ADVERTISEMENT

Not good today. One week prep and this…

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
One week of prep and this is what the guys have to show for it today?!? No energy, slow, and laziness got us into foul trouble. Poor shooting and an inability to defend the post allowed this to turn into a route. Two home blow outs in two weeks. Just garbage. Back to the NCAA bubble.

This one starts and ends with #23. I realize Kofi is WAY better, but he takes himself off the floor fouling a jump shooter?

What are the chances Trayce can log some minutes in a big game in his career?

One week of prep and this is what the guys have to show for it today?!? No energy, slow, and laziness got us into foul trouble. Poor shooting and an inability to defend the post allowed this to turn into a route. Two home blow outs in two weeks. Just garbage. Back to the NCAA bubble.
I think they tried but early foul trouble hurt us. Durr played well. Their guards are very good. Cockburn in the middle is a real monster. He will do well in the NBA. Hold your heads high and get ready for the next game.

Maybe TJD needs to stick around another year to develop some kind of game outside of 3 Feet this summer. Doesn’t need to shoot 3’s, but some kind of mid-range game to pull bigs away from the lane by being able knock down some 10-15 footers. Will give him and his teammates more room to operate on The floor. Kofi barely left the paint today. Didn’t need to.

I said it earlier this week. Rarely does a week of not playing help unless you can get people back from injuries. We didn’t get Rob back and TJD was completely outplayed on both ends of the court. Preparation (good or bad) had nothing to do with this loss.

Reactions: bawlmer
FK2xm-HWUAQnoqW

This is the same illinois team northwestern almost just beat. They were really no excuse for losing by 17.

Reactions: BigMobe
I said it earlier this week. Rarely does a week of not playing help unless you can get people back from injuries. We didn’t get Rob back and TJD was completely outplayed on both ends of the court. Preparation (good or bad) had nothing to do with this loss.
You should know before you say it again... Knight was known for his success against ANY team when given a week to prepare. That's why you hear people on here saying it. It used to be a big advantage for IU. Especially at home! That being said, I agree with you. IU got beat by a team that had more talent that played harder on both ends of the court.

You should know before you say it again... Knight was known for his success against ANY team when given a week to prepare. That's why you hear people on here saying it. It used to be a big advantage for IU. Especially at home! That being said, I agree with you. IU got beat by a team that had more talent that played harder on both ends of the court.
I lived through most of the Knight years. I would be interested to see how many games had an open week before them during those years. I can’t imagine it was more than 1 or 2.

Having preparation is one thing. I just don’t think coaches need more than a few days. Not playing for a week is generally bad in my experience.

Maybe I am wrong historically. I am too lazy to go dig up the records after having a week off.

Pick n Roll is a good thing with X to TJD or Race, but when the lane is clogged throughout, some Pick n Pop would make the opponent come out and guard. When looking to the future, need to find some bigs who can run it/shoot it.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Dickinson mastered this over the summer.
Agree. This truly is the biggest let down from TJD. Overall he is still a great college player but his inability to add to his shooting range hurts us greatly in games like today.

He has really hurt himself the most though. With his incredible athleticism, if he could hit the 3 at a 35% clip he would probably be a lottery pick.

Brad Underwood took control of the officiating when he and his bench exploded halfway through the first half. It changed how the refs were calling the game, and it took all the rhythm out of the game. I’m disappointed that we, coaches and players, passively accepted the outcome. It felt like a home game for Illinois.

I watched the Illinos / Wisconsin game Wednesday night so this loss didn't really surprise me. Cockburn manhandled (37pts) the Wisconsin bigs like they were high schooler players. No way is TJD going to match up with Kofi, he is a man against boys. Add to that IL has outstanding guards that not only can shoot the ball but also can play the D.

JMO, but the 6 days between the Maryland game & today's game actually hurt IU more than it helped. I felt after the Maryland game the team had emotion on their side only to lose it with the layoff. Was going to take everyone playing their best to win this game & that didn't happen.

To add : there's 2 teams I root for, IU & whomever plays Illinois, so this one hurts.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosehen and Beorik
I lived through most of the Knight years. I would be interested to see how many games had an open week before them during those years. I can’t imagine it was more than 1 or 2.
I thought it would be interesting too. I looked at how Knight's teams performed with 6+ days to prepare against ranked teams at home. At Texas Tech, Knight was 2-2, and at IU Knight was 11-6.

2006-2007
W Kansas #5

2002-2003
L Oklahoma State #13
L Texas #5

2001-2002
W Oklahoma #6

1999-2000
L Ohio State #7

1998-1999
L Michigan State #11

1995-1996
W Michigan #16
L Purdue #7

1994-1995
W Kansas #3

1993-1994
W Purdue #9

1992-1993
W Cincinnati #19

1988-1989
W Ohio State #14
W Michigan #13

1987-1988
L Michigan #7

1985-1986
W Purdue #15

1984-1985
L Louisville #17
L Illinois #16

1982-1983
W Ohio State #16

1978-1979
W Kentucky #6

1973-1974
W South Carolina #15

1972-1973
W Minnesota #6

I thought it would be interesting too. I looked at how Knight's teams performed with 6+ days to prepare against ranked teams at home. At Texas Tech, Knight was 2-2, and at IU Knight was 11-6.

2006-2007
W Kansas #5

2002-2003
L Oklahoma State #13
L Texas #5

2001-2002
W Oklahoma #6

1999-2000
L Ohio State #7

1998-1999
L Michigan State #11

1995-1996
W Michigan #16
L Purdue #7

1994-1995
W Kansas #3

1993-1994
W Purdue #9

1992-1993
W Cincinnati #19

1988-1989
W Ohio State #14
W Michigan #13

1987-1988
L Michigan #7

1985-1986
W Purdue #15

1984-1985
L Louisville #17
L Illinois #16

1982-1983
W Ohio State #16

1978-1979
W Kentucky #6

1973-1974
W South Carolina #15

1972-1973
W Minnesota #6
Haha you are much less lazy than I am. Is that actually worse than his overall win %? Hmmm.

2006-2007
W Kansas #5

2002-2003
L Oklahoma State #13
L Texas #5

2001-2002
W Oklahoma #6

1999-2000
L Ohio State #7

1998-1999
L Michigan State #11

1995-1996
W Michigan #16
L Purdue #7

1994-1995
W Kansas #3

1993-1994
W Purdue #9

1992-1993
W Cincinnati #19

1988-1989
W Ohio State #14
W Michigan #13

1987-1988
L Michigan #7

1985-1986
W Purdue #15

1984-1985
L Louisville #17
L Illinois #16

1982-1983
W Ohio State #16

1978-1979
W Kentucky #6

1973-1974
W South Carolina #15

1972-1973
W Minnesota #6

It's really great that you went and got some data. Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: Pryght and Cavanagh
Maybe TJD needs to stick around another year to develop some kind of game outside of 3 Feet this summer. Doesn’t need to shoot 3’s, but some kind of mid-range game to pull bigs away from the lane by being able knock down some 10-15 footers. Will give him and his teammates more room to operate on The floor. Kofi barely left the paint today. Didn’t need to.
That is almost exactly the thought I had. He won't survive in the NBA If all He can do is receive the ball in the lane or 8 foot in and dribble in with his left hand. He needs to be enough of a threat from 10- feet to shoot a jumper to draw a big man away from the Basket. In both the Purdue Game and today when He He missed extensive time in the first half our Offense actually played better without Him. The Ball moved, Players moved' and the Defense was forced to defend the floor. When He is in it looks like the Offense feels that their job is done, once the ball has been passed inside to TJD and they become non paying Spectators.

That is almost exactly the thought I had. He won't survive in the NBA If all He can do is receive the ball in the lane or 8 foot in and dribble in with his left hand. He needs to be enough of a threat from 10- feet to shoot a jumper to draw a big man away from the Basket. In both the Purdue Game and today when He He missed extensive time in the first half our Offense actually played better without Him. The Ball moved, Players moved' and the Defense was forced to defend the floor. When He is in it looks like the Offense feels that their job is done, once the ball has been passed inside to TJD and they become non paying Spectators.
In the NBA He would need to defend players like Cockburn who are gonna be bigger than him. Today he didn't show he can do that.

2006-2007
W Kansas #5

2002-2003
L Oklahoma State #13
L Texas #5

2001-2002
W Oklahoma #6

1999-2000
L Ohio State #7

1998-1999
L Michigan State #11

1995-1996
W Michigan #16
L Purdue #7

1994-1995
W Kansas #3

1993-1994
W Purdue #9

1992-1993
W Cincinnati #19

1988-1989
W Ohio State #14
W Michigan #13

1987-1988
L Michigan #7

1985-1986
W Purdue #15

1984-1985
L Louisville #17
L Illinois #16

1982-1983
W Ohio State #16

1978-1979
W Kentucky #6

1973-1974
W South Carolina #15

1972-1973
W Minnesota #6
Good info, Pryght. Looks like Beorik is right about the longer layoff not necessarily being an advantage for IU. I guess that's one narrative on Knight I will dismiss from now on.
Go Hoosiers.

Reactions: Pryght
Pick n Roll is a good thing with X to TJD or Race, but when the lane is clogged throughout, some Pick n Pop would make the opponent come out and guard. When looking to the future, need to find some bigs who can run it/shoot it.
Race looks skilled enough for pick and pop, to me.

Trayce is not an NBA 5. As a low post player he looks more like Mark Aguirre or before Mark, Adrian Dantley.
I think he has the quickness to emulate that style. The three 7’ centers Trace has faced this year will all play in the NBA (yes even the sophomore from Michigan).

Trayce is about the size of Karl Malone, who had the killer roll moves. IU doesn’t have a guard with the sensibilities and finesse of John Stockton to make that happen. I haven’t seen many passes to the roll. We seem to want to shoot the jumper. We’ll get better at pick and roll.

What happened to the days where we could admit that we just got beat by a much better team with better talent across the board?
Not a single guy on the IU team would start for this Illinois team.
It just is what it is right now.. There is a reason they are ranked and we aren’t.
The script today was very familiar. Trace struggling against more physical guys. Guys like Kopp and Stewart are MIA (they are said to be great shooters). Woody will get some better talent in a couple years and we won’t see these disappearing acts every other game.

TJD had the whole past 3 years to develope a midrange shot. They leave him all alone at the top of the key and he can't take a couple quick dribbles and try to pop a simple 15 footer.
Multiple times he just stood 3 feet inside the arc with nobody near him looking for a person to pass the ball to. Shoot that MFr. If he can’t/won’t take that shot, he should be benched. Force him to take it.

What happened to the days where we could admit that we just got beat by a much better team with better talent across the board?
It just is what it is right now.. There is a reason they are ranked and we aren’t.
The script today was very familiar. Trace struggling against more physical guys. Guys like Kopp and Stewart are MIA (they are said to be great shooters). Woody will get some better talent in a couple years and we won’t see these disappearing acts every other game.
This is 100% correct. We just gotta hope Woody lands players who can get it done.

Because Illinois is beatable we just caved. Northwesteren darn near beat them a week ago. It inst that we lost it is the margin and how we lost at home by getting run right out of our own building. If Illinois is so darn dominate and so much better how did Northwestern only lose by three?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT