ADVERTISEMENT

Petiti is just wrong about Friday night Big Ten games

If You noticed, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are not scheduled to play any Friday games. You wouldn't want to inconvenience their ticket holders and force Them to scramble their fall weekend schedules. So the little 15 have to do the heavy lifting and put themselves out to make the additional TV Revenue from Friday Night Games, but the privileged 3 share in the Revenue even though They are not contributing.
I also thought that with the new West Coast Additions, You might see more Friday night games from the West Coast. You don't want anybody to play more than 2 Home Games on Friday. But it seems historically that West Time Zone teams have played Friday night games more regularly and their fan bases are used to it.

It used to be that Friday was held for the high school teams. The pros and the NCAA would not schedule a Friday game so that people could go watch in person, or now stream, a local high school game.
But money always wins.
I could handle it better if they would just tell the truth, “we make so much money with Friday games we will play them”. And, “some schools will not have to play Friday because of their past W L records and fan economics”.

So the little 15 have to do the heavy lifting and put themselves out to make the additional TV Revenue from Friday Night Games, but the privileged 3 share in the Revenue even though They are not contributing.
I get your point, but the privileged three contribute a lot more with the overall TV contracts than the little 15 (especially us), yet the little 15 get the same annual media payouts as the privileged three (for now). Tough to complain, our media rights revenue is about to go way up and we haven’t done much to earn it (yet!).

I’d like to see CFB respect HS FB, but unfortunately CFB can’t resist some easy money as we know.

Last edited:
IU, Wisconsin and Minnesota are the other privileged schools this year who won’t play on Friday 👑

They will rotate teams in each year.
But, the days of no college football on Thursdays or Fridays is history.

In a few years, we’ll see high school kids and then middle school kids getting NIL deals. Roll up to the house in a better car than the parents. Get Junior a pimped out Big Wheel, hook him up with his own ‘roid dealer.

Last edited:
IU, Wisconsin and Minnesota are the other privileged schools this year who won’t play on Friday 👑

They will rotate teams in each year.
But, the days of no college football on Thursdays or Fridays is history.

In a few years, we’ll see high school kids and then middle school kids getting NIL deals. Roll up to the house in a better car than the parents. Get Junior a pimped out Big Wheel, hook him up with his own ‘roid dealer.
We play W IL @ home on 9/6.

To everyone that says it's all about the $$, you are all correct. No way the BT folks are passing that up. I just wish we didn't have Friday home games. Road games? Fine. I cherish the limited home games every fall, although this year we get spoiled with 8, and Friday games mean that most of the people in my group can't attend. It's total 1st world problems, but it still stinks.

To everyone that says it's all about the $$, you are all correct. No way the BT folks are passing that up. I just wish we didn't have Friday home games. Road games? Fine. I cherish the limited home games every fall, although this year we get spoiled with 8, and Friday games mean that most of the people in my group can't attend. It's total 1st world problems, but it still stinks.
It is a money issue and not really a football issue even explaining Friday night games as more exposure for the league. The decisions are made by people not involved with high school football, so they don't see the value in leaving Friday night to high schools.

I don't have any kids, so for me it's people in my group that do and have Friday commitments. Even if they didn't, it's tough to get to Bloomington in time for a 7PM kickoff from out of town on a Friday. My whine about this is probably on par with the church folks that used to whine about Sunday 1PM tipoffs. Those tipoffs came with national coverage and lots of $$ and exposure. These football games do the same, but now it affects me negatively so I'm whining.

It goes back to that old Joke/Punchline, "We all know Who and What We are, it's just a matter of agreeing on the price"

Hard to scout HS players while playing on Friday too.

Then again, the Portal trumps the HS grad, so … follow the money.
I was thinking along these lines too. Maybe We will reach the point where College Coaches will complain about having to Scout High School Football games on Wednesday Nights once High Schools determine They can have better attendance in mid week. It will be just too disruptive to the College Teams practice and preparation schedule for their Friday night and Saturday Games.

It is a money issue and not really a football issue even explaining Friday night games as more exposure for the league. The decisions are made by people not involved with high school football, so they don't see the value in leaving Friday night to high schools.
My guess is we have college football every day but Sunday real soon.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's a pure $$ move and I hate that we are playing on a Friday again this season. If there are BT coaches and programs that want to play then, they should be getting all those games. I hope IU never plays a home game again on a Friday night.
You are welcome to your opinion, and I know it's a pretty common one. But I love Friday night home games, and I'm stoked for ours. I get to watch my Hoosiers and then spend my Saturday watching a bunch more college games on TV, and then NFL games on Sunday. My kind of weekend!!!

You are welcome to your opinion, and I know it's a pretty common one. But I love Friday night home games, and I'm stoked for ours. I get to watch my Hoosiers and then spend my Saturday watching a bunch more college games on TV, and then NFL games on Sunday. My kind of weekend!!!
“Bye” weekends are refreshing, too, not having a commitment to do. It gives one a break from weekly gnashing of teeth, creating time for alternative things of equal worth, things left to one’s imagination…that is, imagining what will be, unburdened by what has been.

You must not live around any big time HS programs. At least for now, it’s the only place on earth to watch amateur football.

I get your point, but the privileged three contribute a lot more with the overall TV contracts than the little 15 (especially us), yet the little 15 get the same annual media payouts as the privileged three (for now). Tough to complain, our media rights revenue is about to go way up and we haven’t done much to earn it (yet!).

I’d like to see CFB respect HS FB, but unfortunately CFB can’t resist some easy money as we know.
Where would the Globetrotters be without the Washington Generals?

You must not live around any big time HS programs. At least for now, it’s the only place on earth to watch amateur football.
Really? Cuz you say so? You can love HS football as much as you want. Why are your panties in a bunch cuz i don't? And btw, the HS my kids went to won a state championship recently. I just don't care. I care about IU football.

If You noticed, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are not scheduled to play any Friday games. You wouldn't want to inconvenience their ticket holders and force Them to scramble their fall weekend schedules. So the little 15 have to do the heavy lifting and put themselves out to make the additional TV Revenue from Friday Night Games, but the privileged 3 share in the Revenue even though They are not contributing.
I also thought that with the new West Coast Additions, You might see more Friday night games from the West Coast. You don't want anybody to play more than 2 Home Games on Friday. But it seems historically that West Time Zone teams have played Friday night games more regularly and their fan bases are used to it.
Well, they do contribute a bit.

I won't argue the money angle, but all three of those schools are also the ones with 100K + in attendance. Michigan initially complained about trying to get 100K in and out of the area on a work day evening was a logistics nightmare (and I think one of their biggest parking areas is a HS south of the stadium). If you've been to Penn State, you know that's no picnic to get in/out of on a Saturday, much less on a week night. Columbus on a Friday rush hour, same thing. I'm a traditionalist so I don't like expanding on HS football (which WILL impact local attendance). Tradition, at this point, is pretty much out the window. Like Rcaulfie, I do enjoy going to the game and then having the rest of the weekend to catch the other games and kick back at home.

You'll know college football has really grown a set of Cajones when they start scheduling marquee matchups on Sundays. :p

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT