ADVERTISEMENT

OT. How cool is it to see all the IU gear

Yes, this group will have a few medalists … I’m pulling for Lilli particularly.
A little tough to follow the tracker but it appears six men and two women are still in it as well as two women diving pairs anone men's. Individual diving yet to come.

Sort of an IU, TX, Cal feel although ND has suddenly produced a couple of swimmers

Doc’s foundation made today possible.
I have a cool Doc Councilman story. A former coworker of mine went to IU when Councilman was the coach. My friend was an avid swimmer, tracked his times on his own, was always working to improve splits, times, strokes per pool length, etc... He was swimming in the IU pool one day, with hardly anyone else in the pool or on the deck. He came up from a lap, and Doc was sitting next to the pool waiting for him. He spent 5 minutes talking with him, and showing him some better stroke mechanics, etc... and then walked out of the pool area.

My friend said the next day he shattered his own PRs in basically ever measurement he had been using. He sent Councilman a letter thanking him, and Councilman sent him back some workouts to work on, and he checked in on my friend a couple times throughout his time at IU.

I have a cool Doc Councilman story. A former coworker of mine went to IU when Councilman was the coach. My friend was an avid swimmer, tracked his times on his own, was always working to improve splits, times, strokes per pool length, etc... He was swimming in the IU pool one day, with hardly anyone else in the pool or on the deck. He came up from a lap, and Doc was sitting next to the pool waiting for him. He spent 5 minutes talking with him, and showing him some better stroke mechanics, etc... and then walked out of the pool area.

My friend said the next day he shattered his own PRs in basically ever measurement he had been using. He sent Councilman a letter thanking him, and Councilman sent him back some workouts to work on, and he checked in on my friend a couple times throughout his time at IU.
So cool, very Doc.

Reactions: 76-1
On the athletes, coaches and fans at the Swimming and Diving Trials.

40 IU athletes participating
The local NBC news channel here in Charlotte was commenting on how many Indiana swimmers there are and how great the venue is at LOS.

Pretty good publicity.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman

I was working out at the pathetic equipment they had at the HPER in 1977-78-ish. I was doing some sit-ups on the one wall with bars where I could hook my feet and next to me was an older guy, also doing sit-ups. We were there a while and then we both got up.

He had a "What's up Doc?" t-shirt on and it was The Man himself, prepping for his swim of the English Channel.

I was working out at the pathetic equipment they had at the HPER in 1977-78-ish. I was doing some sit-ups on the one wall with bars where I could hook my feet and next to me was an older guy, also doing sit-ups. We were there a while and then we both got up.

He had a "What's up Doc?" t-shirt on and it was The Man himself, prepping for his swim of the English Channel.
My HS was strong in swimming during the 70s and some of the guys had those t shirts.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

Did it motivate you to swim the channel??

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
It motivated me to go back and take a nap before going out to the Bluebird for the evening.
I’ve been a runner since I turned about 30. When asked if I ran in college I always say only if you count the short trot from the Bird to Kilroy’s sports

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
A little tough to follow the tracker but it appears six men and two women are still in it as well as two women diving pairs anone men's. Individual diving yet to come.

Sort of an IU, TX, Cal feel although ND has suddenly produced a couple of swimmers
Doc and Eddie Reese - The two greatest swim coaches ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT