ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Boogie Fland to UK... Who's next up?

Oct 16, 2023
Welp… Looks like last minute visits from Cal, NIL deals, and maybe some shady tactics worked…Not quite sure what Calipiari can say for his offensive guard development (Devin Askew, TyTy, Cason Wallace) vs. Woodson’s, but props to Cal for somehow closing.

Got to be looking at who’s next - is DQ still thinking IU? Harper? Heard slight rumblings Flagg exploring other options? Who knows what Woodson is thinking after this…

F80X9ynWYAATEBA

Welp… Looks like last minute visits from Cal, NIL deals, and maybe some shady tactics worked…Not quite sure what Calipiari can say for his offensive guard development (Devin Askew, TyTy, Cason Wallace) vs. Woodson’s, but props to Cal for somehow closing.

Got to be looking at who’s next - is DQ still thinking IU? Harper? Heard slight rumblings Flagg exploring other options? Who knows what Woodson is thinking after this…
Based on past history it appears Woody can land a top kid who decides to decommit from another school or get a top portal transfer. This ain't over until next May or June.

Based on past history it appears Woody can land a top kid who decides to decommit from another school or get a top portal transfer. This ain't over until next May or June.
And there will be plenty of $ to spend if IU misses on Queen as well. IU can overpay to get the best portal guys if they want. Because of this, IU should always be able to "purchase" a good roster. Hopefully that translates to more wins at some point.

Reactions: kornucopia
And there will be plenty of $ to spend if IU misses on Queen as well. IU can overpay to get the best portal guys if they want. Because of this, IU should always be able to "purchase" a good roster. Hopefully that translates to more wins at some point.
I would have thought that last year but Woodson was 0fer in the portal on perimeter players.

Shady tactics lmao my god.
Seems like that's always been part of Cal's goal when recruiting in that he doesn't just want to beat you he wants to humiliate you too. It wouldn't surprise me if Boogie to UK had been a done deal for a long time and the IU interest and announcement on HH day was somehow orchestrated by Cal. A lot like Keion Brooks.

Seems like that's always been part of Cal's goal when recruiting in that he doesn't just want to beat you he wants to humiliate you too. It wouldn't surprise me if Boogie to UK had been a done deal for a long time and the IU interest and announcement on HH day was somehow orchestrated by Cal. A lot like Keion Brooks.
Fland being a done deal for a week or so wouldn't shock me but I think his announcement and HH is purely coincidental. It's actually a fairly lousy event. If anything it just signals the upcoming college basketball season is just around the corner.

Got to be looking at whose next - is DQ still thinking IU? Harper? Heard slight rumblings Flagg exploring other options? Who knows what Woodson is thinking after this…
Derrick Rose, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, Devin Booker, Jamal Murray, De’aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Tyler Herro, Immanuel Quickley, Tyrese Maxey

Cal isn’t worried about IU.

Reactions: choptalk
I agree, they can pay to put together pieces. I just don't think they are putting together a sustainable roster organically. That being said a lot of schools aren't and college basketball is a crapshoot. Purdue is building in more of an old school approach but w/out the resources to get dudes to carry them in March. The 1 and done method seems to be faltering. Putting together older transfers has some life. I am not sure what the recipe is. I guess if I am IU... finding 1 or 2 highly touted hs dudes to pair with 5 or 6 system guys who have grown up together with 1 to 2 transfers to fill missing pieces makes the most sense. Im 38, so I am not on my death bed, but it is far less enjoyable than constructing competent rosters the way it used to be. It feels like AAU ball. Id have way more satisfaction watching a Matt Nover type kid win a title than a Montverde type kid on a NIL deal. Or an SEC/Big 12 kid at a football school who wants more money and comes here. The brand of basketball and lack of depth in systems on both ends of court has really made college basketball a poor product in terms of execution. The excitement of March is still there, but part of it is because the upset factor is very real. These teams havent been in the trenches together and built themselves up to be better than the individual parts.

Yeah 2 first round picks out of those 3 you listed and that doesn’t factor in the 813 other picks he’s had.

Reactions: UKortho
Queen or bust. Portal maybe. Too late for 2024 kids

I dont think Queens a strong possibility. Regardless in baseball 0.333 ain't bad.

Besides, Woodie is know as the Portal King among some select circles.

So let's wait till then before passing any judgement. We are living in different times, with the option of the transfer portal.

I dont think Queens a strong possibility. Regardless in baseball 0.333 ain't bad.

So let's wait till then before passing any judgement. We are living in different times, with the option of the transfer portal.
Also a good chance we get a top 4star/5 star freshmen after the season. There are always kids that will change their mind, and Woody will be there to scoop them up.

Reactions: sglowrider
I agree, they can pay to put together pieces. I just don't think they are putting together a sustainable roster organically. That being said a lot of schools aren't and college basketball is a crapshoot. Purdue is building in more of an old school approach but w/out the resources to get dudes to carry them in March. The 1 and done method seems to be faltering. Putting together older transfers has some life. I am not sure what the recipe is. I guess if I am IU... finding 1 or 2 highly touted hs dudes to pair with 5 or 6 system guys who have grown up together with 1 to 2 transfers to fill missing pieces makes the most sense. Im 38, so I am not on my death bed, but it is far less enjoyable than constructing competent rosters the way it used to be. It feels like AAU ball. Id have way more satisfaction watching a Matt Nover type kid win a title than a Montverde type kid on a NIL deal. Or an SEC/Big 12 kid at a football school who wants more money and comes here. The brand of basketball and lack of depth in systems on both ends of court has really made college basketball a poor product in terms of execution. The excitement of March is still there, but part of it is because the upset factor is very real. These teams havent been in the trenches together and built themselves up to be better than the individual parts.
Yep, unfortunately. Student-athletes are more like mercenaries these days.

Yep. The whole vibe is different and not for the better, imo.
I agree with this, our early one and dones still really connected with the university and felt apart of the school even after leaving and they still return often till this day. Some of the later players don’t feel like that. Some still do like Tyrese Maxey but it’s getting worse now that they get paid out in the open.

I agree with this, our early one and dones still really connected with the university and felt apart of the school even after leaving and they still return often till this day. Some of the later players don’t feel like that. Some still do like Tyrese Maxey but it’s getting worse now that they get paid out in the open.
The UK fans at work forget who played for UK since Cal. A bunch(3-4) ask me if I think they will be good. It wasn’t like that 6-7 years ago.

finally an admission!

Yeah, I really felt like our hope with Queen was getting BF along with LM and have him thinking about rounding out a really strong and balanced class. I did hear a recruiting podcast/video (think it was a guest on Jim Coyle's show) who basically said he thinks the longer DQ's recruitment stays open, the better for the Hoosiers, just because he's seemingly been down to MD and IU for so long, that if he was sold on MD, he'd have picked them. Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth less than that!

Reactions: sglowrider
Yeah, I really felt like our hope with Queen was getting BF along with LM and have him thinking about rounding out a really strong and balanced class. I did hear a recruiting podcast/video (think it was a guest on Jim Coyle's show) who basically said he thinks the longer DQ's recruitment stays open, the better for the Hoosiers, just because he's seemingly been down to MD and IU for so long, that if he was sold on MD, he'd have picked them. Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth less than that!
Historically plausable theory. Modern version is he plays MD for the NIL with the IU threat.

Reactions: kkott
finally an admission!
Man feel the same way on our board. There are still a couple each year who feel the same way but it used to be the entire class. I’d still rather recruit talent but it’s nice when it feels like a classic player who wants to be there too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT