ADVERTISEMENT

OT Strategy question

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
You have the ball and it’s first and ten halfway through the first quarter.
Play clock is about to run out,do you burn an early timeout or let it run out to make it first and 15?
That’s always been a pet peeve with me,I’d hold on to the time out.
Just curious what others think,I’m probably in the minority here.

You have the ball and it’s first and ten halfway through the first quarter.
Play clock is about to run out,do you burn an early timeout or let it run out to make it first and 15?
That’s always been a pet peeve with me,I’d hold on to the time out.
Just curious what others think,I’m probably in the minority here.
First half timeouts never bother me much. But I hate using a timeout in the 3rd quarter.

For me it was based on the way the game is going and what was the situation for the delay. It isn't just a case do you use a timeout or not but many factors are involved.
The one time I can see is if You have a play call in place that will run right into a Defensive stunt or Blitz, and your QB doesn't have sufficient time on the play clock to audible out of it. Even that is debatable. I can live with a 2 or 3 yard loss on the play.
How many times have We seen a team with a Drive at the end of the half reach midfield with 25 Seconds left and one timeout remaining? They want to save the timeout to get the field goal team on if necessary. To move the ball they are more restricted to throwing to the outside or being sure to throw far enough to get a first down and get the stoppage to move the chains. If they have the 2nd timeout available, they can throw over the middle and use one of the timeouts to stop the clock after the play and even run a Draw Play or Roll out option before settling for a field goal.

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
It’s why HCs get paid the big bucks. Possession in either red zone would seem to to be a factor, were it I. First and fifteen from the five, is safety territory. I’d much prefer first and ten from the ten.

I hate it when when they call them on 3rd and 14 or when half the distance would only be a two yard penalty. The WORST is calling a timeout to think of a play. The WORSTEST is calling one after the opening kickoff results in a touchback.

I agree on 1st half... Use em or lose em.

3Q timeouts only OK if you're threatening to score and need a good play call.
If you need a TO to make "a good play call" then it seems like the coaching staff is not very well-prepared. Shouldn't teams have several "good" plays ready for various situations?

Reactions: Chriselli
I hate it when when they call them on 3rd and 14 or when half the distance would only be a two yard penalty. The WORST is calling a timeout to think of a play. The WORSTEST is calling one after the opening kickoff results in a touchback.

Yea well... I don't know any coach that can be incompetent enough to pull off your WORSTEST example....

Oh wait... ugh, I take that back.

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
If you need a TO to make "a good play call" then it seems like the coaching staff is not very well-prepared. Shouldn't teams have several "good" plays ready for various situations?
Sometimes you make a good call, but you don't like what the defense is showing. Continuing would make it a bad play. Instead you take the time out and make another good call.

Sometimes you make a good call, but you don't like what the defense is showing. Continuing would make it a bad play. Instead you take the time out and make another good call.
Agree, that makes sense. I was referring to when the TO is taken without even lining up, which seems to be the case a lot of times.

Reactions: Chriselli and IUCX9
Agree, that makes sense. I was referring to when the TO is taken without even lining up, which seems to be the case a lot of times.
Oh you mean when CTA burned a timeout on the very first play of the Nebraska game???

LOL. That was HS FB coach stuff right there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT