ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing on MSU? Hard to say

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
how this one will go. I would expect the players, like students, were really shook by the shooting and I think it's different than having 1 single classmate die. My guess is if we can jump on them early they'd likely fold, but if they let MSU get a lead and get the crowd into it, I think we'll get beat. Jumping on someone early hasn't been our forte on the road. IL only game where it's happened? Hope TJD is fully healthy and some of the role guys remembered to pack their A game.

PS. I, like RMK, hate these late games midweek!

Really hard to say….the emotions surrounding the tragedy will be the biggest factor in the game, not sure if it is a negative or positive for State.

You suggested I watch the Hoosier ladies, so I watched some of the game versus Michigan. Did you catch the tee-shirts the Michigan players were wearing?

On Sunday I bumped into some folks from E Lansing, their son works with female athletes in the MSU AD. I was asking about everyone (as I have known this family my whole life), this is a really big deal for everyone. I am not going to relay a story they told me, but suffice it to say that a couple of people involved in basketball were very close to the situation at the second location.

I mentioned those tee shirts, and they mentioned vigils state wide (Ann arbor, western Michigan, etc., etc.). The whole state is mourning . I didn’t catch the MSU/@Michigan game on Saturday, but man the emotions had to be very elevated for everyone.

I suspect that with everything going on, that IU has the edge on intangibles. But who knows?

Reactions: kkott
the emotions will likely only affect the first few minutes... Then it will come down to execution and talent. We are definitely the better team, but how often has that mattered for us on the road? Very possibly a double digit loss

the emotions will likely only affect the first few minutes... Then it will come down to execution and talent. We are definitely the better team, but how often has that mattered for us on the road? Very possibly a double digit loss
Agree …. In part.

It did cross my mind that they could come out hot fueled by an emotional crowd. As long as we weather that, we would be in great shape as they would come down from that and we take over. Big emotions can lead to huge comedowns. But, it’s just too hard to say how they start.

haven't we only won in E Lansing twice in something crazy like 25 yrs? And one of those wins was that grinder game with VO/Cody against a very good MSU team in 2013?

Channelling my inner Han Solo....I've got a bad feeling about this. Prove me wrong boys...I'll gladly eat my words tomorrow.
Not sure exactly, but we won there the year we lost 12 of 13 (that was the “1” in that 1-12 stretch) . Sidebar: Makes it even more inexplicable how we could win that game, had to have been the toughest, and roll over for the other 12.

Its really impossible to tell how MSU's players will be feeling, and how they'll handle the emotions surrounding the game. So many variables at play, that its pointless to try to list them. But the overall mood, emotions and atmosphere will be a big factor tonight. No clue who that will favor though, if either team.

I think MSU getting Malik Hall back recently is probably a bigger factor. He's killed us in the past. And he really fills out their lineup well.

Tough task tonight. I won't be able to watch it live, I have one son with a wrestling meet, and one with a basketball game tonight. I'm sure it'll be a good game. I think Hall might tip the scales towards MSU in Breslin.

how this one will go. I would expect the players, like students, were really shook by the shooting and I think it's different than having 1 single classmate die. My guess is if we can jump on them early they'd likely fold, but if they let MSU get a lead and get the crowd into it, I think we'll get beat. Jumping on someone early hasn't been our forte on the road. IL only game where it's happened? Hope TJD is fully healthy and some of the role guys remembered to pack their A game.

Pretty good start @ Iowa... 24 point lead?

Exactly why I think we need to jump on them early. If we can get them down I think they'll roll over and not have the energy to come back, but if they stay close, the crowd will probably get in to it and it will be a struggle.

Really hard to say….the emotions surrounding the tragedy will be the biggest factor in the game, not sure if it is a negative or positive for State.

You suggested I watch the Hoosier ladies, so I watched some of the game versus Michigan. Did you catch the tee-shirts the Michigan players were wearing?

On Sunday I bumped into some folks from E Lansing, their son works with female athletes in the MSU AD. I was asking about everyone (as I have known this family my whole life), this is a really big deal for everyone. I am not going to relay a story they told me, but suffice it to say that a couple of people involved in basketball were very close to the situation at the second location.

I mentioned those tee shirts, and they mentioned vigils state wide (Ann arbor, western Michigan, etc., etc.). The whole state is mourning . I didn’t catch the MSU/@Michigan game on Saturday, but man the emotions had to be very elevated for everyone.

I suspect that with everything going on, that IU has the edge on intangibles. But who knows?
Did not notice the UM t shirts. What did they say?

MSU looked pretty sharp at MI and led the whole game before folding at the end. Their backcourt is quick, likes to drive, and Malik Hall makes them a much better team than the one that lost at AH.

As far as the emotions, venture that MSU isn't playing against IU so much this evening as they are for MSU. First 5-10 minutes could be very telling as I expect MSU to come out playing like demons.

They had giant hearts with the Spartan logo

Oh, think I did see those. I thought it was something derogatory towards IU. I think overall women's programs feel like they are still working on building their brands as women's bball and they better support each other. Although, that was such a huge thing, I'm guessing UM had a moment of silence and tshirts or something also supporting MSU when they played Saturday.

Oh, think I did see those. I thought it was something derogatory towards IU. I think overall women's programs feel like they are still working on building their brands as women's bball and they better support each other. Although, that was such a huge thing, I'm guessing UM had a moment of silence and tshirts or something also supporting MSU when they played Saturday.
They dimmed the lights to green while the MI band played the MSU alma mater. Refreshing and good to see the fans behave like humans toward one another and remember what's really important.

Dating back to 2003, IU has been to East Lansing 16 times. IU's record is 2-14 with one win in 2013 (season sweep of Sparty) and again in the infamous 2019 season where after losing 7 straight, IU shocks Sparty and ends the losing streak. Then goes on to lose 5 more league games after the Sparty win to go 1-12 in that 13 game stretch. So, not a lot of success up there in the past 20 years. We are 2-6 in our last 8 with most recent win being 2019 with a chance to improve to 3-6. and get another season sweep, just as we did in 2013.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
Dating back to 2003, IU has been to East Lansing 16 times. IU's record is 2-14 with one win in 2013 (season sweep of Sparty) and again in the infamous 2019 season where after losing 7 straight, IU shocks Sparty and ends the losing streak. Then goes on to lose 5 more league games after the Sparty win to go 1-12 in that 13 game stretch. So, not a lot of success up there in the past 20 years. We are 2-6 in our last 8 with most recent win being 2019 with a chance to improve to 3-6. and get another season sweep, just as we did in 2013.
Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be a belt whipping, but we can hope. They are at home and they need it, so that doesn't spell promising in my mind, plus we've just barely escaped in wins lately, could be bad

Just went back and looked at last year's game. We were down only 3, under 10 minutes left. It was one of many games we folded down the stretch. This year's team, for the most part, has bucked that trend. I'd say we're better than we were last year, and MSU is par versus last year now that they have Hall back.

If we play with our own energy, and execute getting the ball to TJD in various ways, I think we'll be competitive in this game. As you point out, winning at Breslin is never easy though. 2003-2021 isn't exactly an IU Renaissance period, but we did have some really good teams sporadically during those years that lost in East Lansing.

Tonight is a very difficult task. Hope we handle it well!

Its really impossible to tell how MSU's players will be feeling, and how they'll handle the emotions surrounding the game. So many variables at play, that its pointless to try to list them. But the overall mood, emotions and atmosphere will be a big factor tonight. No clue who that will favor though, if either team.

I think MSU getting Malik Hall back recently is probably a bigger factor. He's killed us in the past. And he really fills out their lineup well.

Tough task tonight. I won't be able to watch it live, I have one son with a wrestling meet, and one with a basketball game tonight. I'm sure it'll be a good game. I think Hall might tip the scales towards MSU in Breslin.
send both of your kids to northwestern they can combine wrestling and basketball, so you don't have to be 2 places at once.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be a belt whipping, but we can hope. They are at home and they need it, so that doesn't spell promising in my mind, plus we've just barely escaped in wins lately, could be bad
I agree and don't see us winning or it even being that competitive. MSU will carry the emotion to a big W as Izzo has them ready and motivated. I can see them up by 10 plus points by halftime and never look back. Of course, it will help them that TJD gets no help as we won't be able to throw it in the ocean from a boat.

I agree and don't see us winning or it even being that competitive. MSU will carry the emotion to a big W as Izzo has them ready and motivated. I can see them up by 10 plus points by halftime and never look back. Of course, it will help them that TJD gets no help as we won't be able to throw it in the ocean from a boat.
I could easily see them up double digits at halftime. I wouldn't count this IU group out though at that point. Maintaining high energy and emotion isn't easy. And we've been pretty good closing gaps, and playing better later in games.

Reactions: .Gerdis
MSU isn't good enough to give us a belt whipping. They don't score well and not as big as past teams. At this stage of the season, everybody needs a win, including us. I imagine it will be a close game. I like our chances.

MSU isn't good enough to give us a belt whipping. They don't score well and not as big as past teams. At this stage of the season, everybody needs a win, including us. I imagine it will be a close game. I like our chances.
They will try to make it a street fight. How the game is officiated and then adjusting will be the biggest key. If they had PAC 12 officials IU would win by 10+.

there have been about 70 mass shootings since the start of the year, gun violence was probably an everyday occurrence in some of the players lives growing up. It's sad what happened at MSU but it is a non-factor in tonight's game.

They will try to make it a street fight. How the game is officiated and then adjusting will be the biggest key. If they had PAC 12 officials IU would win by 10+.
The Big Ten isn't any more physical than the PAC 12 or any other power conference. If they elect to make it a street fight, I don't expect MSU to have an advantage.

You're omitting the biggest factor when we play MSU, especially at MSU.....toughness. I think a double-digit loss is more likely than a close win.

there have been about 70 mass shootings since the start of the year, gun violence was probably an everyday occurrence in some of the players lives growing up. It's sad what happened at MSU but it is a non-factor in tonight's game.
... says someone who's never had to talk their kid through a mass shooting on their campus. Doesn't matter how many there are, it's different when it hits your campus or company. My daughter was on campus at UNCC when they had a shooting and it took her a few weeks to feel back to normal.

This being their first home game, it will have an impact; I'm just not sure which way. I think if we can get an early lead and not give them hope, their fans and the players will fade and we can win easily. The longer they are in the game, the more I think the odds will swing to their advantage.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava

Jumped on Iowa early, that did'nt work so good!

MSU looked pretty sharp at MI and led the whole game before folding at the end. Their backcourt is quick, likes to drive, and Malik Hall makes them a much better team than the one that lost at AH.

As far as the emotions, venture that MSU isn't playing against IU so much this evening as they are for MSU. First 5-10 minutes could be very telling as I expect MSU to come out playing like demons.
… for MSU … with nothing to lose. If MSU plays smartly, with purpose, they’ll lead at halftime: The question will be by how much. I think CMW reminds IU to play smartly, with purpose, to avoid an NW sized hole. Emotional maturity will win this game.

... says someone who's never had to talk their kid through a mass shooting on their campus. Doesn't matter how many there are, it's different when it hits your campus or company. My daughter was on campus at UNCC when they had a shooting and it took her a few weeks to feel back to normal.

This being their first home game, it will have an impact; I'm just not sure which way. I think if we can get an early lead and not give them hope, their fans and the players will fade and we can win easily. The longer they are in the game, the more I think the odds will swing to their advantage.
sorry to hear that, but she probably grew up in a different environment. you think Keith Appling or Adrian Payne would be affected by something like this the same as your daughter would.

sorry to hear that, but she probably grew up in a different environment. you think Keith Appling or Adrian Payne would be affected by something like this the same as your daughter would.
fair point, but not safe to assume their team is all KA's and APs. I guarantee you some of those kids are going to be bothered by it and someone on here said they'd talked with someone who knew the team was very upset.

I think you're wrong about them fading if we jump on them. I think every coach in the BT has his halftime "these guys will fall apart" speech in his back pocket in the event we get off to a fast start. They might even pull it out with about 7 minutes to go in the first half if we get a big lead.

If we as fans expect it, how could other players and coaches not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT