ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colorado back to Big XII? (links)

Radio Zero

All-Big Ten
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, there was a cryptic Instagram post from an official Ohio State account with Brutus in arms with the Oregon Duck with the caption “Big things coming…” and with Colorado bolting tomorrow, and the PAC having no TV deal, the dominos are going to fall swiftly.
I'd guess that is for a game. Not sure OSU would be the one to announce that. I didn't think that looked to have anything to do with conference realignment. That doesn't mean Oregon isn't coming, but osu and Oregon were supposed to play in Oregon during covid.

I wonder if Oregon and Washington are willing to accept junior B1G memberships or if the calculus for additions has changed. Supposedly the last time their membership was analyzed, it didn’t make financial sense from a media rights perspective.

Maybe USC and UCLA came to their senses and realized traveling to the Midwest & East for all their sports was more of a headache than they originally appreciated.

I wonder if Oregon and Washington are willing to accept junior B1G memberships or if the calculus for additions has changed.
What leverage do Washington and Oregon have over the Big Ten?

The Big Ten ought to — out of mere caprice, and maliciously — invite, say, Arizona and Oregon State, and watch everyone tremble as the schools jump.

Do it because we *can* do it.

EDIT. Nice lil’ touch up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BayernFan

For anyone interested in this topic, there is a college football realignment forum with some extremely knowledgeable posters.....the general consensus seems to have been that Washington & Oregon to the BT is not likely to happen in this cycle., because their addition does not come close to bringing in enough $ v. the $ needed to feed 2 more programs.

Another factor is that there has been so much change in the last couple of years in the BT involving BT Commish, ADs, and Presidents that there is presently a lack of both leadership & consensus.

For anyone interested in this topic, there is a college football realignment forum with some extremely knowledgeable posters.....the general consensus seems to have been that Washington & Oregon to the BT is not likely to happen in this cycle., because their addition does not come close to bringing in enough $ v. the $ needed to feed 2 more programs.

Another factor is that there has been so much change in the last couple of years in the BT involving BT Commish, ADs, and Presidents that there is presently a lack of both leadership & consensus.
Petiti said exactly this

Phil Knight is the wildcard. I do not imagine he will let Nike U be left out to dry on the CW Network.

Phil Knight is the wildcard. I do not imagine he will let Nike U be left out to dry on the CW Network.
IDK where I heard this, but supposedly when UCLA & USC joined the conference there was an understanding that Oregon would not be joining the B1G. Seemed they thought that by excluding the Ducks, the two schools recruiting efforts in Southern California would improve.

Doesn't look like Oregon or Washington are joining the B1G any time soon...but we continue to lust for ND

> According to Washington D.C-based media consultant Jim Williams, the Big Ten is not planning to undergo an expansion process until after USC and UCLA are fully integrated into the conference. This is because the conference wants to fully evaluate the benefit of its realignment. On the other hand, the Big Ten is closely evaluating the media deal situation between Notre Dame and NBC. The inability to find common ground could put the Fighting Irish in line for a realignment with the Big Ten. This evidently relegates the Pac-12 teams in the pecking order.

The current media deal situation between Notre Dame and NBC could present a golden chance to the Big Ten. Notre Dame has had its home games broadcasted by the network since 1991. However, the long-term partnership now appears to be in jeopardy.

The Fighting Irish are reportedly seeking $60-$75 million from NBC, a massive increase from the $22 million it currently earns. With the network reluctant to agree to such a deal, the Big Ten could take advantage. Its huge media deal already includes a "Notre Dame Clause."

According to reports, the new media deal for the Big Ten contains specific provisions detailing the additional yearly financial compensation in case Notre Dame chooses to become a member of the conference. The television networks will be required to pay the conference an undisclosed supplementary amount each year.

FWIW

Almost makes You wish you could go back to the old days of the Big 8 with the Nebraska-Oklahoma Rivalry with Colorado and Mizzou having teams that could challenge every couple of Years. The old saying was "You can't tell the Players without a Scorecard. now the saying has become, 'You can't tell the Conference Teams participating without a program that is updated daily.

Almost makes You wish you could go back to the old days of the Big 8 with the Nebraska-Oklahoma Rivalry with Colorado and Mizzou having teams that could challenge every couple of Years. The old saying was "You can't tell the Players without a Scorecard. now the saying has become, 'You can't tell the Conference Teams participating without a program that is updated daily.
Expansion needs to settle down but it does look like it will soon. If conferences would get set and stay fans would develop new rivals and point to those games as the big games IE TCU v Colorado etc.

Notre Dame is always the unicorn. Would love their addition. But don’t see it happening anytime soon.

what market(s) does ND bring to the B10 were it to join?

what market(s) does ND bring the ACC, SEC, B12, PAC?

seems to me that ND would be worth more to other conferences, especially ones lacking in marquee brands, than to the B10.

that said, there is the obvious "distance" factor for ND.

and the "recruiting factor".

i suppose only someone at ND could tell us how being ACC affects recruiting to ND, both fball and bball, as opposed to if they were in the B10.

will be interesting to see how being in the B10 affects recruiting to USC and UCLA vs being in the PAC.

that said, not being an insider or a lawyer, i have no idea the legal ramifications and restraints were UCLA and USC to renege on joining the B10 and stay in the PAC.

absent the legal ties being unbreakable, i still wouldn't totally rule out UCLA and USC staying in the PAC after all. (or returning later).

how much are UCLA and USC worth to the PAC, vs worth to the B10?

especially if say major carriage deals would be dependent on them being in the PAC, when they probably aren't nearly as dependent on them being in the B10.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

seems to me that ND would be worth more to other conferences, especially ones lacking in marquee brands, than to the B10.

i suppose only someone at ND could tell us how being ACC affects recruiting to ND, both fball and bball, as opposed to if they were in the B10.

will be interesting to see how being in the B10 affects recruiting to USC and UCLA vs being in the PAC.

that said, not being an insider or a lawyer, i have no idea the legal ramifications and restraints were UCLA and USC to renege on joining the B10 and stay in the PAC.

absent the legal ties being unbreakable, i still wouldn't totally rule out UCLA and USC staying in the PAC after all. (or returning later).

especially if say major carriage deals would be dependent on them being in the PAC, when they probably aren't nearly as dependent on them being in the B10.

that said, all this "realignment" insanity is rooted 100% in the current pay tv/streaming revenue model, the current Fox-Disney/ESPN cachet dominance and distribution ability, and negotiating cartels.

the current pay tv/streaming revenue model is rooted in tech limitations extinct for over 2 decades, and over the top anti competitive monopolistic practices that are, and always have been, totally illegal in literally every other industry, and only legal in the pay tv streaming industry due to being grandfathered in from the old tech that went extinct 2 decades ago.

as for legality of the negotiating cartels, i have zero idea regarding that.

i'm guessing they are illegal as well, but as with most things sports related, pro and college, over looked and/or excused by the FTC.

i'll assume they will continue to be excused by the FTC unless and until a politically viable chunk of the country ever gets left without a chair when the music stops.

as for the over the top monopolistic anti competitive pay tv/streaming revenue model that should have become illegal 20 plus yrs ago, hopefully that gets addressed sooner than later, which doing so also depends on a politically viable chunk of the country getting left without a chair and demanding it.

point being, all this realignment insanity is based in the over the top monopolistic anti competitive pay tv/streaming revenue model.

for every beneficiary of this model, there are 100,000 big losers.

hopefully at some point those 100,000 to one figure out they are being robbed big time by what absolutely should be totally illegal, and create enough of a political stink to overpower the moneyed interests involved, who absolutely love the illegal robbery going down every month.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
Funny that it seemed a few years back that the Big 12 was going to collapse and now it looks set to absorb possibly Arizona and Oregon, becoming the 3rd super-power conference... all the while the Pac12 becomes completely irrelevant.

Reactions: Radio Zero

USC and UCLA being the only western teams in the BT cannot work in the long-run, imo.

Here's what I think has happened to date, and why.

When the SEC took Texas & Oklahoma, they won the 'realignment war', in so far as football goes. And football drives the $ and prestige.

The SEC had already been kicking the BT's ass, but adding Texas & Oklahoma was a total game-changer.

If the BT wanted to remain even within striking distance, they had to make a splash response, but there really was no logical one available. All the truly big time programs other than USC and ND were already in the SEC or Big Ten, or tied up with the ACC (as is ND, even if they wanted to come to the BT, which they don't ).

So, into this vacuum steps USC, with eyes on BT $ and no significant legal ties to the PAC.

Without USC, the Big Ten was permanently going to clear 2nd tier status......ahead of the ACC, Big 12, and PAC, but barely within shouting distance of the SEC.

On the other hand, taking USC put the final stake through the heart of the BT all of us had known.

USC couldn't come alone, so UCLA was added as well. Everyone and his uncle assumed that there would be at least two other additions as soon as USC and UCLA were digested. Everyone instinctively understood you couldn't just take 2 west coast teams and leave them on an island 2000 miles away from the other schools. That eventually, as you say, their fans & administrators will demand something different. But that's what happened......why?

1. The BT felt it could not pass on USC & UCLA. In addition to football and market, their academics are top notch for schools that are legit football actors. 2. Going to 16, ending the BT as we knew it, and adjusting to the additions of two schools so distant were huge changes. There was no consensus on what to do next, and adding 4 right away was too considered too much change. Warren was not completely trusted by the Presidents because he was an NFL guy with an NFL outlook. Also, over the last few years there has been tremendous turnover among the BT presidents. And the new contract had to be negotiated. 3. At some point when and after the contract was negotiated, it became clear that adding the two most logical #s 3 & 4, Washington & Oregon, would actually cost the BT $, and a good amount of it, at least in the short-run. This is something, of course, that should have been considered when the decision to take USC & UCLA was first made. if the leadership wasn't willing to take 4 in total, perhaps not immediately, but eventually, they shouldn't have taken USC & UCLA. I think the general thinking was they could put off taking Washington & Oregon for 2-3 years, and get them later by offering 50-60% until the end of the contract, and 100% thereafter. What has never really been explained if how Washington & Oregon would be worthwhile schools to be 100% partners in 5-7 years, but aren't right now............

Think about this situation if you were a USC or UCLA fan.......sure OSU, PSU, and Michigan would be interesting, but you're only going to play 1-2 of them in any given year. Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Nebraska might be palatable, but IU, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern.....in November? They have less than 0 interest in those schools.

Funny that it seemed a few years back that the Big 12 was going to collapse and now it looks set to absorb possibly Arizona and Oregon, becoming the 3rd super-power conference... all the while the Pac12 becomes completely irrelevant.
Where are you seeing that? I’ve seen the Arizona schools and Utah mentioned. Not seeing Oregon.

USC and UCLA are going to benefit financially from joining the B1G along with gaining prestige/exposure by joining the B1G.

One of the stories I remember was that the Buffs would play one game in LA every year, which gave them an ‘in’ when recruiting SoCal talent. USC and UCLA going to the BiG 10 took that away. Big 12 was probably the only realistic landing spot, once that recruiting wrinkle dried up.

It will be interesting to see if what’s left of the PAC-12 ends up merging with the mountain west.

Long term, I think the Rose Bowl will drop the PAC-12 and invite an at large team to play the BiG 10 champion.

Last edited:
We’re heading to 2 leagues, American and National, with the rest being the “minor” leagues that feed up through the portal. Maybe even some up and down team movement ala soccer.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
One of the stories I remember was that the Buffs would play one game in LA every year, which gave them an ‘in’ when recruiting SoCal talent. USC and UCLA going to the BiG 10 took that away. Big 12 was probably the only realistic landing spot, once that recruiting wrinkle dried up.

It will be interesting to see if what’s left of the PAC-12 ends up merging with the mountain west.

Long term, I think the Rose Bowl will drop the PAC-12 and invite an at large team to play the BiG 10 champion.
I thought with the 12 team expansion of the playoffs that the Rose Bowl agreed to be a quarter finals host and understanding that it wasn’t a guarantee to get a B1G/PAC game? This is the last year of the Rose Bowl as we know it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT