ADVERTISEMENT

OG…gettin paid

He's had some injury problems, but when healthy, he's a very effective player on the court. Congrats to him.
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out there are some injury related caveats in this contract. But, admittedly, I don’t know much about how that works in NBA contracts.

Reactions: stollcpa
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out there are some injury related caveats in this contract. But, admittedly, I don’t know much about how that works in NBA contracts.
If they have any sense at all there has to be injury provisions.

Happy for him. Wish the Pacers could have gotten him.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Congrats to OG. Still, I wonder how the NBA can afford these absurd salaries and make a profit. I remember Scottie Pippen being a probable top 5 player and not even making $5M a season with the Bulls.

Reactions: edub72
Congrats to OG. Still, I wonder how the NBA can afford these absurd salaries and make a profit. I remember Scottie Pippen being a probable top 5 player and not even making $5M a season with the Bulls.
Media rights went up 2.5x with the new TV deal that starts next year. Salary cap is tied to that and salaries are going a lot higher.

Media rights are 10-13x higher now than in the late 90’s.

It’s pretty wild.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Media rights went up 2.5x with the new TV deal that starts next year. Salary cap is tied to that and salaries are going a lot higher.

Media rights are 10-13x higher now than in the late 90’s.

It’s pretty wild.

Personally, I rarely watch the NBA. I did watch some of the Pacer playoff games -- which was fine. But I just haven't been all that interested in the league since the days of MJ, Bird, Isiah, Magic, Malone, etal.

But it clearly has a pretty strong audience. There's a good reason they got the TV contract they got.

Personally, I rarely watch the NBA. I did watch some of the Pacer playoff games -- which was fine. But I just haven't been all that interested in the league since the days of MJ, Bird, Isiah, Magic, Malone, etal.

But it clearly has a pretty strong audience. There's a good reason they got the TV contract they got.
I don’t watch much either. The players are technically amazing, but I don’t like the style and every arena is the same and the crowds are pretty docile and it’s just not for me. I prefer college ball (and all college sports).

Interestingly the NBA ratings keep trickling lower, but sports are the best house in a bad neighborhood when it comes to TV ratings, and they keep getting great TV deals.

The players receive a percentage of the revenue. In 1993, during the Bulls/Pippen glory years, the NBA was in the midst of a 4 year 750 million TV deal (187.5 million per year). It is estimated that the next tv contract might reach 6 BILLION per year. There is a ton of money floating around plus the value of the franchises has grown to levels not dreamed of in the ‘90’s (ie…the NBA can EASILY afford it)

Is this the most lucrative deal an IU guy has ever signed?
"Anunoby is set to make $212.5 million over five years, as first reported by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

This contract will make Anunoby the highest-paid player from Indiana University in NBA history. It's the biggest NBA contract any Hoosier has ever signed, and Anunoby will pass all former Hoosiers in career earnings and single-season earnings with an average annual value of $42.5 million."

(Mentioned that Gordon and Vic have each made over $100 million. That's enough to pay the bills).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT