ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the emotional of IU's situation can be checked...

wi_hoosier

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
I would like to bring some civility back by thanking Coach Crean for all the hard work he has put in and wish him good luck. The Indiana program is clearly in a better place then it was 9 years a go.
I never thought he was a bad coach, but it became apparent that he was not up to the expectations of what "It's Indiana," really means to us.

Reactions: BB Hoosier and ORG
He should be congratulated for strong ethics, for his compassion for the kids, for enthusiasm for the job, and for his effort.

He was, however, NOT a good coach. A good man, not a good coach. A bad coach, in fact, for a major program.

It happens. No hard feelings and good luck at your next stop, where hopefully the expectations are much, much lower.

Good post. His teams do some good things offensively. And when he has the right mix of kids, they can be very hard to guard. The problem is its to easy to disrupt his offense, and for whatever reason, his teams have had a tendency late in games, and even late in seasons, to get away from the spacing, ball movement and free motion that makes his offense really good when its being run. So late in games, good coaches consistently put a bottle on IU's offense. And as the season wears on, for the most part, B10 coaches have the read on IU basketball, and we struggle to get good looks.

Defensively...I just can't offer any civility. At their best, Coach Crean teams were average. At par they were bad. And there were far too many times and seasons where they were utterly terrible.

I'll finish with a good one though. I think by and large, he's an above average talent evaluator and developer. And a decent recruiter, especially since it appears he's been squeaky clean in that area.

I think his best spot would be a high major program, that doesn't have any sort of basketball history of success. Washington comes to mind as a place I bet he'd flourish. A couple SEC schools like LSU or a Mississippi State type program. Good luck to him for sure though.

Reactions: jakincade
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT