ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Richt to Miami . . .

here's a link to the Miami Herald story: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article47627030.html.

I don't have a premium membership, but it appears from the subject lines on the UGA rivals site that some UGA fans are not happy with the Kirby Smart hire, calling it a "dumpster fire".
If I'm a GA fan, I wouldn't be happy either. You dump a guy that has won, a lot, and bring in a guy that's a complete unknown? Yeah, that's not smart strategy at all. Smart may work out and be amazing, but there's a much greater chance that he won't.

If I'm a GA fan, I wouldn't be happy either. You dump a guy that has won, a lot, and bring in a guy that's a complete unknown? Yeah, that's not smart strategy at all. Smart may work out and be amazing, but there's a much greater chance that he won't.
I don't think anyone considers Smart a "complete unknown", but he's never run his own program (or even an offense), so there will be some growing pains. UGA wants to beat Saban so bad that they'll do about anything they think can get them over the hump. Lots of risk no matter who they hired. That Smart has both pedigree and 'Bama ties is viewed as a huge plus.

I don't think anyone considers Smart a "complete unknown", but he's never run his own program (or even an offense), so there will be some growing pains. UGA wants to beat Saban so bad that they'll do about anything they think can get them over the hump. Lots of risk no matter who they hired. That Smart has both pedigree and 'Bama ties is viewed as a huge plus.

Who has a good track record against Saban at Bama? Have any of his ex-coaches beaten him consistently? I cant think of one? If that is the reason for hiring Smart, to beat Saban, it seems like a crap shoot. Usually takes a while for the student to beat the Master.

Who has a good track record against Saban at Bama? Have any of his ex-coaches beaten him consistently? I cant think of one? If that is the reason for hiring Smart, to beat Saban, it seems like a crap shoot. Usually takes a while for the student to beat the Master.
Of course it's a crap shoot. That's the point of showing the risky and desperate nature of firing a guy like Richt. No matter who they hire, there's not only a good chance you won't beat your nemesis, but you might slide back and lose to teams you're currently beating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT