pop for the Hoosiers?
Is that even a question? Let me see a multi-year starter for a team that has consistently been in the top 10 and who is a legit rim protector, rebounder and can score, or a guy who came off the bench for MN? I'm thinking I'll go A. What possible attributes might make anyone prefer Payne? I'll bet his game against us were his season highs. He, or the guy from Drexel are clearly door prizes to Ballo.

Is that even a question? Let me see a multi-year starter for a team that has consistently been in the top 10 and who is a legit rim protector, rebounder and can score, or a guy who came off the bench for MN? I'm thinking I'll go A. What possible attributes might make anyone prefer Payne? I'll bet his game against us were his season highs. He, or the guy from Drexel are clearly door prizes to Ballo.
Yeah, I'd say we're in a pretty good spot if out back up plans to Ballo are Williams and Payne. But Ballo is ranked as the top player in the portal for a reason. He influences the game on both ends in a big (no pun intended) way.

Yeah, I'd say we're in a pretty good spot if out back up plans to Ballo are Williams and Payne. But Ballo is ranked as the top player in the portal for a reason. He influences the game on both ends in a big (no pun intended) way.
Exactly, Ballo is a huge difference maker, the other guys fill a role. Ballo would probably be All Big 10 first team and you get he and the WSU kid and that's starting to build a pretty solid roster and we still have what, 3 more spots? I'd look for frontcourt depth and a couple more shooters. The kid from Drake/Bloomington South would be excellent with that group I would think, as I think he can also handle the ball.

Exactly, Ballo is a huge difference maker, the other guys fill a role. Ballo would probably be All Big 10 first team and you get he and the WSU kid and that's starting to build a pretty solid roster and we still have what, 3 more spots? I'd look for frontcourt depth and a couple more shooters. The kid from Drake/Bloomington South would be excellent with that group I would think, as I think he can also handle the ball.
I think tea leaves are also pointing to Kannan Carlyle coming here as well. Your 1 and 2 guards would be set with he and Rice; both significant upgrades from last year. Likely becomes harder to land someone like Conwell, but if you could get Hickman that would be a fantastic back court haul all things considered. Being in contention for Ballo/Payne/Williams leaves us in a really good spot.

At the end of the day, Woodson is still the coach, but this coming version of the roster should be much better constructed as well as deeper than last year's version.

Last edited:
I think tea leaves are also pointing to Kannan Carlyle coming here as well. Your 1 and 2 guards would be set with he and Rice; both significant upgrades from last year. Likely becomes harder to land someone like Conwell, but if you could get Hickman that would be a fantastic back court haul all things considered. Being in contention for Ballo/Payne/Williams leaves us in a really good spot.

At the end of the day, Woodson is still the coach, but this coming version of the roster should be much be constructed as well as deeper than last year's version.
Question is what you do with Galloway if that happens. I’m guessing Tucker was told he will start
Lineup of:
Rice
Carlyle/Tucker
MM
MR
Ballou

Bench: Trey, Leal, Cupps, Newton, Portal Big, Hickman, plus 1 more available

At the end of the day, Woodson is still the coach, but this coming version of the roster should be much be constructed as well as deeper than last year's version.
Yep, I don't really like playing with 2 posts, but I think that would be a much more well-constructed roster, if we were to get Rice, Carlyle and Ballo. I agree, we then wouldn't land Conwell, but Hickman would be excellent as a spot up shooter with that group and that is a very good roster imo. Lots of "ifs" still, but that would be stout.

Question is what you do with Galloway if that happens. I’m guessing Tucker was told he will start
Lineup of:
Rice
Carlyle/Tucker
MM
MR
Ballou

Galloway can play 1-3, there's 25+ mpg available for him. Tucker isn't starting if Carlyle comes. I still think you're going to see MM at the 4 in certain rotations, likely when Reneau goes to the bench. Allows for a 3 guard/wing rotation with some combination of Rice/Carlyle/Galloway/Tucker and possibly somebody like Hickman.

I don't think there was anyway that Tucker was promised a starting spot and/or 30 mpg because he was a 5*. Mgbako was a consensus top 10 player and didn't average 30 mpg.

Galloway can play 1-3, there's 25+ mpg available for him. Tucker isn't starting if Carlyle comes. I still think you're going to see MM at the 4 in certain rotations, likely when Reneau goes to the bench. Allows for a 3 guard/wing rotation with some combination of Rice/Carlyle/Galloway/Tucker and possibly somebody like Hickman.

I don't think there was anyway that Tucker was promised a starting spot and/or 30 mpg because he was a 5*. Mgbako was a consensus top 10 player and didn't average 30 mpg.
That’s kind of what you want. Is versatile guard/wings. Something IU hasn’t had.

I understand what you are saying but with how quickly we were able to land Tucker, I wouldn’t think he expects to be a guy off the bench. I could be wrong though

I understand what you are saying but with how quickly we were able to land Tucker, I wouldn’t think he expects to be a guy off the bench. I could be wrong though
I don't think Tucker had a ton of options. He was dead set on going to the G-League Ignite until they abruptly disbanded their program and left without a school. Most of the other schools who were previously recruiting him (Kansas and Mich St) had moved on. He was likely flashed an NIL $ figure that he was comfortable accepting and he ended up here. He's not a one and done by any means. He needs at least 2 years in my estimation. He should get decent run this year and hopefully progresses throughout the year and becomes a major contributor next year. There were numerous 5* who came off the bench this year.

I don't think Tucker had a ton of options. He was dead set on going to the G-League Ignite until they abruptly disbanded their program and left without a school. Most of the other schools who were previously recruiting him (Kansas and Mich St) had moved on. He was likely flashed an NIL $ figure that he was comfortable accepting and he ended up here. He's not a one and done by any means. He needs at least 2 years in my estimation. He should get decent run this year and hopefully progresses throughout the year and becomes a major contributor next year. There were numerous 5* who came off the bench this year.
Tucker is not a 5 and he is better than you think.

Tucker is not a 5 and he is better than you think.
I'm talking 5 as in his recruiting stars. And I don't think he's a bad player either, but at the same time don't think he's good enough yet to command 30mpg without the staff trying to upgrade the backcourt. And the staff is certainly treating it that way.

Reactions: Willdog7

Well that's going to rustle a lot folks here.

Carlyle, Rice, one of these big guys, Hickman, and maybe one more shooter... that looks pretty good.

Good info from Tucker's dad in this interview. Doesn't sound like it was just the NIL deal, by any means. Dad liked how we handled Mgbako.

Lineup of:
Rice
Carlyle/Tucker
MM
MR
Ballou

I believe in Woodson’s first season initially Galloway was first off the bench in a 6th man role and it was very effective. He instantly brought energy and a spark to the offense. He needs to go back to that role. And frankly, if Trey can get his foul shooting up to 70% or higher, I’d want him on the floor in a tight game down the stretch.

DITTO!

I'm talking 5 as in his recruiting stars. And I don't think he's a bad player either, but at the same time don't think he's good enough yet to command 30mpg without the staff trying to upgrade the backcourt. And the staff is certainly treating it that way.
I do not think so, they have Rice, Carlyle, and Hickman coming in for visits. I personally rather have Conwell but the staff is heading in the right direction.

I believe in Woodson’s first season initially Galloway was first off the bench in a 6th man role and it was very effective. He instantly brought energy and a spark to the offense. He needs to go back to that role. And frankly, if Trey can get his foul shooting up to 70% or higher, I’d want him on the floor in a tight game down the stretch.
Yes and I believe the starting roll he earned but the PG roll he was needed to take over along with the need to carry the team leadership responsibilities, top D responsibilities, produce scoring and the near 40 minutes a game had to affect something. His shooting % was the stat taking the hit. He'll be more prepared and stronger for whatever his duties and tasks are in front of him.

Last edited:
Ballo,49% free throws. perfect fit for Indiana.

• Angry
Lineup of:
Rice
Carlyle/Tucker
MM
MR
Ballou

Woodson would have zero excuses next season for not winning 25 games.

• Sad
He isn’t a dominant scorer
Not dominant, but efficient as hell on O. He's 66% on 2 point attempts (v. 61% for Payne and 52% for Williams) and turns the ball over 1/2 as often a those guys.

Looks like Williams might be a guy who forces some shots...based on 52% shooting % and fairly high TOs.

Ballo gets 15.6 rebs per every 40M played, Williams 13.6, and Payne 10.4. Williams blocks some shots...a few more than the other two...but he plays at Drexel.

If we don't get Ballo, I could see us getting both of the other guys.

Anyone see why Ballo left Arizona.....just for a bidding war?

Reactions: nichlee and T.M.P.
Not dominant, but efficient as hell on O. He's 66% on 2 point attempts (v. 61% for Payne and 52% for Williams) and turns the ball over 1/2 as often a those guys.

Looks like Williams might be a guy who forces some shots...based on 52% shooting % and fairly high TOs.

Ballo gets 15.6 rebs per every 40M played, Williams 13.6, and Payne 10.4. Williams blocks some shots...a few more than the other two...but he plays at Drexel.

If we don't get Ballo, I could see us getting both of the other guys.

Anyone see why Ballo left Arizona.....just for a bidding war?
On his end more money….arizona wants to play faster. Mutual break up

On his end more money….arizona wants to play faster. Mutual break up

Yes...Looks like they have two 7 footers waiting in the wings...his time may have been cut some anyway.

Looks like he paid 26 & 27 M per game the last two years at AZ. I bet MW would play him more, and pay him more, than at AZ.

I would think we'd have a great shot at him. The only real downside being the record this past season....I think MW can do a pretty good job of blaming the injuries for that.

If we did get him, it would open the door for the Evansville kid or the D3 big, as we would still need some height and those guys would bring some flexibility. I'm not as convinced as others about those guys but they'd only be 10-20M players here at most their 1st year.

Ok my buddy who is country club member with an Arizona coach must be telling a different story.
I can buy the money aspect, but I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to play "faster". Kylan Boswell who was the #1 PG in the country 2 years ago just transferred. They're sick of Caleb Love hording shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT