ADVERTISEMENT

Official: DeBord OC/TE, Heard WR/passing game coordinator, Watson QBs coach

I think recruiting is fine, certainly plenty of room for improvement, but I think we've had comparable if not slightly better recruiting classes than Iowa/NW over the last 4 years or so, and they've been doing alright with that. What Iowa/NW have shown is that depth developed from top to bottom solid classes is much more important than a handful of elite recruits that elevate recruiting class rankings. I think the current class is in the same mold, not star-studded, but solid top to bottom.
Relative to the rest of the BiG, including NU and Iowa, recruiting lags and it needs to improve if IU is to move up. As for DeBo, we'll see how he compares to KW. His biggest challenge will be up front, where the experience and talent are thin and untested.

Why am I here? To discuss IU Football of course! Why? Because it's an IU Football forum! Isn't that what I've been posting about?

Here's a tweet about your new OC.

Another fine example from "drunk Vol fan", this is something we should care about why ? You boily fans are hilarious, seems you must be worried or you wouldn't be so focused on us.

Reactions: 10yrProject
As you can see, there are more Vols fans excited about DeBord leaving than IU fans excited about him coming. Telling????

This is some epically stupid trolling. They scored more points than they've ever scored as a program. They can hate him all they want...they put up 40 ppg and couldn't stop anyone. He wasn't the issue. Every fan base in the country whines about play calling. Troll better.

Looks like a guy looking to coast till he retires. He's old. No energy. No fire. I've seen these "closer to family" moves before and they don't turn out well for the employer. He's probably already checked out and just doing Allen a solid.
I could be mistaken but I believe he also wanted to be closer to the BUCKET.

I wouldn't call DeBo's hiring a flop, but it's far from a "can't miss" situation, either. He's replacing Kevin Wilson, so it's difficult to say we're better there.

Like UT, IU has skill at RB and WR, though not on a level of Tennessee's, but they will enter next season with at least as many question marks on the O line as they ended 2016, given the loss of a consensus AA and two other seniors with double digit starts behind them.

Cronk had a nice year, but he was also overmatched too often, and the off season is big for him. Knight must heal up and, depending on the development of some of the younger guys, find a position. And the younger guys have to show that they can play. Again, it's extremely unsettled up there, and that's before anyone gets hurt.

And then the qb play must improve. I thought Lagow got way too much criticism this year, but he's not anywhere near the threat Joshua Dobbs was for the Vols. He must improve for IU to improve.

Finally, there's recruiting, which still lags most of the BiG. Can the new guys ramp that up? We'll see.

Is Stepaniak the guy at OC? Will he be a step up from Rogers? Who's the 2nd guy on the depth chart?

And what that doesn't tell you is the reason , he wanted to be closer to family and grandkids, now he is. Nowhere does it say he is "running out of gas", you made that up in your own little mind.
What it tells recruits is, we have a very experienced guy here who has coached the likes of Tom Brady. Like I said before, best you go home and worry about the dumpster fire that is PU football.

Keep dreaming boiled up...

All that means is he's a normal human being and not some nut who spends his time trolling another teams message boards.

Go back and hang out with the appropriately named Knuckle Heads (even Tiller didn't like you screwballs [he's the one who first called you clowns "Knuckle Heads"] and pretend you actually believe you'll ever be relevant as a sports topic again (aside from one discussing how early you'll choke in the NCAA Tourney).

Uh oh..... Looks like your top TE prospect isn't sold on grandpa DeBord. Who will be next?

Rafdal let new Indiana coach Tom Allen know of his plans, but says IU remains under consideration.

“I don’t want to keep a commitment and visit other schools,” Rafdal said. “That wouldn’t be right to me.”

Seem perfectly reasonable. Good luck to him whatever he chooses.

Why am I here? To discuss IU Football of course! Why? Because it's an IU Football forum! Isn't that what I've been posting about?

Here's a tweet about your new OC.

Then maybe talk about football.
You're obsession with our new coach is kinda creepy actually.
Ok, he's a dud, you feel better now?
If only someday we could have a program with the likes of Purdue.
I know, it's a long shot but if you are going to dream you may as well dream big.

Uh oh..... Looks like your top TE prospect isn't sold on grandpa DeBord. Who will be next?

Kurt Rafdal seems like a solid young man who was raised to do what's right...

I hope he choses IU but don't fault him for taking all the official visits he's entitled to.

This is one of the biggest decisions of his young life. Gathering as much information as is avaliable to him while making it seems perfectly reasonable.

I still like our chances. How many other schools that are in his mix have a position coach (who would be "his" position coach) who is also the OC "and" has coached TE's in the NFL?

If he's looking for the best coach who is also in a "legitimate" position to showcase his talents (not just "tell" him they can) then IU is where he should be.

All the Best to him in the future wherever he ends up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC Mac
Seems like a solid young man who was raised to do what's right.

I hope he choses IU but see why he shouldn't take all the official visits he's entitled to.

This is one of the biggest decisions of his young life. I don't fault him for gathering as much information on making it as is avaliable to him.

To tell you the truth, he's one of the few guys I'd hope does well even if he made the colossal mistake of chosing pu (unless he wants to become an aeronautical engineer while staying close to home //[which is the "only" good reason for any decent football player from IN to chose pu]\\... That's because I like the fact that he's trying to do things "the right way".

All the Best to him in the future wherever he ends up.

Wow this is big.
I have never heard of a kid decommiting after a coaching change.
Whatever will we do?? Lol
The part where he says he doesn't like grandpa DeBord makes it even more troubling.
I'm sure most of IU's committed recruits are taking a step back to see how the coaching change impacts their decision and whether they should consider other options. Makes perfect sense to weigh one's options before signing a letter of intent.

This had little to nothing to do with DeBord and everything about his relationship with Coach Patton who was just let go. Something you boilies don't seem to understand, recruiting is about relationships, his was with Patton. If he chooses to go elsewhere, good luck to him, but I can't blame him when his position coach is let go. Hopefully, he will still visit and give DeBord a chance, his offense utilizes a TE far more than our old one.

Most coaches are pretty nomadic, I'd even say he's less nomadic than the average coach, the guy spent 10 of 14 years at Michigan (only interrupted by a 4 year HC job at CMU). And each of his 2 NFL jobs and 3 of his last 4 overall ended because of a head coaching change
My father was a college coach who spent lots of time in the Big Ten and various locations and I can say this, I never went to ANY school, anytime for more than three years, until I got to IU

Reactions: IUcolorado
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT