ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Reds fans here?

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
I've been a Reds fan my whole life. Watch/listen through thick and thin. For the life of me I can't figure out how they folded so badly this year. Team is stocked with really good hitters. Has a really good mix of veterans and outstanding rookies. Fairly strong starting pitching and a bullpen that should be utilized better. It's just amazing they had the WC slot nailed down a few weeks ago and just handed it to the Cardinals.

I will timidly raise my hand and admit to being a Reds fan since my first games, a doubleheader that wrapped a 4 game home stand against the Padres in '73.

Since '91 It's been only slightly better than being an Indiana Football fan. They just choked it away. Now I'm preparing for the fire sale.

I've been a Reds fan since my childhood, ever since I was old enough to have a basic understanding of the game. I was around to enjoy the Big Red Machine days so I'm no spring chicken. They cut payroll going into this season, but appeared they had a decent chance to make the playoffs up until the late season collapse in which they lost 8 of 10 games or something like that which took them out of the race for a playoff spot. They just extended David Bell for another two years, so he obviously wasn't on the hot seat because of the late season collapse. It's amazing that the Tampa Bay Rays can play at the level they have played this season with a payroll that is almost $60 million below the Reds' payroll. They seem to always have a top notch pitching staff, which indicates that the organization has a good scouting and development staff, and they seem to know how to handle their staff at the MLB level. The Yankees and Red Sox , with their huge payrolls, can't seem to compete at the same level with them in recent seasons.

Well, the Reds are off to their second-worst start in franchise history after 13 games and are 2-11. The Reds dumped four of their best players in the off-season who were needed for this team to have a chance to be competitive, and the results have been telling. Team president Phil Castellini during an interview basically said he didn't care what the fans think after many of them complained about failed rebuilds and bad trades, etc., and hinted he could move the team if they didn't like it. Here's an item at Redleg Nation that I thought was pretty good along with the comments after the item.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Well, the Reds are off to their second-worst start in franchise history after 13 games and are 2-11. The Reds dumped four of their best players in the off-season who were needed for this team to have a chance to be competitive, and the results have been telling. Owner Phil Castellini during an interview basically said he didn't care what the fans think after many of them complained about failed rebuilds and bad trades, etc., and hinted he could move the team if they didn't like it. Here's an item at Redleg Nation that I thought was pretty good along with the comments after the item.

This dufus is Bob Castellini’s (the owner) son. Makes it even worse.

This dufus is Bob Castellini’s (the owner) son. Makes it even worse.
Yeah. I screwed that up, and he is the team president. My mind just focused on the last name and he certainly has an arrogant demeanor about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30
First game as a young guy at Crosley with my late dad and grandpa...seen some really good baseball in Cincy.

Fans are beat down...Bob needs to sell the team.
The days of the Big Red Machine seem like an eternity ago. We have an owner that's only about making money and doesn't seem to care about the product on the field as long as the money stream is there. He's going to make money regardless of the fan support and that is the way it is in professional sports nowadays with all of the various money streams that come in to include money from the luxury tax from other successful teams that choose to have a competitive team on the field. I don't know what effect the new collective bargaining agreement had on the luxury tax, if any.

Fans arrriving at the Reds' ballpark with negative signs/shirts, and even bags over the head expressing their displeasure over the team's ownership/management, were being told to ditch them or leave the stadium. I guess the Reds got such a big backlash over it that they are now allowing fans to express their displeasure over the team's horrific preseason moves and start to the season.

Fans arrriving at the Reds' ballpark with negative signs/shirts, and even bags over the head expressing their displeasure over the team's ownership/management, were being told to ditch them or leave the stadium. I guess the Reds got such a big backlash over it that they are now allowing fans to express their displeasure over the team's horrific preseason moves and start to the season.

"This was a mistake on our part. We have taken corrective action ... We understand people want to express themselves in the ballpark. We don't think we'll have another problem with that," Tim O'Connell, vice president of facilities and operations, said:

He noted that fans are able to send the messages they want to the team, "even if it is to express displeasure."

I don't think the messages are being sent to the team, unless by team, he means ownership.

You Reds fans need to go all A's on your owners. Except that the A's are usually pretty good so I'm not quite sure what they're so upset about. But I do know they're not going to the games.

You Reds fans need to go all A's on your owners. Except that the A's are usually pretty good so I'm not quite sure what they're so upset about. But I do know they're not going to the games.
FiL is an A's fan, so I get the scoop from him.

The A's have gone super cheap since the new owner took over 15 or 16 years ago. In March of this year, they blew up their team, much like the Reds did. And since that wasn't bad enough, they doubled ticket prices and screwed season ticket holders by cutting some perks in addition to not fully staffing and supplying concessions. On opening night, they ran out of hot dogs and only had half the concession stands open.

Fans think they want to move, so they're doing everything they can to discourage attendance.

• Angry
Reactions: mk30 and Seyton
FiL is an A's fan, so I get the scoop from him.

The A's have gone super cheap since the new owner took over 15 or 16 years ago. In March of this year, they blew up their team, much like the Reds did. And since that wasn't bad enough, they doubled ticket prices and screwed season ticket holders by cutting some perks in addition to not fully staffing and supplying concessions. On opening night, they ran out of hot dogs and only had half the concession stands open.

Fans think they want to move, so they're doing everything they can to discourage attendance.

Whoa...

Well, the Reds are now 3-20 and this year's team could challenge as the worst team in franchise history, and they are on their way to losing 100+ games this season. The last time that happened was 40 years ago in 1982 when they lost 101 games. The Reds have a league-leading 13 players on the injured list. Phil Castellini Is probably thinking "who cares?" as long as the revenue streams are still there. Here's a pretty good article on the situation that came out yesterday when they were 3-19.

Turned on the game last night in the top of the 8th and turned it off after about 4 pitches. Glad I didn't sit there and watch them hang 5 more on us in the bottom of the inning.

Turned on the game last night in the top of the 8th and turned it off after about 4 pitches. Glad I didn't sit there and watch them hang 5 more on us in the bottom of the inning.
It's hard to follow a team 1,000 miles away in the first place. Then when they constantly dump all their decent players, seem to have no interest in competing, and are so bad that they don't even make TV highlights... well... I am close to giving up after 52 years being a fan.

It's hard to follow a team 1,000 miles away in the first place. Then when they constantly dump all their decent players, seem to have no interest in competing, and are so bad that they don't even make TV highlights... well... I am close to giving up after 52 years being a fan.
I feel the same way after 49 years and I'm just a couple of hours up the road. The pirates are probably licking their chops for the upcoming series to get north of .500 and the Cards are probably pissed that the Brewers get another taste next week.

Well, I want to personally thank Bob and Phil Castellini for another dismal season by the Reds, a team that has done almost nothing in recent seasons other than spin their wheels as an organization. The last time they lost 100 games in a season was the 1982 season when they lost 102 games. They finished the season today tied with the Pirates with a record of 62-100. Attendance this season for 79 home dates was 1,387,947 which is 400,000 lower than what it was for the 2019 season, and the lowest for a full season since the 1984 season. I'm looking forward to watching the prospects they traded for this season developing into solid major leaguers which will mean they will be on some other team's roster in a flash.

Well, I want to personally thank Bob and Phil Castellini for another dismal season by the Reds, a team that has done almost nothing in recent seasons other than spin their wheels as an organization. The last time they lost 100 games in a season was the 1982 season when they lost 102 games. They finished the season today tied with the Pirates with a record of 62-100. Attendance this season for 79 home dates was 1,387,947 which is 400,000 lower than what it was for the 2019 season, and the lowest for a full season since the 1984 season. I'm looking forward to watching the prospects they traded for this season developing into solid major leaguers which will mean they will be on some other team's roster in a flash.
I’m sorry.

signed Cardinals fan.,

So you're saying I shouldn't keep watching the replay on Marquee?

• Haha
Rooting for the Reds is becoming more painful than rooting for the Pacers, IU Football, and often times the Colts. When IU's baseball team struggles like it has of late, I typically ask my doc to up the prescription on my happy pills. It's brutal around here.

Reactions: outside shooter
It's been a while since the Reds were at or close to sniffing a .500 record by mid-June and they reached .500 with a road win over the Astros tonight, 2-1. Not counting the early games at the start of the season, the last time the Reds were .500 or better in a season was in mid-May of the 2017 season and we are certainly well past that point this season. The Reds finished 5th in the NL Central in 2017.

They look like they have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs this season and they can thank the rest of the NL Central for waiting for them. I can't remember when I last saw the Cardinals at 16 games below .500 at this point in the season. Here's a link to an article that just came out on Thursday giving five reasons why the Reds might make the playoffs this season.

Last edited:
I started this thread and am now posting under the 3rd username (idiot mod on the basketball board gets power happy too often). It’s a damn shame I can’t watch any Reds games on the stupid Bally Sports app. Anyone here actually get to watch their games? Seems like their young guys are pretty exciting.

I guess the Votto era is over with. I saw early today that the Reds didn't pick up team option on him. There is a glut of young infield talent on the team and they are going the youngster route.

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Easily my favorite Red who has never won anything.

“He said, 'I want to know that you're going to be here for the long haul’,” Votto remembers on the day that the team announced that the Reds would not be picking up his option for 2024. “I want to know that you're going to be a Cincinnati Red.' ”

“At that time, that gave me pause,” Votto said on Saturday. “I was thinking, I don't like making commitments long-term, and that ended up being the very best decision on his part and it ended up being the best thing that's happened in my life because I'll always be known as a Cincinnati Red.”

I absolutely hate it for Votto. But this reminds me of when the Colts released Peyton. Almost have to do it with so much young talent already up and several more ready. Hope he lands somewhere and can continue playing as long as he wants.

I absolutely hate it for Votto. But this reminds me of when the Colts released Peyton. Almost have to do it with so much young talent already up and several more ready. Hope he lands somewhere and can continue playing as long as he wants.
He's officially a free agent and he has said he wants to play at least one more year, and he would consider playing elsewhere. He's 40 so there won't be a rush by teams to try to sign him at this point. Many teams will probably shy away from giving up a roster spot to an aging player that is clearly near the end of his career. I sure will hate it to see him in another uniform next season if he doesn't retire and hooks on to another team.

I saw today that the Toronto Blue Jays are showing some interest in Votto. He's originally from the Toronto area.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It's always something with the Reds. Marte has been suspended for 80 games over PEDs. Here's a paragraph from the article:

"Marte, 22, was acquired from the Seattle Mariners as the headliner in the Luis Castillo trade at the 2022 deadline. He made his MLB debut last season and hit .316/.366/.456 in 35 games. Marte will be eligible to return in Cincinnati's 81st game of the regular season on June 26. That is the final game of a three-game home series with the Pittsburgh Pirates."

It's always something with the Reds. Marte has been suspended for 80 games over PEDs. Here's a paragraph from the article:

"Marte, 22, was acquired from the Seattle Mariners as the headliner in the Luis Castillo trade at the 2022 deadline. He made his MLB debut last season and hit .316/.366/.456 in 35 games. Marte will be eligible to return in Cincinnati's 81st game of the regular season on June 26. That is the final game of a three-game home series with the Pittsburgh Pirates."
I saw something about Marte the other day and I’m still not sure if I believe it. The article said he would be ineligible for the postseason. How can they let him come back for the second half of the season, but be ineligible in the playoffs?

I saw something about Marte the other day and I’m still not sure if I believe it. The article said he would be ineligible for the postseason. How can they let him come back for the second half of the season, but be ineligible in the playoffs?
Yes, he will be ineligible for postseason play if the Reds are in the postseason. Here's a little clip on it.

"Marte's suspension will take effect at the start of the regular season on March 28. If the Reds were to reach the postseason in 2024, Marte would be ineligible to compete in those games, according to MLB rules."

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT