ADVERTISEMENT

PFF IU Football Preview

Thought last year’s JMU could have finished 6-6 in the BiG.

Think a number of the JMU transfers have NFL futures.
Never really thought about how last year JMU team would’ve finished in the BIG last year until these guys talked about it, but I found it interesting that they thought JMU could’ve got 6 wins in the BIG last year. Hopefully the are correct!

I watched this one the other day, along with their reviews of other Big 10 opponents. I find this one more interesting because they are just going by what their data shows them and not their opinion.

I think the one guy was correct when he said you almost have to throw out what the data says for the past few years because of the amount of change. It will be interesting to see how the JMU an other guy's PFF grades transfer to the Big.

The fact that so many of them had other BIG or SEC offers is telling. In the past we won players away from MAC schools, CCC was winning them from some big time programs.

I watched this one the other day, along with their reviews of other Big 10 opponents. I find this one more interesting because they are just going by what their data shows them and not their opinion.

I think the one guy was correct when he said you almost have to throw out what the data says for the past few years because of the amount of change. It will be interesting to see how the JMU an other guy's PFF grades transfer to the Big.

The fact that so many of them had other BIG or SEC offers is telling. In the past we won players away from MAC schools, CCC was winning them from some big time programs.
I think they are right about throwing the data out from the last few years. This team is far different coaching and players, so it doesn't get reflected by the past few years.

My only worry is they use the metrics that cover a range of statics but doesn't necessarily account for the talent in which they played against. Meaning if DeAngelo Ponds had played at IU last year, he would've faced a lot stiffer competition, and his rating wouldn't be nearly as high. Things of that nature. I am not saying that will end up being the case for him or anyone but when you look at the top-rated players in the country and you see some of these guys ranked above the best in the country on these PFF ratings, I worry what might be missing from that data set. We shall soon find out!

My only worry is they use the metrics that cover a range of statics but doesn't necessarily account for the talent in which they played against. Meaning if DeAngelo Ponds had played at IU last year, he would've faced a lot stiffer competition, and his rating wouldn't be nearly as high. Things of that nature. I am not saying that will end up being the case for him or anyone but when you look at the top-rated players in the country and you see some of these guys ranked above the best in the country on these PFF ratings, I worry what might be missing from that data set. We shall soon find out!
I see your point, but need to figure in that these guys are another year older and the JMU guys know the system. That year older can make a huge difference.
GoHoosiers

Last edited:
A number of players from schools that aren't in the group of 4 conferences are talented enough to play in the Power conferences. The teams in the lower conferences just aren't as deep in talent as the Power conference teams are. It is why IU has been struggling so much but why coach Cignetti will succeed; he will have enough depth.

Ponds and all DBs are practicing every day against a pretty good WR group. All in all, our offensive skill positions appear the best we've seen in a few years.

I don't look for anyone to be shocked when they line up against UCLA, Maryland, NW and whoever comes next in the B1G.

It seems clear that CCC 2.0 thinks there isn't that big of a drop off from top players in the G5 and players on P5 teams.

I think depth of talent is just as big of an issue for us as our top end talent. We can't replace players that get injured or rotate them out without a drop off. CCC 2.0 is trying to fill the roster with proven players regardless of level to try to better fill our depth.

Starting 7-0?! Cmon man. Beating UCLA AT UCLA?!?! LOL

There’s a reason the Big Ten is sending IU to California as UCLA’s opponent for its first Big Ten game ever. It’s a nice welcome present for them.

Just silliness. Of course they want everyone to subscribe to their channel and that’s fine. But JFC. 🙄🤣

There’s a reason the Big Ten is sending IU to California as UCLA’s opponent for its first Big Ten game ever. It’s a nice welcome present for them.

Just silliness. Of course they want everyone to subscribe to their channel and that’s fine. But JFC. 🙄🤣
The talent is similar between the two teams and their coach will be coaching his second game ever.

I’ll take Cignetti.

Putting UCLA on some pedestal. lol
:D

I say no way we start 7-0 but think we likely beat UCLA. I say 7 to 4 or a bit better odds.

Tom Allen could've beaten UCLA with this team... Well, lose it in the fourth with something stupid anyway.

But UCLA seems to have good coaching now, and they'll be ready. First year though, like us, except without the same staff continuity with the coach.

The B1G put the old Indiana as their introductory B1G game, as someone noted. Agreed. But, oops, this won't be the old Indiana.

Last edited:

Yeah the BIG must sure love UCLA because they showed no love to USC…. Not following your faulty logic here

Not saying IU will start 7-0 or beat UCLA but the idea that the BIG sent us out there as a gift to them is more than a bit of a stretch

UCLA looking at potentially a 2 win season if they don’t beat IU. Don’t understand the love for them?

Wow, that's a glowing review for the Hoosiers! Those guys ❤️ the JMU transfers! They're talking 7-0 to start the year; that would be fantastic and certainly have Indiana Football rated in the top 10 nationally!!
7-0 would be a great start but I don't think it would move get IU ranked in the top ten unless they dominate every team getting to 7-0. I like your thinking about the team though.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1

I’ll take a road game to UCLA over road contests at LA Coliseum’s Trojans, Oregon’s Ducks, and Husky Stadium.
Huskies are probably the easier game of the remaining 3 and it’s played in Bloomington.

Or would you prefer a game at Penn State.

MD and Nebraska are home games, also a plus.

Long gone are the days of hoping for a 4th place Big East finish.

Putting UCLA on some pedestal. lol
:D

I say no way we start 7-0 but think we likely beat UCLA. I say 7 to 4 or a bit better odds.

Tom Allen could've beaten UCLA with this team... Well, lose it in the fourth with something stupid anyway.

But UCLA seems to have good coaching now, and they'll be ready. First year though, like us, except without the same staff continuity with the coach.

The B1G put the old Indiana as their introductory B1G game, as someone noted. Agreed. But, oops, this won't be the old Indiana.
UCLA seems to have good coaching now? Are you saying this goof is better than Chip Kelly?

UCLA seems to have good coaching now? Are you saying this goof is better than Chip Kelly?

Not in comparison to Chip Kelly.

But absolutely - in comparison to Chip Kelly with one foot out the door, with his mind on making sure the door didn't hit him in the ass on the way out.

Bieniemy is solid, they may put up points. Don't understand the pan of the coaching hire all that much. Sure, UCLA is a train wreck. Guess who was in charge of that train?

And, we should beat them. But the ball bounces funny sometimes.

I’ll take a road game to UCLA over road contests at LA Coliseum’s Trojans, Oregon’s Ducks, and Husky Stadium.
Huskies are probably the easier game of the remaining 3 and it’s played in Bloomington.

Or would you prefer a game at Penn State.

MD and Nebraska are home games, also a plus.

Long gone are the days of hoping for a 4th place Big East finish.
Bruins go to LSU’s Death Valley after meeting IU in the Rose Bowl. Hope they are looking ahead.

ESPN’s FPI is based on the prior 4 seasons … IU has to win a few games to break through the recency bias dam from those seasons. Throw out the data seems a true watchword for this season.

UCLA, MD, Nebraska, Mich. State, NW, and Purdue … could all be overrated based on the same recency bias.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/wei...ame-projections-arent-pretty-for-iu-football/

Nationally, FPI ranks Indiana No. 77, and 18 of 18 in the Big Ten.

(FPI ranking, out of 134)

Aug. 31 vs. Florida International (132) – 84% chance to win
Sept. 7 vs. Western Illinois (FCS, N/A) – No projection
Sept. 14 at UCLA (40) – 21.7%
Sept. 21 vs. Charlotte (116) – 74.6%
Sept. 28 vs. Maryland (46) – 37.2%
Oct. 5 at Northwestern (57) – 33%
Oct. 19 vs. Nebraska (41) – 37.8%
Oct. 26 vs. Washington (31) – 34%
Nov. 2 at Michigan State (68) – 41.2%
Nov. 9 vs. Michigan (12) – 16.9%
Nov. 23 at Ohio State (4) – 5.4%