ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St having no problems at Mackey tonight

If you wanted to break each remaining one of your goals as odds to happen I would say:
beat Wisconsin +110
win 2games in the B1G tourney +250
make Ncaa win a game +350

Better hope luck is on our side, we wont be favored to do any of them.

I didn't say I think we'll do them now. But heading in to the BT season, I thought those were all reasonable and attainable.

I didn't say I think we'll do them now. But heading in to the BT season, I thought those were all reasonable and attainable.

Oh I agree. Any upper level coach would do that. I mean Chris beard at Little Rock in one year for god sakes.

Yeah, a lot of people tell themselves that when we're not doing it. Seriously, can you even get yourself to believe that? Winning a BTT has always been a big deal, including when CTC did it. I understand wanting to win NC, but if we're beating PU and winning BTT regularly, well, when we've done those, we're generally in a position to challenge for a NC. Let's get to where we're doing those regularly and then we can worry about NCs.
I’m not saying beating Purdue and winning the conference is bad. I’m saying that fans want another dynasty. We are one of the few programs with the infrastructure to do it, and fans know that.

I’m not saying beating Purdue and winning the conference is bad. I’m saying that fans want another dynasty. We are one of the few programs with the infrastructure to do it, and fans know that.

I think you're just trying to play down the PU matchup because we've sucked so loudly in it for the last several years. I'd agree, it's not as big a deal to IU fans as PU fans, but everyone loves beating their rival and it would be a big deal if both teams would climb back into national relevancy. Winning a B10 title is a big deal to any IU fan, so you either don't know many or again, are playing it down because we're sucking so badly at it of late.

Most fans here want to just make ncaa that’s how bad it is

Reactions: Radio Zero
It’s nice to beat Purdue to keep the chatter down, but the goal at Indiana is to win national titles.

Win a national title?
What college doesn’t have that goal?

We aren’t unique in that.
“At Indiana, we play for thy national title.”

How about they win a game first? Maybe against somebody in the Big Ten Tournament? Maybe finish above 6th place in our own conference?

This “we play for national titles” arrogance is a complete farce for this program anymore. IU has about as much chance winning a national championship in basketball as most here winning the Powerball.

It’s nice to beat Purdue to keep the chatter down, but the goal at Indiana is to win national titles.

This is a nice statement, but in order to consistently be in position to have a shot at winning National Championships you need to be over .500 against a rival such as Purdue. You can make up some reason why each game isn't important if you like, but at the end of the day, beating Purdue helps put you in the tournament where you at least have a shot at winning a NC.

No doubt there is a little extra juice when we play IU, half my friends went to school at IU, but calling it the Super Bowl is ridiculous. Rivalries aren't really rivalries unless in recent history it's been fairly even.

You've got the right coach in football, and even a down year or two in the next 4 doesn't stop that. You can feel it. You've got the wrong coach in basketball, and even an up year next year doesn't stop that. You can feel that too. I know most of you can on both points.

I think you're just trying to play down the PU matchup because we've sucked so loudly in it for the last several years. I'd agree, it's not as big a deal to IU fans as PU fans, but everyone loves beating their rival and it would be a big deal if both teams would climb back into national relevancy. Winning a B10 title is a big deal to any IU fan, so you either don't know many or again, are playing it down because we're sucking so badly at it of late.

As painful as it is to admit that PU is a big rivalry...as long as IU isn't playing Ky...they are.

Our “infrastructure” isn’t anything better than the majority of Big Ten schools. The coaching isn’t on par with others. Our facilities are not better than many of the top schools in the conference (Nebraska’s are amazing btw). Our fans probably are too tolerant of poor play. We have no more built-in advantage than other programs. We are literally just another program and our recruiting bears this out.

Win a national title?
What college doesn’t have that goal?

We aren’t unique in that.
“At Indiana, we play for thy national title.”

How about they win a game first? Maybe against somebody in the Big Ten Tournament? Maybe finish above 6th place in our own conference?

This “we play for national titles” arrogance is a complete farce for this program anymore. IU has about as much chance winning a national championship in basketball as most here winning the Powerball.
Winning a National Title is not a realistic goal for Purdue.

Our “infrastructure” isn’t anything better than the majority of Big Ten schools. The coaching isn’t on par with others. Our facilities are not better than many of the top schools in the conference (Nebraska’s are amazing btw). Our fans probably are too tolerant of poor play. We have no more built-in advantage than other programs. We are literally just another program and our recruiting bears this out.

And the person who oversaw this decline is cutting and running, leaving someone else to deal with the dumpster fire.

And the person who oversaw this decline is cutting and running, leaving someone else to deal with the dumpster fire.
Yeah, God forbid a guy who's 60 years old and financially set for life decides to walk away from an eighty plus-hour-per-week job. How dare he not recognize that he owes it to a douchebag like you to satisfy your infantile demand to fire a coach you don't like.

Yeah, God forbid a guy who's 60 years old and financially set for life decides to walk away from an eighty plus-hour-per-week job. How dare he not recognize that he owes it to a douchebag like you to satisfy your infantile demand to fire a coach you don't like.

He’s leaving as things are crashing. He saw it coming and didn’t want to have to deal with it.

He’s leaving as things are crashing. He saw it coming and didn’t want to have to deal with it.
Wild and baseless accusation from someone - you - who has zero information on the circumstances. Your brain operates on the same overloaded emotional circuitry as a middle school girl.

Wild and baseless accusation from someone - you - who has zero information on the circumstances. Your brain operates on the same overloaded emotional circuitry as a middle school girl.

Did you want to hold him a banquet dinner on his way out? Maybe a silent auction on his behalf? 80 hours a week over the last decade, should be celebrated!

Did you want to hold him a banquet dinner on his way out? Maybe a silent auction on his behalf? 80 hours a week over the last decade, should be celebrated!
In every area not named men's basketball Fred Glass has done an outstanding job as AD. IU athletics overall is in a much better place than it was when FG got here.

The Crean extension turned out to be a bad move, but it wasn't an obviously bad move at the time it happened. For reasonable thinking fans, the jury is still out on the Archie Miller hire. Even if it doesn't pan out, it wasn't a bad hire at the time it was done. He was a guy that a lot of people wanted to hire given his success at Dayton and the respect he had among fellow coaches. He was at the top of a lot of people's list.

My irritation with gradman's post is his ignorant assumption that he knows a goddamn thing about why Fred Glass might be retiring or that Fred Glass owes it to him or anybody else to fire Archie Miller on his way out. That kind of stupid speculation about somebody's motives is reflective of someone with the irrational thought processes of a butt-hurt teenager.

He chirped on that same theme for almost three years wanting Tom Allen, Fred Glass, and McRobbie all shitcanned for what his feelings were telling him about the football program. Very little of the content he posts is based on fact or evidence. Ninety-nine percent of it is juvenile emotional outrage.

In every area not named men's basketball Fred Glass has done an outstanding job as AD. IU athletics overall is in a much better place than it was when FG got here.

The Crean extension turned out to be a bad move, but it wasn't an obviously bad move at the time it happened. For reasonable thinking fans, the jury is still out on the Archie Miller hire. Even if it doesn't pan out, it wasn't a bad hire at the time it was done. He was a guy that a lot of people wanted to hire given his success at Dayton and the respect he had among fellow coaches. He was at the top of a lot of people's list.

My irritation with gradman's post is his ignorant assumption that he knows a goddamn thing about why Fred Glass might be retiring or that Fred Glass owes it to him or anybody else to fire Archie Miller on his way out. That kind of stupid speculation about somebody's motives is reflective of someone with the irrational thought processes of a butt-hurt teenager.

He chirped on that same theme for almost three years wanting Tom Allen, Fred Glass, and McRobbie all shitcanned for what his feelings were telling him about the football program. Very little of the content he posts is based on fact or evidence. Ninety-nine percent of it is juvenile emotional outrage.

Done an outstanding job? Based on what? The only "outstanding" program we have is men's soccer and that has absolutely zero to do with Glass. Overall our athletic programs are P5 average at best during his tenure. If Miller misses the tournament this year it will be the longest stretch we've missed in 50 years and that dates back to a far different tournament structure than today. The face of the athletics department (basketball) has been awful. Has he done a good job of spending the $50 plus mil from the BTN. Sure. I trust anyone can do that.

Last edited:

As to your first paragraph......

Shouldn't have hired Wilson in football......there were a lot of red flags there that were ignored. Big mistake. Put himself in a position that he had no choice but to go with the inexperienced Allen as Wilson's replacement. So he pissed away about 5 years there....

Disagree about the Crean extension......totally unnecessary at the time and it felt like it. Had he waited until after the season he would not have done it. Turned out to be a big problem. As far as Archie goes.....Glass had the chance to sit across the table from the guy for hours, and ask any question under the sun. None of us or the commentators had that chance. from CAM's very first actions.......his introductory press conference and jumping all in to re-recruit Smith, Durham and Moore when he had no obligation to do so, he's seemed hesitant and unsure/unwise. NONE of that would have come across in his interview?

How about the SBofRs? In his arrogance, Fred announced that he expected other D1 schools to follow his lead with similar plans. 0 have. So NO other D1 AD has felt it wise to adopt Fred's plan. Hmmm. Why couldn't Fred just have announced the 'plan' as a general policy that the AD would adopt? Why did he have to announce it like he was recreating the fricking Constitution? Have you actually read the 'for life' plan? It says that if a SA leaves school after 2 years, without transferring, while in good standing, for any reason, he/she is entitled to 2 additional years on Dept's dole when he/she decides to come back. Why? If someone is no longer interested in playing the sport for which they were recruited, why should they get a free education thereafter?

He's also kept certain coaches, like the former volleyball, wrestling, & softball coaches, on 4-5 years after they had shown they weren't up to the job.

IU has won 24 NCs in various sports, only one of which (Soccer, 2012) has come in Fred's 12 years on the job.

So.....tell me again why Fred is so great?

Reactions: IUgradman
As to your first paragraph......

Shouldn't have hired Wilson in football......there were a lot of red flags there that were ignored. Big mistake. Put himself in a position that he had no choice but to go with the inexperienced Allen as Wilson's replacement. So he pissed away about 5 years there....

Disagree about the Crean extension......totally unnecessary at the time and it felt like it. Had he waited until after the season he would not have done it. Turned out to be a big problem. As far as Archie goes.....Glass had the chance to sit across the table from the guy for hours, and ask any question under the sun. None of us or the commentators had that chance. from CAM's very first actions.......his introductory press conference and jumping all in to re-recruit Smith, Durham and Moore when he had no obligation to do so, he's seemed hesitant and unsure/unwise. NONE of that would have come across in his interview?

How about the SBofRs? In his arrogance, Fred announced that he expected other D1 schools to follow his lead with similar plans. 0 have. So NO other D1 AD has felt it wise to adopt Fred's plan. Hmmm. Why couldn't Fred just have announced the 'plan' as a general policy that the AD would adopt? Why did he have to announce it like he was recreating the fricking Constitution? Have you actually read the 'for life' plan? It says that if a SA leaves school after 2 years, without transferring, while in good standing, for any reason, he/she is entitled to 2 additional years on Dept's dole when he/she decides to come back. Why? If someone is no longer interested in playing the sport for which they were recruited, why should they get a free education thereafter?

He's also kept certain coaches, like the former volleyball, wrestling, & softball coaches, on 4-5 years after they had shown they weren't up to the job.

IU has won 24 NCs in various sports, only one of which (Soccer, 2012) has come in Fred's 12 years on the job.

So.....tell me again why Fred is so great?
We have differences of opinion about a lot of these issues - which is fine. For starters, Wilson was soundly endorsed by the people he worked with at both Northwestern and Oklahoma. And he undoubtedly elevated our football program. Had he not been extended after getting us to two consecutive bowl games, there is a good possibility he would have left and the same folks now blaming FG for the extension would have railed on him for letting the guy get away. Some did anyway, and no amount of explaining Glass might have done about KW's issues would have satisfied them.

Archie's hire was a strong hire and widely praised in the coaching community. Keeping Crean's recruits and whoever wanted to stick around was honorable and no one had any reason to believe these guys wouldn't become good players. Again, had he shown them the door at the date he was hired we would have been looking at a season like Crean's first year and AM would have been crucified for letting these guys get away. Your criticism of his demeanor, and that he seemed "hesitant or unsure" is pretty subjective to say the least. It also has the advantage of hindsight. I still am in the camp that says firing him would be a mistake. I respect that a lot of people disagree.

As for the coaches in the other sports you mentioned, let's be honest. We had zero chance of attracting top-level candidates to those jobs until the new facilities were in place. Fred Glass is going to be judged and rightly so by how those hires turn out, not by the people he ultimately fired because he didn't pull the trigger soon enough for some folks.

I don't get worked up because people have a different opinion of the AD or coach than I. I get frustrated with irrational, juvenile speculation positing itself as informed opinion or fact. Angst and personal vitriol shouldn't be accepted as reasonable argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT