ADVERTISEMENT

Overwhelm them with our depth says

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
DC Chad Wilt … of his Senior laden two deep. It’s easier for fresh bodies to play with an edge and swagger. Doesn’t about 40 defensive team lettermen this season sound like a plan for success?

“Then you look at the back end, we're talented there at the back end with Jaylin Williams, and Tiawan [Mullen] and Monster [Devon Matthews] and those guys. Seeing Bryant Fitzgerald continuing to grow, right, Bryson Bonds coming on, Josh Sanguinetti we're getting a position now where we can just throw people at them, throw people at them and overwhelm people with our depth.

I've pointed out last season to some of the guys when talking about the depth to show them proof of that, a young man I had last year at Minnesota, Boye Mafe, who was drafted 40th overall and the last three games of the year we had at Minnesota, he and his backup split reps each game being one off in the reps. If one of them played 45 the other one played 44 reps … Boye was drafted 40th overall so that's part of the reason Boye could perform at such a high level is he didn't have to keep the governor on and he could just go play, go play, go play. Throw him in there four-to-six plays, then the next guy is in four-to-six plays, go play with your hair on fire, run around like a madman, and hey tag team that thing out WWE style and the next guy goes.”

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/8/16/football-quoted-fall-camp-edition-august-16-update.aspx

Lots of other good quotes showing where incumbents apparently doubled down to return to good form.

DC Chad Wilt … of his Senior laden two deep. It’s easier for fresh bodies to play with an edge and swagger. Doesn’t about 40 defensive team lettermen this season sound like a plan for success?

“Then you look at the back end, we're talented there at the back end with Jaylin Williams, and Tiawan [Mullen] and Monster [Devon Matthews] and those guys. Seeing Bryant Fitzgerald continuing to grow, right, Bryson Bonds coming on, Josh Sanguinetti we're getting a position now where we can just throw people at them, throw people at them and overwhelm people with our depth.

I've pointed out last season to some of the guys when talking about the depth to show them proof of that, a young man I had last year at Minnesota, Boye Mafe, who was drafted 40th overall and the last three games of the year we had at Minnesota, he and his backup split reps each game being one off in the reps. If one of them played 45 the other one played 44 reps … Boye was drafted 40th overall so that's part of the reason Boye could perform at such a high level is he didn't have to keep the governor on and he could just go play, go play, go play. Throw him in there four-to-six plays, then the next guy is in four-to-six plays, go play with your hair on fire, run around like a madman, and hey tag team that thing out WWE style and the next guy goes.”

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/8/16/football-quoted-fall-camp-edition-august-16-update.aspx

Lots of other good quotes showing where incumbents apparently doubled down to return to good form.
I do love the conference. Excellence in recruiting has improved depth in several areas.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Listening to the new coaches it is easy to think the Hoosiers are going to surprise teams and have a very good if not a great year. It is a shame they weren't here last season to have continuity if the team really turns around this year. It seems coach Allen learned his from last season and brought in experienced coaches. I am glad he didn't stay within his circle for coaches and stepped out of the college ranks for part of the hires along with the college hires. I really hope IU steps up to keep this staff together.

Last edited:

Not sure how many difference makers we have on the DL and at LB, but that secondary should be damn good.......talented and experienced, with TM having a big chip on his shoulder.

Not sure how many difference makers we have on the DL and at LB, but that secondary should be damn good.......talented and experienced, with TM having a big chip on his shoulder.
Without looking too closely at our schedule...the front 7 will determine how good our back 4 can be. Its a very solid group, sounds like its deeper than it has been too! But if we can't slow down the run, and if opposing QB's are given time to throw...its not like we have LSU/OSU type talent back there, they'll also end up being exposed.

The flip side of that...which we've seen in some recent years...if our front 7 can be merely solid...a back 4 like ours can take over games. We need to be able to get some pressure up front, and need to be solid defending the run. Then our secondary will be able to really shine!

I like how coach Wilt convinces players to go all out every play. If they know they only need to be out there for 6 plays at the most then rest with a back up on the field; it will increase the intensity on the field as players sell out not saving themselves.

I like how coach Wilt convinces players to go all out every play. If they know they only need to be out there for 6 plays at the most then rest with a back up on the field; it will increase the intensity on the field as players sell out not saving themselves.
With my limited knowledge of football...I would think the DL would where this is of greatest benefit. Hopefully he's seeing similar things, quality of depth wise, with our DL??!!!

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
EarWith my limited knowledge of football...I would think the DL would where this is of greatest benefit. Hopefully he's seeing similar things, quality of depth wise, with our DL??!!!
He was the DL coach at MN last year, so you can be certain he's considering the effect on the DL... He used a MN Defensive Lineman as an example of someone who was helped, rather then hindered by the concept... (as in 40th overall pick in the draft not hindered)...

He was the DL coach at MN last year, so you can be certain he's considering the effect on the DL... He used a MN Defensive Lineman as an example of someone who was helped, rather then hindered by the concept... (as in 40th overall pick in the draft not hindered)...
For sure...but he cited our secondary. Again, I'm not nearly as schooled on football strategy, play, etc... as many on this board... but its been my perception that secondary play is much more about speed, technique, instincts, reactions...less on being single minded explosive aggressiveness, like the DL normally is. Obviously you need to be in good cardio shape to be a DB, especially cover corners. But its usually not nearly as necessary to rotate in new DBs half the time.

Is he advocating playing that way with our secondary, because it worked for him at Minny on the DL? Don't all high level college programs sub that way on the DL?

Sorry...it all sounds great...I'm just a very literal guy...and I'm not sure I want Jaylin Williams sitting out half the plays?!

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
For sure...but he cited our secondary. Again, I'm not nearly as schooled on football strategy, play, etc... as many on this board... but its been my perception that secondary play is much more about speed, technique, instincts, reactions...less on being single minded explosive aggressiveness, like the DL normally is. Obviously you need to be in good cardio shape to be a DB, especially cover corners. But its usually not nearly as necessary to rotate in new DBs half the time.

Is he advocating playing that way with our secondary, because it worked for him at Minny on the DL? Don't all high level college programs sub that way on the DL?

Sorry...it all sounds great...I'm just a very literal guy...and I'm not sure I want Jaylin Williams sitting out half the plays?!
It's just common sense... You give a guy a couple of plays off to rest and he'll be able to go harder while he's out there...

The other payoff is that you have immediate depth with experience to both step up in case of injury to the starter and to be there to compete for the position when the starter graduates...

Another Big Deal about this approach is that it keeps nearly the entire Team engaged and focused because they Know they're going to play, versus hoping the might see some minutes if there's a blowout...

Last edited:
It's just common sense... You give a guy a couple of plays off to rest and he'll be able to go harder while he's out there...

The other payoff is that you have immediate depth with experience to both step up in case of injury to the starter and to be there to compete for the position when the starter graduates...

Another Big Deal about this approach is that it keeps nearly the entire Team engaged and focused because they Know they're going to play, versus hoping the might see some minutes if there's a blowout...
Would also think cuts down on transfer portal out as more guys playing and third stringers motivated knowing via hard work and graduation they can play ahead too.

I am sure rotations will be up to position coaches as I don't want Mullen and Williams missing major minutes but enough to keep them fresh.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT