ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Al Kaline...

jhoban19

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 28, 2003
I know there are some Detroit Tiger fans out there. Died today at the age of 85. One of only a handful of major leaguers to play his entire career entirely in the big leagues (never in the minors) and for only 1 team. He debuted with the Tigers shortly after his high school graduation.

At the time of his HOF induction I think he was only the 9th player to be voted in his first time on the ballot. Finished his career with 3,007 hits, 399 homers, a .297 career average, and is the youngest AL player to win a batting title (he was 20 when he won the 1955 batting title). Won 10 gold gloves to boot.

Spent his entire post-playing career with the Tigers as a broadcaster and special assistant. He and George Kell were great in the booth. Al was a Tiger all the way and is right there with Ty Cobb as the greatest ever to wear the old English D. He doesn’t get the recognition he deserves as an all-time great because he played at the same time as Clemente, Mantle, Aaron, and some other outstanding outfielders, but For my money he’s right there with those guys. (As a native Detroiter and life long Tigers fan, of course I’m a little biased.)

RIP Mr Kaline.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News