ADVERTISEMENT

Phinesee looks good at PG

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Devonte ls trying too hard and making mistakes. Multiple dribbles between his legs and ball off his foot while running 1st half clock down was embarrasing.

Last edited:
Agree with this. I like Green in a Vinnie Johnson role, bringing some instant offense. I don't like him as a calming and steady point.
It's scary . . . I was thinking of Devonte in an occasional Vinnie Johnson role . . .

. . . but he isn't consistent enough to rely on him to serve that role on a regular basis. I'd rather rely on Justin Smith and Jerome Hunter - and maybe Fitzner if a deep stoke is needed - to provide some offensive pick up if we're not able to get Morgan and Romeo to crack a defense.

It's scary . . . I was thinking of Devonte in an occasional Vinnie Johnson role . . .

. . . but he isn't consistent enough to rely on him to serve that role on a regular basis. I'd rather rely on Justin Smith and Jerome Hunter - and maybe Fitzner if a deep stoke is needed - to provide some offensive pick up if we're not able to get Morgan and Romeo to crack a defense.

Yeah, well, I think we're both looking at him in that role as a best-case scenario. He's got a looooooooong way to go to be Vinnie Johnson.

If this were a pro team Miller would likely fine Green a c-note any possession in which he dribbled more than three times.

Agree with this. I like Green in a Vinnie Johnson role, bringing some instant offense. I don't like him as a calming and steady point.
The microwave: I like the comparison! DG still does some stupid crap when he tries to do too much or be too flashy. There was one play where he passed it right to the other team, and they came down and hit a 3. But, he does have "it," which works for him. If he could just cut out not trying to be Superman: I'm sure it drives Archie crazy.

Haven’t seen a word about Jerome Hunter. What’s going on with him? I must have missed it. He is “supposed” to be a huge piece this year.

Haven’t seen a word about Jerome Hunter. What’s going on with him? I must have missed it. He is “supposed” to be a huge piece this year.

There has been several words on him... he is battling nagging injures. As is Race Thompson.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike41703
Rob needs to develop his shot. He's been building a brick s#$thouse so far this year, only scoring around the basket.

He's been super in every other aspect. If he develops a good outside shot he'll be an all conference player.

That being said, Green brings an energy to the team. We we're sleepwalking to start the game until Green came in and woke us up. He can do that.

He and Rob can compliment each other...really well.

Green is also our best free throw shooter, by far so far (he was last year too).

DG can play. IU cannot win without him. He and RP are a great pair of PGs. Quit whining
Green took a couple of shots Archie might not have been happy with, but I like that he isn't afraid to shoot the ball. We need a guard to shoot the 3, I'm not ready to say if his decision making and play is any different from last year. I want to see Romeo and Rob push Green and Durham over the season to improve their games.

I still like Devonte. I like his motor and his defense...especially in space. Yes, he presses and does some dumb chit. He will make RP better every day in practice.

Reactions: RRgo
I still like Devonte. I like his motor and his defense...especially in space. Yes, he presses and does some dumb chit. He will make RP better every day in practice.

Phinisee's defense is nothing to sneeze at; especially for a freshman. I thought he did a good job of staying in front of his man, and the box score had him for 5 steals! Who knows how many deflections!

RP will be the key to this squad. Not the most talented but a classic PG who will get the ball where it needs to be
Actually I think Phin is very talented. BB IQ is part of that talent. Phin finishes at the rim very well. Phin is a good reliable FT shooter.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
No doubt Rob is the point guard. Green is combo guard off the bench. Archie was a point guard. He isn't blind to the bad decisions Green makes too many. Had chances to make extra pass last night for open shot and just shot it instead. Still takes bad shots early in clock. If we were sleep walking before he came in I'd rather sleep walk then. Assist to TO ratio doesn't lie.

Rob needs to develop his shot. He's been building a brick s#$thouse so far this year, only scoring around the basket.

He's been super in every other aspect. If he develops a good outside shot he'll be an all conference player.

That being said, Green brings an energy to the team. We we're sleepwalking to start the game until Green came in and woke us up. He can do that.

He and Rob can compliment each other...really well.

Green is also our best free throw shooter, by far so far (he was last year too).

Reactions: ufo33
Green took a couple of shots Archie might not have been happy with, but I like that he isn't afraid to shoot the ball. We need a guard to shoot the 3, I'm not ready to say if his decision making and play is any different from last year. I want to see Romeo and Rob push Green and Durham over the season to improve their games.

"Isn't afraid to shoot the ball" is quite an understatement....more like "hasn't met a shot he doesn't like".

Obviously you can't come to a conclusion after one game, but the early returns are not encouraging. Like the guys above, I'm looking at him right now as kind of a poor man's Vinnie Johnson 2 guard until he proves otherwise.

Reactions: Tegray1 and ufo33
Actually I think Phin is very talented. BB IQ is part of that talent. Phin finishes at the rim very well. Phin is a good reliable FT shooter.

And his 3 point shooting isn't that bad....something like 38% as a HS senior? Good enough to keep people honest.

"Isn't afraid to shoot the ball" is quite an understatement....more like "hasn't met a shot he doesn't like".

Obviously you can't come to a conclusion after one game, but the early returns are not encouraging. Like the guys above, I'm looking at him right now as kind of a poor man's Vinnie Johnson 2 guard until he proves otherwise.
Green made a 3 and dribbled down the court and took a 3 at the top of the key on the next possession. He missed it. There were other shots that I felt were too quick or where he ignored a better option.

Phinisee has had a good start. I don't expect he will lose the starting job to Green based on the game last night. I am hopeful watching Phinisee will drive home to Green what he needs to do with the ball. We will see.

Reactions: Tegray1 and ufo33
Green playing 3-4 minutes per half is plenty.
He will still have time to get off 6-7 shots and turn it over 3 times.

Greens going to be a combo. He's going to back up RP at PG and RL at the 2, and I think will begin as the primary backup for both. If he struggles, AD and DA will probably begin stealing his minutes.

Greens going to be a combo. He's going to back up RP at PG and RL at the 2, and I think will begin as the primary backup for both. If he struggles, AD and DA will probably begin stealing his minutes.
Durham and Hunter can't get back fast enough. Green doesn't get it.

No doubt Rob is the point guard. Green is combo guard off the bench. Archie was a point guard. He isn't blind to the bad decisions Green makes too many. Had chances to make extra pass last night for open shot and just shot it instead. Still takes bad shots early in clock. If we were sleep walking before he came in I'd rather sleep walk then. Assist to TO ratio doesn't lie.
i think green will settle in and have a fine season. patience, my friend.

Reactions: kkott
If Players were all that they are going to be after the first game there wouldn't be much reason to have a season. DG was likely over-amped from being dinged up, missing the last game and the start - good chance he settles and becomes steadier and more reliable with the ball in terms of scoring, assists and TOs. Perhaps not, but consigning him to 'second-rate' status at this point is hugely premature.

If Players were all that they are going to be after the first game there wouldn't be much reason to have a season. DG was likely over-amped from being dinged up, missing the last game and the start - good chance he settles and becomes steadier and more reliable with the ball in terms of scoring, assists and TOs. Perhaps not, but consigning him to 'second-rate' status at this point is hugely premature.
But, It was Phinesee's first regular season game. Green is a Junior. He should know better. If Green was a Freshman there would be more understanding. Green still has a lot of the former coaching staff's ingrained careless with the ball traits, and poor shot selection that need to be changed or purged for the team to be successful.

Last edited:
Such a smart player with a high bb IQ. Likely a 4 year player that you can trust to be in the right place at the right time. Exactly the type of player that Crean would've avoided recruiting, and the type of player that teams like Purdue have been beating us with.

Green could learn a lot from Morgan. Granted only a one-game sample size, but JM didn't try forcing much last night, and very likely may have a lower ppg average (and rebound) lthis year vs last year, due to the increased depth (plus lack of it last year). But if Morgan stays within the team concept, he'll still see good numbers, have a solid season, and this team will be so much better. Saw a lot of one-vs-five from Devonte last night, more so than the other 'regulars' combined.

It is only one game and we don't know where this performance falls on a season of work. I would have liked a little more change from last year.

He might always play a little more loose with the ball and tend to shoot first and deal with the fallout later. Some will praise him and compare him to the great former players when he shoots a lot and makes them. He will be criticized and people will be calling for his benching when those same shots don't go in.

I don't like shots in the half court offense that come from outside without a single pass. The team is getting organized early and often not in position to rebound or to get back on defense.

Transition 3s are fine if the player is under control

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT