ADVERTISEMENT

Phinesee looks good at PG

Been saying that for two years and counting. Someday it will happen, right?

Yes. However, he did suffer from one full season under Tommy and he probably picked up bad habits, and didn't work on basic things like limiting TO's, cause all he was told to do was "Go faster". New coach, and a former PG at that, shows up and we saw some real flashes last year that Green could be a player eventually. This was 1 game and I'm not going to decide if he's regressed or gotten better yet. Let's at least give him a run of games. Also, if RP beats him out for the starting PG spot then that's another positive for IU. That means we have more depth that we thought coming into the year since most people were projecting Green or Al to start at PG.

Yes. However, he did suffer from one full season under Tommy and he probably picked up bad habits, and didn't work on basic things like limiting TO's, cause all he was told to do was "Go faster". New coach, and a former PG at that, shows up and we saw some real flashes last year that Green could be a player eventually. This was 1 game and I'm not going to decide if he's regressed or gotten better yet. Let's at least give him a run of games. Also, if RP beats him out for the starting PG spot then that's another positive for IU. That means we have more depth that we thought coming into the year since most people were projecting Green or Al to start at PG.
i saw all 3 play last several seasons Phinesee and Al were clearly more controlled at PG than combo-guard Green. I predicted to start the year Green, then Al, and by the end of the year Phinesee would start at PG. With injuries to the other two potential PG, Phinesee is ahead of schedule. Phinesee is the best PG, over the long term, on the current IU roster.

Green could learn a lot from Morgan. Granted only a one-game sample size, but JM didn't try forcing much last night, and very likely may have a lower ppg average (and rebound) lthis year vs last year, due to the increased depth (plus lack of it last year). But if Morgan stays within the team concept, he'll still see good numbers, have a solid season, and this team will be so much better. Saw a lot of one-vs-five from Devonte last night, more so than the other 'regulars' combined.
Too much one-on-one from Devonte. That usually results in a low percentage forced shot or an unforced turnover.

not phinney?
Fhinney is fine. He’s way better than I thought he would be. You guys will lose your minds but you all do understand that he’s better right now than Yogi was at this point his freshman year, right? It’s really not even close too. He was rated around a 100 buy the guys that do that but he’s way better than that. He’s easily one of the fifty best freshmen out there and one of the top point guards. He may not be around for four years though which kind of sucks. It’s easy to see to anybody that understands how to win the team is better off with him on the court. Phinney is more athletic than I thought and he already doesn’t make very many mistakes. His shooting is only going to improve every year along with everything else. If he stays healthy he’ll be a solid nba PG one day. Yogi has his 2 year contract but he’s already playing very little for the Kings. His time in the league will be over soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Y’all seem to be ignoring the fact that Green gets buckets, which is still important in basketball. 2nd leading scorer last night.
Green does score, but his poor percentage shots and unforced turnovers really hurt and can lose close games. Good Green scores the ball. Bad Green shoots a no pass, off balance, 3 point brick before his teammates can even get in position to rebound, and then dribbles hyper-fast un-necessarily through his legs and then off his foot with nobody actually putting pressure on him, a showoff selfish move that got egg on his face before halftime. Something a junior high kid in AAU ball does to draw attention to himself to get noticed only to turn the ball over and get onlookers' hands over their mouths and chuckles. Green is trying too hard to impress with flash. The B1G isn't Rucker Park. Green needs to accept his role on a successful team, be effective in that role, and move on.

Last edited:
But, It was Phinesee's first regular season game. Green is a Junior. He should know better. If Green was a Freshman there would be more understanding. Green still has a lot of the former coaching staff's ingrained careless with the ball traits, and poor shot selection that need to be changed or purged for the team to be successful.

But, but, but... Who cares? It was one game. Curtis Jones looked like the second coming against Kansas as a freshman and look how that turned out. If DG mails it in against a real opponent like Marquette we'll talk. As a junior he should do better, but not going to consign him to mediocrity and brand him as hopelessly reckless for last night. And Green's "traits" are his own, doubtless reinforced/indulged by TC, but acquired long before they met.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Green does score, but his poor percentage shots and unforced turnovers really hurt and can lose close games. Good Green scores the ball. Bad Green shoots a no pass, off balance, 3 point brick before his teammates can even get in position to rebound, and then dribbles hyper-fast un-necessarily through his legs and then off his foot with nobody actually putting pressure on him, a showoff selfish move that got egg on his face before halftime. Something a junior high kid in AAU ball does to draw attention to himself to get noticed only to turn the ball over and get onlookers' hands over their mouths and chuckles. Green is trying too hard to impress with flash. The B1G isn't Rucker Park. Green needs to accept his role on a successful team, be effective in that role, and move on.
You're right to gripe about Green's turnovers, but he also had three assists as a reserve. When Green reduces his turnovers (and totally eliminates his ridiculous and absolutely stupid turnovers) he really could be something.

But, but, but... Who cares? It was one game. Curtis Jones looked like the second coming against Kansas as a freshman and look how that turned out. If DG mails it in against a real opponent like Marquette we'll talk. As a junior he should do better, but not going to consign him to mediocrity and brand him as hopelessly reckless for last night. And Green's "traits" are his own, doubtless reinforced/indulged by TC, but acquired long before they met.

Yes, but it's been the norm with him. Not time to fold, yet. But, it's time consider it may be a bad hand There's a mentality and intelligence associated with being a PG and Devonte rarely exhibits it. Phinisee does, but we've yet to see him play against a top defense.

Last night has too often been the norm with DG. Like others are saying, it seems his best role and one he is suited for is to score.

He has skills, he just doesn't have the intangible (and inherent) mental traits to play point guard at this level and all that entails. Not sure they can be taught. Point guards are the coach on the floor, or should be. And they are born, not made.

Reactions: ufo33
Yes, but it's been the norm with him. Not time to fold, yet. But, it's time consider it may be a bad hand There's a mentality and intelligence associated with being a PG and Devonte rarely exhibits it. Phinisee does, but we've yet to see him play against a top defense.

Last night has too often been the norm with DG. Like others are saying, it seems his best role and one he is suited for is to score.

He has skills, he just doesn't have the intangible (and inherent) mental traits to play point guard at this level and all that entails. Not sure they can be taught. Point guards are the coach on the floor, or should be. And they are born, not made.

Agree with all but will reserve judgment on the last line though it seems more true than not. Some things change, and Players do all the time, but the mindset/disposition that makes for a stellar or simply efficient point guard could well be too much a function of personality to truly recast. Just taking issue with summary judgments and conclusions drawn so early in the Season.

Agree with all but will reserve judgment on the last line though it seems more true than not. Some things change, and Players do all the time, but the mindset/disposition that makes for a stellar or simply efficient point guard could well be too much a function of personality to truly recast. Just taking issue with summary judgments and conclusions drawn so early in the Season.

As I recall, coming out of HS Green was a #140 or so recruit on Rivals that was described as a shoot-first combo guard......he was viewed as something of a talented sleeper recruit because his position was in doubt. Three years later....same thing.....so things could change, but don't bet the farm on it.

Green will play a lot for IU and will be a better player than he was last year. He will split time at the guard positions. Archie isn't going to give up on him. He can't. If he does, this year, than Archie is screwed, next year.

Rob played well in his first game, but he will have plenty of games where he struggles and plays like a true freshmen. If IU is going to be a good team this year they need Green to be a good player for them. It wasn't Green's best game, but he was still 2nd in scoring, assists, and steals. Some of his shots and passes are mind numbingly stupid, but they still only count as one bad shot or turnover.

Green will play a lot for IU and will be a better player than he was last year. He will split time at the guard positions. Archie isn't going to give up on him. He can't. If he does, this year, than Archie is screwed, next year.

Rob played well in his first game, but he will have plenty of games where he struggles and plays like a true freshmen. If IU is going to be a good team this year they need Green to be a good player for them. It wasn't Green's best game, but he was still 2nd in scoring, assists, and steals. Some of his shots and passes are mind numbingly stupid, but they still only count as one bad shot or turnover.
Unless Green plays smarter, he will play less. IU has more options now. Turnovers and poor shot selection loses close games.

Unless Green plays smarter, he will play less. IU has more options now. Turnovers and poor shot selection loses close games.

I disagree. They have 4 healthy guards, at the moment, and 3 of them are freshmen. Green is going to get a lot minutes like he did last year.

Turnovers were not a major issue for Green last year. He averaged less than 2, while playing 20+ minutes. I also think he is our best on the ball defender and plays hard. I do agree his shot selection is awful at times and he needs to improve at it.

I disagree. They have 4 healthy guards, at the moment, and 3 of them are freshmen. Green is going to get a lot minutes like he did last year.

Turnovers were not a major issue for Green last year. He averaged less than 2, while playing 20+ minutes. I also think he is our best on the ball defender and plays hard. I do agree his shot selection is awful at times and he needs to improve at it.
23% TO ..

They are not measured by per game stats, per game stats are useless, they are measured per possession and Devonte's is glaringly high. Almost 1 of 4 of his possessions used end in a TO. It needs to be below 15%.

23% TO ..

They are not measured by per game stats, per game stats are useless, they are measured per possession and Devonte's is glaringly high. Almost 1 of 4 of his possessions used end in a TO. It needs to be below 15%.

I assume it measures the actual amount of time the player is handling the ball per possession?

Also, what was the ratio for the rest of the players on the team (feel free to direct me to a website if it's a pain to post)?

Last edited:
I assume it measures the actual amount of time the player is handling the ball per possession?

Also, what was the ratio for the rest of the players on the team (feel free to direct me to a website if it's a pain to post)?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/

I was incorrect last year he was at 19%, I read this years on accident. He was at 23.6 for the last game. Still, 1 of 5 possessions used ends in TO, better than 1 of 4 but still not good enough. PG need to under 15%.

Devonte ls trying too hard and making mistakes. Multiple dribbles between his legs and ball off his foot while running 1st half clock down was embarrasing.
Agreed. I expected RP to impress, & he didn't disappoint! He's simply a better PG, I'm comfortable saying after just 1 game. Devonte is a such a frustrating puzzle--he's so talented, but the mentality is just not that of a PG. He plays as if he wants to be a SG. If we could put Rob's brain into Devonte's body, watch out--although I don't want to imply that RP doesn't have physical talent too, because he does, obviously. Strength is a...well, strength, of Rob's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT