ADVERTISEMENT

OK Constitutional scholars

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
For fun, I don't think what I suggest below will happen, but I believe it shows a problem in how the 22nd Amendment was written.

Here is the 22nd Amendment, at least the important part, and I have highlighted the part of concern:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.​
Next up is the 12th Amendment, which states, "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

So, the VP must be eligible to be president. The 22nd, does NOT say that a person serving two terms cannot be president, just that they cannot be elected.

So, could Harris name Obama to be VP?

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
For fun, I don't think what I suggest below will happen, but I believe it shows a problem in how the 22nd Amendment was written.

Here is the 22nd Amendment, at least the important part, and I have highlighted the part of concern:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.​
Next up is the 12th Amendment, which states, "But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States".

So, the VP must be eligible to be president. The 22nd, does NOT say that a person serving two terms cannot be president, just that they cannot be elected.

No constitutional scholar here but that is a mess. S.Ct. Would have to decide

I would imagine that they might interpret "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President" to mean, "be elected" President. But yes, as written it seems like a crack. No chance that happens though. If you were Kamala Harris would you really want your presidency to be seen as a facade for the Real President behind the scenes? I don't think so.

I would imagine that they might interpret "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President" to mean, "be elected" President. But yes, as written it seems like a crack. No chance that happens though. If you were Kamala Harris would you really want your presidency to be seen as a facade for the Real President behind the scenes? I don't think so.
Obama is having fun. Why would he want that mess

Obama is having fun. Why would he want that mess
POWER.. Seriously if I could be appointed president tomorrow I would turn it down immediately. Arguing with a bunch of other politicians is NOT my idea of fun.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

It’s a good question. It could go either way based on the text.

I would argue that he could and that if Kamala somehow resigned or died or was incapacitated in office, Obama could serve out her term.

I don't think she would offer, I don't think he would accept. It is more of a thought exercise and a chance to suggest the 22nd isn't written very well. I suspect there are many holes elsewhere no one has bothered to think through.

Elect A.
Elect A again.
Elect B, who picks A as their VP and resigns after inauguration. Rinse and repeat.

That interpretation would allow a continuous Presidency, so my bet is "no."

Elect A.
Elect A again.
Elect B, who picks A as their VP and resigns after inauguration. Rinse and repeat.

Some justices would buy your argument. But it isn’t an originalist one focused on the text (I don’t think that’s a knock against it, though). This is the same kind of legal debate that broke out in conservative circles re the presidential immunity decision, by the way.

Elect A.
Elect A again.

I think you are correct, but if one hangs their hat on a plain text reading (I do not) the answer is yes.

Elect A.
Elect A again.

One would think that would be the correct answer but the problem is that marvin is right in that it is poorly written and leaves room for interpretation.

Can't take for granted anymore that SC will side with common sense.

I don't think she would offer, I don't think he would accept. It is more of a thought exercise and a chance to suggest the 22nd isn't written very well. I suspect there are many holes elsewhere no one has bothered to think through.
I agree with that.... after being head dog he's not gonna play second place to anyone.

Reactions: BradStevens

According to a strict reading, yes, Obama could run for VP. But scholars are divided.

I think you are correct, but if one hangs their hat on a plain text reading (I do not) the answer is yes.
Don't they hang their hats on "original intent." I realize that these amendments don't date back to the framers, but the same standard could be applied there. The intent was clearly that no one be President for more than two terms, regardless of the hole in the language. That's how I think it would be decided.

Don't they hang their hats on "original intent." I realize that these amendments don't date back to the framers, but the same standard could be applied there. The intent was clearly that no one be President for more than two terms, regardless of the hole in the language. That's how I think it would be decided.
When the 12th was passed it made it clear that the constitutional requirements for POTUS again applied to VPOTUS. We are talking age, residency, citizenship. The question is whether or not the 22nd adds a requirement based on terms already served. By a strict reading of the text, it does not, but that's clearly the intent.

Obama isn’t eligible. Period. I think the answer is obvious.

A better question would be can Obama be elected to the House and then be elected Speaker.

A better question would be can Obama be elected to the House and then be elected Speaker.

I think you are right, but as a thought exercise, make the case using "plain text reading". The plain text clearly says "elected". That is why I think it may not be a unanimous slam dunk.

That'd probably be a cleaner path than having him named Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, then assigning him to be Designated Survivor, then blowing up the Capital Bldg with the entire rest of the government in it.

Kiefer Sutherland Abc GIF by CTV

I think you are right, but as a thought exercise, make the case using "plain text reading". The plain text clearly says "elected". That is why I think it may not be a unanimous slam dunk.
There is nothing about plain text reading that requires disregarding obvious intent.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
No, most originalists look at original meaning NOT intent. In other words, what was the meaning of the words used at the time of passage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT