ADVERTISEMENT

Penix named starter for Wash.

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
I read that Penix has been named the starting QB for Washington. We'll know that IU Football is truly cursed if he stays healthy for more than 8 games!

Seriously though, I hope he does well. He is very talented and seemed like a good kid.

Good guy , with a pro arm..., who's obviously fragile as glass... Here's hoping he makes it thru this season unscathed and gets his shot at the pros...
Obviously, he was a tremendous talent. Unfortunately , he did not stay healthy enough to be THE QB IU needed. Too many arguments to fathom why.
His Pylon REACH and 4th quarter against Penn state will remain a top 10 IU memory for me.
My # 1, Terry Cole up the middle for 2 long TDs against puke to qualify IU for the Rose Bowl.
What is your #1 favorite IU football memory?

Obviously, he was a tremendous talent. Unfortunately , he did not stay healthy enough to be THE QB IU needed. Too many arguments to fathom why.
His Pylon REACH and 4th quarter against Penn state will remain a top 10 IU memory for me.
My # 1, Terry Cole up the middle for 2 long TDs against puke to qualify IU for the Rose Bowl.

I wasn't around for the Terry Cole play so excuse my recent bias. I surmise that play checks some obvious boxes to justify the top billing.

Taking that play out of the equation for me personally, I would have to go with the Austin Starr FG, just because it was the last game of the year, vs. Purdue and clinched a bowl posthumously for Coach Help.

Second likely would be the Penix play vs Penn State.

the darkest day

Penix's heroics versus Penn State were epic, and that win was huge, but it would have been much more memorable with a big, cheering crowd.

Here's my favorite memory, courtesy of Austin Starr.

I read that Penix has been named the starting QB for Washington. We'll know that IU Football is truly cursed if he stays healthy for more than 8 games!

Seriously though, I hope he does well. He is very talented and seemed like a good kid.
Not surprising, with Kalen DeBoer taking over as UW's head coach.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ik we're supposed to root for the B1G when they play OOC teams, but I really hope Penix and Deboer kick the crap out of MSU. I still think that we would've beaten Sparty last year with a healthy Penix, Tuttle's performance in that game sealed my opinion of him as a career backup QB at the P5 level. MSU was the worst pass defense in the B1G, the game was at home with perfect weather conditions and he still only managed to score 14 points, 7 if you consider he threw a terrible pick 6 that gave MSU a free TD. The Cincy game and the MSU game still leave a bad taste in my mouth because when this team was relatively healthy(and at home) last year they outplayed two top 25 teams and found ways to lose, so no one remembers that before half the team went down with injuries, they were actually a respectable team, at least on defense.

Last years MSU game aside, I still think MSU got way too much love last year, they were in five close games and won all five. I give Mel Tucker credit for winning those games, but in an average year at least two of those games go the other way. I really want them to get a dose of reality, especially after that insane contract extension and I'd love to see Deboer succeed at his new job, in my eyes it'd be a win-win to see a victory for UW.

i'll have to add PU's fumble at IU's 3 in the 4th quarter, same game.

I just watched the Penn State game a few days ago. The Austin Starr field goal was very special but the Penix Stretch may be even more nostalgic. That moment made the rest of the year possible. Man that guy can rip the ball, I wish him nothing but the best.

I was too young for the Rose bowl season so I have to go with the Hep13 game with 50K IU fans sitting under a haze of grill and fireworks smoke, the Penix reach and the funniest was 20 of my frat brothers and heated babes and me laughing uncontrollably after Van Waiters ripped the ball out of some Purdue QB and scored to add insult to a game that was already won.

The Penix reach was different because it meant we finally beat one of the big boys and got the call we needed to make it happen. It catapulted us on to a memorable season which we couldn't back up last year.

maybe if IU Offensive line was a little better.
True….but what does the offensive line have to do with Penix running out of bounds downfield and tearing his ACL while untouched?
How about a goal line push with a bunch of bodies piled up and he tears the muscle in his chest?
Penix is no threat to run, at all, and so the Washington line will have to provide loads of protection because he’s not moving out of the pocket.
Our OL was garbage last year but Penix’s injuries are not linked to the OL.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I was too young for the Rose bowl season so I have to go with the Hep13 game with 50K IU fans sitting under a haze of grill and fireworks smoke, the Penix reach and the funniest was 20 of my frat brothers and heated babes and me laughing uncontrollably after Van Waiters ripped the ball out of some Purdue QB and scored to add insult to a game that was already won.

The QB was Shawn McCarthy, IIRC. The best part of that was the entire PU team seemed clueless Waiters stripped him and was running, completely unchallenged, to the end zone. Beautiful!

Can't help but wonder what it would look like if DeBoer stayed here and Penix stayed healthy. Water under the bridge I guess...
I just looked and DeBoer isn't calling the plays although you know his hand and presence has to be there. I hope Washington wins the Pac-12.

Can't help but wonder what it would look like if DeBoer stayed here and Penix stayed healthy. Water under the bridge I guess...
I just looked and DeBoer isn't calling the plays although you know his hand and presence has to be there. I hope Washington wins the Pac-12.
Yes, what could have been at IU Deboer as our OC since 2019 and Wommack as DC since 2020. One day, IU may be able to hold on to excellent coaches to gain more continuity - Coach Shelby is the only long term coach left.

Yes, what could have been at IU Deboer as our OC since 2019 and Wommack as DC since 2020. One day, IU may be able to hold on to excellent coaches to gain more continuity - Coach Shelby is the only long term coach left.
That's one of the things about Florida State under Bobby Bowden that gets overlooked. Mickey Andrews was there for 35 years, Chuck Amato was there for 17. Mark Richt left for a year but then game back and was there at least 10 years in all. It's a different era now, one good year and you're probably going to get poached. It would be nice to have a good coordinator stay for more than a year or two.

DeBoer was never going to stay OC at IU for a long time. He is a West Coast guy and clearly has the ability and ambition to be much more than a coordinator.

Penix's line last night in UW's first game against Kent State was 26-39 (67%), 345 yards, 4 TDs. He had a line that could block and a coach in Deboer that could fix his fundamentals (footwork was much improved). So, yes under the right conditions Penix is great - if he stays healthy. Sheridan/Hiller and the OL clearly did him no favors while at IU. The fact that Hiller is still OL coach (his incompetency proven again Friday night) is now malpractice on Allen's part and falls into the same category of "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results . . . " thinking.

Penix's line last night in UW's first game against Kent State was 26-39 (67%), 345 yards, 4 TDs. He had a line that could block and a coach in Deboer that could fix his fundamentals (footwork was much improved). So, yes under the right conditions Penix is great - if he stays healthy. Sheridan/Hiller and the OL clearly did him no favors while at IU. The fact that Hiller is still OL coach (his incompetency proven again Friday night) is now malpractice on Allen's part and falls into the same category of "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results . . . " thinking.
I’m firmly in the Penix camp. Hope he tears it up out there and Ewe Dub wins the PAC. I also kinda hope he makes a subtle (not so subtle) comment about how it’s awesome to play behind a line that actually gets coached. ✌️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT