ADVERTISEMENT

Now I’m the cool friend

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
I’ve been going to games for 55 years.
Sat through oppressive heat,extreme cold,rain and snow.
Went to games by myself when I couldn’t give away a ticket.
I’ve had numerous surgeries and health issues the past 4 years so I have not been physically able to go to many games.
But I bought tickets for Nebraska,Washington and Michigan.
I was in so much pain yesterday I was almost in tears but I don’t regret going Saturday for a minute.
I’ve been waiting for this for 55 years and if I had to crawl I was going to be there.
My Dad started taking me to games when I was 10,sure wish he was still here to see this.
Now my IU basketball buddies who have given me Hell for wasting my time and money on IU football are hitting me up.
Sorry fellas not a chance but enjoy another winter of Woody 🏀

Last edited:
I’ve had numerous surgeries and health issues the past 4 years so I have not been physically able to go to many games.
I was in so much pain yesterday I was almost in tears but I don’t regret going Saturday for a minute.
I’ve been waiting for this for 55 years and if I had to crawl I was I was going to be there.
My Dad started taking me to games when I was 10,sure wish he was still here to see this.
Now my IU basketball buddies who have given me Hell for wasting my time and money on IU football are hitting me up.
I took my dad and brother to the game this past Saturday. I am Getting older and some of my best memories of going to games as a kid. We had an absolute blast together.

On a side note, I was actually at the Rice game when Coach Cig was a coach there. Needless to say, they got an ass whooping that day.

I went to a game every year, only could make one due to my pain, and took my adult daughter and SIL. The night games were the best for me riding home 3.5 hours after the game. Now I can't get to the games but watch on TV and for the first time my wife watches and gets excited.

I went to a game every year, only could make one due to my pain, and took my adult daughter and SIL. The night games were the best for me riding home 3.5 hours after the game. Now I can't get to the games but watch on TV and for the first time my wife watches and gets excited.
That’s awesome,making a lot of new fans this year.

I’ve been waiting for this for 55 years and if I had to crawl I was going to be there.
We’ve only had season tickets for 25 years now. Your post is awesome. I can relate with a lot of your post- hopefully we’re finished getting made fun of for going to IU football games. They want to go now, get your own tix and park in BFE.

For all of you talking about waiting all this time for this kind of season, let Me throw out a couple of old jokes along this line.
An IU Fan Gets tickets for the Bucket Game at Purdue. He discovers that He has first row field level seat next to a Purdue fan. The Purdue fan has a dog sitting on His lap which seems a little strange. Purdue takes the kickoff and immediately moves to a first down. The dog runs through a small door onto the sideline and does a series of back flips ten yards down the sideline, and runs back through the door and jumps on his owner's Lap. Purdue gets a second first down, and the dog does the same thing. The IU fan then says to the Purdue fan,"That's a talented dog You have there. If Your Dog does that on first downs, what does He do when Purdue scores a Touchdown?" The Purdue fan replies, "Darned if I know, I'v only had the dog for 3 Years." Patience, Patience, Patience.

The other One is one from Yogi Berra when asked about a popular Restaurant, He said, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's way too crowded." That could be what some people say about Memorial Stadium if We keep selling out.

Been going to games since I was 7 or 8. But typically just a single game per year the past 20 years or so. Decided to buy what Cig was selling and go "all in" this year. Snagged a "suite" in the SEZ. It's been an absolute blast this year. At 66 and in relatively good health, I feel more than blessed. It actually hurts my heart to know some folks my age or older are no longer able to enjoy what's going on here.

Last edited:
There was a lady we talked to pregame that had her bosses tickets....said he usually gives her one game a year as a "thanks". She was from down near Evansville, had her two teenaged daughters, and their exchange student (girl) from Denmark, who had never been to an American football game. 😄

What a scene to stumble into for your first game, right? They were digging it. Had a blast. 👍

On a side note, I was actually at the Rice game when Coach Cig was a coach there. Needless to say, they got an ass whooping that day.
Me, too. It was a very hot day for the opener in ‘87. Pretty sure above 90 degrees. Not sure if Cig was still there in ‘88 when IU played at Rice, but was a similar beat down in Houston. 2 very good IU teams.

I attended at least a couple games every year from the early '90s on. I started with season tickets in 2007. I kept renewing until 2022. We were pretty discouraged and I didn't see us buying season tickets again. After Cig was hired, we decided to take a leap of faith.... After a couple dozen coercion attempts by the ticket office. Glad we took the leap.

I bet almost all of us have someone we wish was here to see this. I was just saying yesterday I wish my uncle was still around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT