ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Indiana State...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
With their head coach Mitch Hannahs taking the South Florida job, it will be interesting to see who takes over that job and what staff members will follow Hannahs to Tampa, if any. How all of this affects their roster remains to be seen, and they say they have initiated a nationwide search for a new coach. South Florida came in 9th in the 10-team AAC this past season and they had their third straight losing season. Luke Hayden will be drafted so he will probably move on after having a great season with the Sycamores this past season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
With their head coach Mitch Hannahs taking the South Florida job, it will be interesting to see who takes over that job and what staff members will follow Hannahs to Tampa, if any. How all of this affects their roster remains to be seen, and they say they have initiated a nationwide search for a new coach. South Florida came in 9th in the 10-team AAC this past season and they had their third straight losing season. Luke Hayden will be drafted so he will probably move on after having a great season with the Sycamores this past season.
I wonder if there's any chance Mercer's name is involved with the South Carolina search. He hasn't had the success at IU that Lemonis did, but he's still had success and seems to be pretty well thought of. My guess is probably not, but it crossed my mind.

• Haha
I wonder if there's any chance Mercer's name is involved with the South Carolina search. He hasn't had the success at IU that Lemonis did, but he's still had success and seems to be pretty well thought of. My guess is probably not, but it crossed my mind.
No. Incorrect assumption and Mercer & IU are mutually committed. Who do his opponents think can come and do a better job?

No. Incorrect assumption and Mercer & IU are mutually committed. Who do his opponents think can come and do a better job?
Hard to say, because I didn't know who Jeff Mercer was before he was hired. I'd guess there are lots of current head coaches or upcoming assistants at high major schools that could do well here. But I'm not calling for Mercer's job, just wondering if he might be on the radar of bigger schools like LEmonis was.

Hard to say, because I didn't know who Jeff Mercer was before he was hired. I'd guess there are lots of current head coaches or upcoming assistants at high major schools that could do well here. But I'm not calling for Mercer's job, just wondering if he might be on the radar of bigger schools like LEmonis was.
Lemonis had success as an ACC assistant before IU, don’t think Mercer can tout that. As far as South Carolina I would say Mercer is probably not even on their radar. SC probably wants a proven coach, I know Monte Lee (formerly of Clemson) was on staff with Kingston and wants the SC job. Dan McDonnell could finally leave UL. I’d say those 2 or an SEC/ACC coach/assistant would be the pool they are looking at.

I sure wouldn’t mind that. But knowing IU, they’d probably elevate Glant. 🙃

I am amazed at the size of some of the SEC baseball stadiums with double decker seating. I heard once that LSU holds 15,000. By the way, I had not seen anyone mention about Paul Toetz He was a former second baseman for IU, then he transferred to Purdue and now is a left fielder for Georgia.

I am amazed at the size of some of the SEC baseball stadiums with double decker seating. I heard once that LSU holds 15,000. By the way, I had not seen anyone mention about Paul Toetz He was a former second baseman for IU, then he transferred to Purdue and now is a left fielder for Georgia.
He's two teams removed from IU so it's kind of out of sight, out of mind with him. Georgia was knocked out of the Super Regional in a Monday loss to NC State. I took a look at his numbers anyway and he was third on the team in batting average with a .348 percentage. I suspect that he may have had some injury problems since he appeared in 48 of Georgia's 60 games while starting 36 games. I believe he has one more season left with the Bulldogs, but he will be drafted and will probably move on.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
ISU has 16 players in the portal as of today and one of those players, Luis Hernandez, has announced he is headed to LSU, and he had a .359 average for the Sycamores with 23 homers and 76 RBIs. It won't be easy competing with the SEC/ACC for the better portal players, and the teams in the CWS which are all SEC/ACC teams, will probably get hit hard by the MLB draft and will be looking hard at the portal.

I don’t follow ISU even a little bit, but I heard the HC on a radio interview last year before they got screwed out of hosting the super regional. Dude is impressive in every way. Talked about how they overcome smaller budgets, smaller staff support, basically smaller everything. I won’t be the least bit surprised if South Florida is competing for a natty in a couple years.

ISU has 16 players in the portal as of today and one of those players, Luis Hernandez, has announced he is headed to LSU, and he had a .359 average for the Sycamores with 23 homers and 76 RBIs. It won't be easy competing with the SEC/ACC for the better portal players, and the teams in the CWS which are all SEC/ACC teams, will probably get hit hard by the MLB draft and will be looking hard at the portal.
I forgot to mention that ISU's RHP Brennyn Cutts, the top pitcher in the MVC with an ERA of 3.69 and the Pitcher of the Year in the MVC, entered the portal yesterday. There just might be a SEC bidding war for his services, or maybe the ACC will sneak in there.

I don’t follow ISU even a little bit, but I heard the HC on a radio interview last year before they got screwed out of hosting the super regional. Dude is impressive in every way. Talked about how they overcome smaller budgets, smaller staff support, basically smaller everything. I won’t be the least bit surprised if South Florida is competing for a natty in a couple years.
He is receiving a raise, but not as much as I would have thought. It was reported he had $200,000 at ISU and will have $300,000 at South Florida.

• Wow
He's two teams removed from IU so it's kind of out of sight, out of mind with him. Georgia was knocked out of the Super Regional in a Monday loss to NC State. I took a look at his numbers anyway and he was third on the team in batting average with a .348 percentage. I suspect that he may have had some injury problems since he appeared in 48 of Georgia's 60 games while starting 36 games. I believe he has one more season left with the Bulldogs, but he will be drafted and will probably move on.
I wonder if Bobby Whalen has another season remaining so he can play for a fourth team. He started at Louisville, then to IU and now at Virginia.

If my memory is correct, they didn't get screwed out of hosting a super regional. The Indiana Special Olympics had been scheduled to take place in Terre Haute on the same dates of the super regionals. All of the hotel rooms around Terre Haute were already reserved for the special olympics and there couldn't be a schedule change for either event, which forced ISU to go on the road.

If my memory is correct, they didn't get screwed out of hosting a super regional. The Indiana Special Olympics had been scheduled to take place in Terre Haute on the same dates of the super regionals. All of the hotel rooms around Terre Haute were already reserved for the special olympics and there couldn't be a schedule change for either event, which forced ISU to go on the road.
That rings a bell

That rings a bell
Believe me they could have done both but the now departed President Curtis screwed the pooch on that decision. Believe me it expedited her departure and his along with some strange removal of their AD. I live in Terre Haute and friend with the family of the pitching coach. He could help IU like he did ISU. After one year he was promoted to Associate head coach. This was just second year after retiring from MLB and Japan due to Tommy John surgeries too many times.

Your memory is correct. Hosting a Super Regional at a place like ISU is more than likely a once-in-a-lifetime event. Whatever the reason for cancellation (worthy or otherwise) is screwing the players, fans, and coaches in my opinion.

Believe me they could have done both but the now departed President Curtis screwed the pooch on that decision. Believe me it expedited her departure and his along with some strange removal of their AD. I live in Terre Haute and friend with the family of the pitching coach. He could help IU like he did ISU. After one year he was promoted to Associate head coach. This was just second year after retiring from MLB and Japan due to Tommy John surgeries too many times.
Exactly what I had heard.

I had to go back and take a look at how that whole thing came down and here is an excerpt from one article and it pointed out that the UK was allowed to host a regional the week before which we remember painfully, and the NCAA bended the rules to allow UK to host that regional. It certainly supports that the decision at ISU came from the very top. Here's the excerpt:

“There are a variety of factors that come into play with the competition for resources and staff,” Indiana State Athletics said in a statement posted to Twitter. “With the potential for multiple large-scale events occurring in the area simultaneously and due to NCAA limitations on hotel distance from the field, there is a lack of hotel space to handle the accommodations required to house the visiting team, the support staff for the games, and the ESPN crew that would be in attendance.”

The NCAA, however, bended the rules for the Lexington Regional, hosted by the Kentucky. Baseball players from Indiana, West Virginia, and Ball State stayed in UK dorms throughout the regional — Lexington didn’t have hotels available because of multiple state tournaments and a country music festival.

Indiana State also pointed to a lack of essential personnel to host another event this weekend, especially after playing host to the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament and Terre Haute Regional.

“The personnel to run the event is a factor we must consider,” the statement continued. “After hosting the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament and the Terre Haute Regional in back-to-back weeks, keeping additional staff available that are not already working with Special Olympics has affected our potential workforce for another large-scale operation.

Reactions: Bligedy
Luke Hayden entered the portal today. I'm guessing that he will be drafted high enough to move on to the minors, but he is keeping his options open by entering the portal. Coach Mercer said he had the best stuff on his pitching staff but was held back because of control issues. Well, his one season at Indiana State seemed to rectify that.

Once ISU names a coach and puts together a staff, that will be the place to go for players in the portal that are looking for playing time with the big exodus going on.

Your memory is correct. Hosting a Super Regional at a place like ISU is more than likely a once-in-a-lifetime event. Whatever the reason for cancellation (worthy or otherwise) is screwing the players, fans, and coaches in my opinion.
I don’t think they had the volunteer/law enforcement/staffing horsepower to
Host both events and the President chose the Special Olympics.

I have worked special Olympics here in Terre Haute and most of the workers are volunteers from the community and would not have over impacted the ability to host the regional. It was simply a President's decision and they tried to compensate by the fact that the Texas school who hosted instead of them donated money to Indiana Special Olympics and one bar in the area also had a fund raiser for Indiana Special Olympics.

The ISU fan base and several board members called for Curtis head at the time the decision and she is now gone. Special Olympics is always the same weekend and potentially always be a problem for ISU.

There is also another downtown hotel being built next to the convention center and they could have used dorms like Kentucky did.

We should consider that pitching coach that helped Luke Hayden. Justin Hancock was promoted after one year on the staff this past season to associate head coach. Justin pitched briefly for the Cubs and in Japan. He had several Tommy John surgeries and retired from baseball. His family used to live in my neighborhood and our great people. His wife is a Terre Haute native and holds the girls scoring record for Terre Haute South. Bloomington would not be that far away from family.

I have worked special Olympics here in Terre Haute and most of the workers are volunteers from the community and would not have over impacted the ability to host the regional. It was simply a President's decision and they tried to compensate by the fact that the Texas school who hosted instead of them donated money to Indiana Special Olympics and one bar in the area also had a fund raiser for Indiana Special Olympics.

The ISU fan base and several board members called for Curtis head at the time the decision and she is now gone. Special Olympics is always the same weekend and potentially always be a problem for ISU.

There is also another downtown hotel being built next to the convention center and they could have used dorms like Kentucky did.

We should consider that pitching coach that helped Luke Hayden. Justin Hancock was promoted after one year on the staff this past season to associate head coach. Justin pitched briefly for the Cubs and in Japan. He had several Tommy John surgeries and retired from baseball. His family used to live in my neighborhood and our great people. His wife is a Terre Haute native and holds the girls scoring record for Terre Haute South. Bloomington would not be that far away from family.
You sound more in the know since you're local to TH, but why would the president not want them to host? Seems to me there truly was an inability to correctly host all of the necessary parties given the overlap with Special Olympics

Reactions: muubell
You sound more in the know since you're local to TH, but why would the president not want them to host? Seems to me there truly was an inability to correctly host all of the necessary parties given the overlap with Special

There definitely would have been some issues but nothing to overcome. She felt the history and the organization of Special Olympics was more important than baseball in Terre Haute. She was not really wrong, but the community has supported the decent ISU teams with an absolute passion.

I have ISU friends that are still pissed at Coach Moren for leaving. Baseball has been the most consistent decent sport since the 80's.

There definitely would have been some issues but nothing to overcome. She felt the history and the organization of Special Olympics was more important than baseball in Terre Haute. She was not really wrong, but the community has supported the decent ISU teams with an absolute passion.

I have ISU friends that are still pissed at Coach Moren for leaving. Baseball has been the most consistent decent sport since the 80's.
What's the word on Killinger leaving?

Luke Hayden announced he is transferring to LSU, and he will join fellow teammate and hot hitting Luis Hernandez in Baton Rouge. Similar to Craig Yoho's situation who committed to Arkansas and then signed a pro contract, both players are going to be drafted high enough that they may not see the Baton Rouge campus.

Reactions: 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT