ADVERTISEMENT

On a personal note

As of this week, I haven't smoked in a full calendar year.

Smoked for 25 years. Quit a dozen times. Don't know how I made this one finally stick.
GOT DAMN !!!! WAYYYYYY cool brother !! You keep that up, I know how damn hard it is. I am totally, honestly super happy for you. It's tough, lord how I know.

NOW, i've gotta figure out how you smoked 25 years, and just finished IU and the bar 4-5 yrs ago (as I recall)....
Besides that, A very very big congratulations man !! Don't ever look back. Dem cig's da devil , momma says.

Reactions: ribbont
No nicotine at all? No vape, no Zyn, no nothing?

Nice.
I have a vape which I use as nic replacement still. Gum, lozenges, and patches didn't work for me, so doc said the vape was acceptable, as long as it worked (i.e., no cigs) and I gradually tapered it off, just like you would with a patch or gum. Which I have done. I dropped to the lowest nicotine level, and rarely ever use it. I can go all day from waking up to getting ready for bed without even getting a craving now.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
GOT DAMN !!!! WAYYYYYY cool brother !! You keep that up, I know how damn hard it is. I am totally, honestly super happy for you. It's tough, lord how I know.

NOW, i've gotta figure out how you smoked 25 years, and just finished IU and the bar 4-5 yrs ago (as I recall)....
Besides that, A very very big congratulations man !! Don't ever look back. Dem cig's da devil , momma says.
I graduated IU in '01. That's where I started. Unlike most, I made it all through HS without smoking, then picked it up in college like an idiot. It was because I wanted to sleep with chicks who smoked, no question about it.

I have a vape which I use as nic replacement still. Gum, lozenges, and patches didn't work for me, so doc said the vape was acceptable, as long as it worked (i.e., no cigs) and I gradually tapered it off, just like you would with a patch or gum. Which I have done. I dropped to the lowest nicotine level, and rarely ever use it. I can go all day from waking up to getting ready for bed without even getting a craving now.
I quit smoking 10 years ago but I still vape. Yeah yeah, I know. I rationalize it by telling myself vaping isn’t nearly as hard on me as smoking.

I think nicotine and caffeine are two things I’ll never shake.

I graduated IU in '01. That's where I started. Unlike most, I made it all through HS without smoking, then picked it up in college like an idiot. It was because I wanted to sleep with chicks who smoked, no question about it.
Ok, but just so you know, that info was secondary to my main point of congratulations. Kicking the sig's is a big deal.
whisper I'm not ****ing kidding this time, I'm serious. As biden would say.

Passed the bar in 2019? right?

I quit smoking 10 years ago but I still vape. Yeah yeah, I know. I rationalize it by telling myself vaping isn’t nearly as hard on me as smoking.

I think nicotine and caffeine are two things I’ll never shake.
I don't know how you all can vape. One puff and I am puking my guts up. It totally triggers my sinuses I throw the damn thing away. I've spent $200 finding one that works... Nope, I'm done.

Try a pipe. Corncob.
?? ummmm Wut?

OH this is a redneck, hillbilly joke isn't it.
I hope the sun magnifies itself through your unbuilt Gazebo, and the folds of your knees are burnt. .... like bacon.
Puff Puff on your corn cob. :)

I don't know how you all can vape. One puff and I am puking my guts up. It totally triggers my sinuses I throw the damn thing away. I've spent $200 finding one that works... Nope, I'm done.
If you are a (former) smoker, the trick is to use nic salts with a high resistance coil/pod. I spent $30 on a unit with 0.8 ohms resistance, and it so adequately simulated the smoking experience that once I tried it, giving up cigs was easy. I spend another $40 on new pods/coils and juice every month or so.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
If you are a (former) smoker, the trick is to use nic salts with a high resistance coil/pod. I spent $30 on a unit with 0.8 ohms resistance, and it so adequately simulated the smoking experience that once I tried it, giving up cigs was easy. I spend another $40 on new pods/coils and juice every month or so.
Note for non-smokers: $40/month to treat a nicotine addiction is like winning the lottery. It's free money.

YOu may not recall (obviously don't) our conversation (just about a year ago now. When I was pumping you up to quit. odd the timing huh?), but I am a multiple time "non smoker".
I've tried $2 vaps and $80 vaps. They just don't work with my lungs or nasal response.
I'm happy you found something that works.
Serious !!

Reactions: BradStevens
Also I lied a little. I know why it stuck this time. Doctor told me I had X results and needed to quit. Same thing that worked for my dad. Something about a test result makes things more real.
There are all kinds of different triggers that we react to. We may not know which one works at any particular time, we just hope that one works when it's needed.
I'm still happy for you man !!

?? ummmm Wut?

OH this is a redneck, hillbilly joke isn't it.
I hope the sun magnifies itself through your unbuilt Gazebo, and the folds of your knees are burnt. .... like bacon.
Puff Puff on your corn cob. :)
No, I've actually always wanted to smoke a pipe. My dad did when I was a kid and I have fond memories of going to the pipe shop and buying him tobacco for his birthday. I've actually heard a corncob is a good, cheap entry point.

Reactions: DANC
No, I've actually always wanted to smoke a pipe. My dad did when I was a kid and I have fond memories of going to the pipe shop and buying him tobacco for his birthday. I've actually heard a corncob is a good, cheap entry point.

oh.. Then..
May I suggest keeping the fond memories if Dad and pipes in your mind, and NOT in your mouth. Just like nearly every "dream" of things you've had and how great they are. The dream is always much better than reality. Don't kill the dream bro.
Oh, Corn cob pipes are total redneck crap. NTTAWWT. Authentic Elephant tusk ivory bowl or Rosewood stump Burl with Sandalwood stem is the real shit ! (the Ivory one may be kind of hard to find now days.... :) ).

I became a professional smoker at IU in the mid 90s. it was any easy thing to do back then. it was still kinda cool, you could smoke anywhere, non-smoking women hadn't wised up yet, we were young enough to be in shape while smoking a pack a day, and the magical prizes you got with Camel Cash and Marlboro Miles. it was like Eden before the fall.

the first 3 years of smoking were so fun. but with my unusually strong self-control, it only took me 17 more years after that to quit.

I took my first ever trip to Europe a few weeks back and was stunned at the number of people that still smoke and that it's allowed at pretty much every restaurant. It was one of the few turnoffs of my trip.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

A pipe shop, huh?

Is that what you called dispensaries?

• Haha
As of this week, I haven't smoked in a full calendar year.

Smoked for 25 years. Quit a dozen times. Don't know how I made this one finally stick.
That's great. I've smoked maybe 5 cigarettes in my life and never did see the enjoyment (thankfully). From what I've heard that is a hard habit to break. It's hard to break a habit even when there's no addiction involved.... at least it is for me. I tend to snack a lot and I think a lot of that is just a habit.

No, I've actually always wanted to smoke a pipe.
At least a lot of pipe tobacco doesn't smell horrible like cigarettes and cigars. My wife and I can be walking along the streets in our neighborhood and both of us will say "Someone is smoking" because we can smell it. I looked at used cars before where I could tell it was a smoker's car.... I don't think you can ever get all that smell out.

I was talking with some friends the other day about cigs when we grew up compared to now. Like in the 70-80's how much more actual tobacco punch. Check this out. Eye opener for sure. My gawd the 50's must have whacked you.

Can't get the image to upload protected...

Tar in the 50's 36 mg
Nicotine in the 50's 2.7 mg

1970's Tar 20 mg
Nicotine 1.3 mg

1990's Tar 15 mg
Nicotine .09 mg

What a drop off

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...icotine-deliveries-1953-1993-US_fig3_11887549

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DANC
I started in college, too, but just when i drank on weekends. I smoked until about 25, then stopped. Picked it back up at 30 and again just smoked on the weekends and when I drank. Haven’t smoked since my mid 30’s. For some reason I never got hooked and could always quit cold turkey and never get urges. I can’t ever see myself getting hooked on gambling either. However, coffee is a different story. I have a hard time dealing with caffeine withdrawal and even though I feel better when I quit I always end up going back to it. To me, caffeine is more addictive than nicotine or alcohol.

Did it work? If so, how does one start smoking?
I tried to smoke in HS. Couldn't handle it. Every puff made my lungs hurt. I have no idea why or how anyone actually gets started.

My dad smoked all his life and was in good shape, except for hacking his lungs out every morning. Then he went to a hypnotist and he quit cold turkey. Became the biggest anti-smoker ever. Then gained a bunch of weight and his health was bad. I'm not sure what was worse for him.

Last edited:

My dad and uncles went through a pipe phase. I loved the smell. Always thought it was way cooler than cigs.

The whole ritual of cleaning the pipe, loading it up, and that first lighting..... very cool.

That’s a real accomplishment Goat. I was a smoker from late high school through law school. I was lucky that I was able to quit fairly easy. I dabble in the nicotine pouches mainly out of boredom.

Congratulations, GOAT, that is a huge accomplishment. Cigarette smoke has so many toxic components that cause damage.

My dad was a pipe smoker that was ordered to quit by doctors, back in the 70s. He migrated to chewing tobacco, which really isn't much better.

Question for those trying to quit, have you had experiences, good or bad, with Chantix (varenicline)? It's available in generic now. Some people complain about CNS side effects (e.g., bad dreams, suicidal thoughts) and it was unavailable for awhile as production methods were changed to not make the the same contaminant that was in Zantac (N-nitrosodimethylamine). But the clinical data was pretty impressive. It was also discovered by one of my IU chemistry lab mates, while he worked at Pfizer.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
My gawd the 50's must have whacked you.

Tar in the 50's 36 mg
Nicotine in the 50's 2.7 mg
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT