ADVERTISEMENT

One game at a time

I hear ya, but the reality is I can barely name a player on MD's roster, it's still hard for me to think of them as a B10 team, and PU is our rival and #1 in the country. I think it's probably OK if we as fans look forward to Saturday, just not that our players do. I don't expect to log any minutes tonight, so I forgive me.
I think we'll play pretty well tonight. We might still lose. Maryland is good enough to beat us in their gym, even if we're playing well. But I bet we put up a good effort.

I hear ya, but the reality is I can barely name a player on MD's roster, it's still hard for me to think of them as a B10 team, and PU is our rival and #1 in the country. I think it's probably OK if we as fans look forward to Saturday, just not that our players do. I don't expect to log any minutes tonight, so I forgive me.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Reactions: kkott
I think we'll play pretty well tonight. We might still lose. Maryland is good enough to beat us in their gym, even if we're playing well. But I bet we put up a good effort.
For our conference standing, tonight is probably bigger than Saturday. Need to create some separation when there are 8 teams within 1 W or L of each other.

MD has won at home, but their best B10 win so far is over IL. The rest of their wins are over the bottom half of the standings, and they haven't won in the conference on the road. Their place gets loud when they get on a roll and they feed off that. A win there for IU will be a big sign of growth and confidence.

-2.5 at Maryland. Also seeing a big visit list of 5* recruits.for PU. Not sure who but think it’s Queen, Mcneely, Newel…etc. should be the best atmosphere in CBB Saturday. Just take care of Maryland and it’s really on!

-2.5 at Maryland. Also seeing a big visit list of 5* recruits.for PU. Not sure who but think it’s Queen, Mcneely, Newel…etc. should be the best atmosphere in CBB Saturday. Just take care of Maryland and it’s really on!
wonder if we were in consideration for College Gameday? They're doing KU at ISU instead. Personally, I think they blew it!

Last edited:
Reactions: TyWebbIU
I was thinking of the best way to counter that 1-1 comment. This is probably it.

I'd take 1-1 if I knew the win was Purdue. I'd take 1-1 if I knew the alternative was 0-2. I wouldn't sign up today for 1-1, without knowing who the win was against though.
To be fair, IU will likely be the underdog in both games. 1-1 won't be a bad thing this week, no matter who the win is against.

That may be the price you have to pay to contain Edey on offense and get defensive rebounds. I think IU is big and long enough to prevent easy lobs. If the goal is to make somebody else beat you, then that is going to involve other players trying to score: mission accomplished. Rank the other players on offense and guard the biggest threats the most.
Most teams rebound worse out of the zone, especially teams that don't often play zone. I doubt we see much zone, unless Purdue absolutely destroys our man d.

At least once want to see Kopp score 20+ in regulation. What better time for a career night than his last home game against pU in AH?
Not me. That would most certainly mean Kopp would go back to trying to create off the dribble (never a good thing) and forcing some shots. I'd love to see him continue to work his ass off defensively, do all the necessary things (dive for loose balls, box out, make the extra pass) required for winning and take open shots when they are presented.

I feel like Kopp has finally accepted the role that is best for the team. All he needs to do is keep filling that role happily.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I hope so. That consistency has not been a part of our program for many, many years. I can accept losing, but hate when we don't give good effort or an account of ourselves. Heck, I wonder how long it's been since we had a 5 game B10 winning streak? I'd guess back to 2016, and maybe 2013. I'll admit to being jealous of how PU has taken care of business on the road.

Reactions: TyWebbIU
I hope so. That consistency has not been a part of our program for many, many years. I can accept losing, but hate when we don't give good effort or an account of ourselves. Heck, I wonder how long it's been since we had a 5 game B10 winning streak? I'd guess back to 2016, and maybe 2013. I'll admit to being jealous of how PU has taken care of business on the road.
Not sure on 5 game conference win streak, but you have to go back to 2018-2019 to find a 4 game conference win streak. That was the year we lost 12 of 13 at one point.

Conference streaks (last few years)
Last season
Win streak 2
Losing streak 5

2020-2021
Win streak 2
Losing streak 6

2019-2020
Win streak 2
Losing streak 4

2018-2019
Win streak 4
Losing streak 7

Not me. That would most certainly mean Kopp would go back to trying to create off the dribble (never a good thing) and forcing some shots. I'd love to see him continue to work his ass off defensively, do all the necessary things (dive for loose balls, box out, make the extra pass) required for winning and take open shots when they are presented.

I feel like Kopp has finally accepted the role that is best for the team. All he needs to do is keep filling that role happily.
Or he could just bury a bunch from range. He's actually had some decent drives, not much of a sample size to be writing him off IMO, and as they say, 'every dog has his day'. In any case, nothing mutually exclusive about him scoring a lot and fulfilling your notion of "his role" on the Team.

Not sure on 5 game conference win streak, but you have to go back to 2018-2019 to find a 4 game conference win streak. That was the year we lost 12 of 13 at one point.

Conference streaks (last few years)
Last season
Win streak 2
Losing streak 5

2020-2021
Win streak 2
Losing streak 6

2019-2020
Win streak 2
Losing streak 4

2018-2019
Win streak 4
Losing streak 7
Ouch

Or he could just bury a bunch from range. He's actually had some decent drives, not much of a sample size to be writing him off IMO, and as they say, 'every dog has his day'. In any case, nothing mutually exclusive about him scoring a lot and fulfilling your notion of "his role" on the Team.
We will have to agree to disagree. Kopp jacking up a bunch of shots is not his role, imo. He's terrible off the dribble, terrible. The only time he should ever dribble is when he shot fakes and takes one dribble for a pull up jumper. I understand these are all simply my opinions though.

I know I wouldn't want Kopp taking tons of shots if I was the coach of this team. Unless they were all wide open shots that didn't require him to dribble. In that case, I hope he's hot.

We will have to agree to disagree. Kopp jacking up a bunch of shots is not his role, imo. He's terrible off the dribble, terrible. The only time he should ever dribble is when he shot fakes and takes one dribble for a pull up jumper. I understand these are all simply my opinions though.

I know I wouldn't want Kopp taking tons of shots if I was the coach of this team. Unless they were all wide open shots that didn't require him to dribble. In that case, I hope he's hot.
His role, much like that of everyone else on the Team, is to take what the defense gives. If that's a lot of wide open looks from the perimeter and/or defenders over-compensating while trying to recover on outlet passes and leaving open lanes to the basket, Kopp's "role" is to be opportunistic and either take the shot, drive and shoot or drive and dish. Woodson is good with and expects that - not my place nor do I choose to disagree.

We won't face any teams in our conference with coaching staffs that will allow Miller to get a bunch of open looks. Obviously he'll get some from the gravity and attention that guys like TJD and JHS will get. But no one is going to leave Miller alone when we also have guys like Trey, Race, Kaleb, Jordan, etc... on the floor.

So, in all likelihood, I'll agree with you. Miller shouldn't be jacking up a bunch of shots in any games. Having said that, I'll take open Miller Kopp looks pretty much at any time. And if there is a team stupid enough to give him a bunch of them, he needs to take all of them they give him.

His role, much like that of everyone else on the Team, is to take what the defense gives. If that's a lot of wide open looks from the perimeter and/or defenders over-compensating while trying to recover on outlet passes and leaving open lanes to the basket, Kopp's "role" is to be opportunistic and either take the shot, drive and shoot or drive and dish. Woodson is good with and expects that - not my place nor do I choose to disagree.
His role is never to drive and dish. He should almost never put the ball on the floor. Other than that, I don't agree with anything you said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT