ADVERTISEMENT

Noodle's Ala Carte - coming to a TV near you

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
This year's ice hockey competition at the Winter Olympics, at least on the men's side, was rather boring. I mean seriously, some team called OAR played Gemany (Germany!) in the men's final. Oh sure, the women's final was exciting. But they don't even allow body checking in the women's game (technically, that is indeed true--but after watching the women's final, I guess I don't quite understand what is considered "body checking" given some of the hits I saw).

But, now that the preliminaries (aka the Winter Olympics) are over, it's time to get ready for the 2018 Paralympic Winter Games. And there is nothing better than Para Ice Hockey, aka Sled Hockey (Sledge Hockey for you Canucks). Don't believe it's every bit as exciting as "regular" hockey? Check out the highlights below from the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games. Look for the U.S. and Canada to square off in the gold medal game on March 15th. That game will be brutal.

To begin with, your lead-in glorifies the violence of ice hockey as what makes it exciting. Okay, so I watch the video and it's in slow motion to somehow heighten the drama of the "violent" checks, which nudges more resembled Lucy's Crabbie Cabbies at Planet Snoopy. (Understandably so, since balancing on and maneuvering those hockey sleds at speed must be hard as hell.)

Don't get me wrong, Noodle, I'm in awe of the courage and skill of the athletes in the video. Let's just say what excites me has more to do with puck control than brain damage and a skill demonstration video is what I would have chosen. :rolleyes: No doubt they're on Youtube as well.

Edit: For example:

This year's ice hockey competition at the Winter Olympics, at least on the men's side, was rather boring. I mean seriously, some team called OAR played Gemany (Germany!) in the men's final. Oh sure, the women's final was exciting. But they don't even allow body checking in the women's game (technically, that is indeed true--but after watching the women's final, I guess I don't quite understand what is considered "body checking" given some of the hits I saw).

But, now that the preliminaries (aka the Winter Olympics) are over, it's time to get ready for the 2018 Paralympic Winter Games. And there is nothing better than Para Ice Hockey, aka Sled Hockey (Sledge Hockey for you Canucks). Don't believe it's every bit as exciting as "regular" hockey? Check out the highlights below from the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games. Look for the U.S. and Canada to square off in the gold medal game on March 15th. That game will be brutal.

Without NHL players, it was bound to be a huge flop. I can get behind that type of physicality!

This may sound insensitive (not meant to be), but is there any physical advantage or disadvantage to having zero, one or two legs from a balance standpoint? I get that neither is functional, but I was just curious if it was advantageous either way or impacted speed, balance, etc.?

Without NHL players, it was bound to be a huge flop. I can get behind that type of physicality!

This may sound insensitive (not meant to be), but is there any physical advantage or disadvantage to having zero, one or two legs from a balance standpoint? I get that neither is functional, but I was just curious if it was advantageous either way or impacted speed, balance, etc.?
I don't think that's an insensitive question at all. From a speed standpoint, I don't think there's any question that less is more. I've helped some double amputees onto the ice in their sled and the weight difference is significant.

As for balance, I'm not sure. I have to believe that balance is at least a little more difficult for a single amputee. On other hand, I have seen novices strap on a sled and do pretty well from the get go. Keep in mind that there are a pair of skate blades on the bottom of the sled (under your butt). The better skaters move them to about an inch apart (for speed), while beginners have them at 4 inches apart (but they will still fall over). A few weeks ago I watched some professional hockey players (minor league) give it a go, and they did pretty well. Apparently I will have my turn in a sled in a few weeks at an end-of-season party. I'll let you know how it goes. And for iuwclurker: I will be wearing a helmet.

To begin with, your lead-in glorifies the violence of ice hockey as what makes it exciting. Okay, so I watch the video and it's in slow motion to somehow heighten the drama of the "violent" checks, which nudges more resembled Lucy's Crabbie Cabbies at Planet Snoopy. (Understandably so, since balancing on and maneuvering those hockey sleds at speed must be hard as hell.)

Don't get me wrong, Noodle, I'm in awe of the courage and skill of the athletes in the video. Let's just say what excites me has more to do with puck control than brain damage and a skill demonstration video is what I would have chosen. :rolleyes: No doubt they're on Youtube as well.

Edit: For example:

I was merely appealing to the masses with my original post rather than the hockey purists. ;)

Supposedly one of the Canadians has an 80 mph slapshot - that's using one hand, a 2 foot stick, from a seated position.

As for concussions, at least with sled hockey you're head has a lot shorter distance to the ice. Also, head-to-head contact in sled hockey is less common than in regular hockey since you really can't lead with your head. Internal injuries and broken ankles, on the other hand, are more common due to impact from a metal sled traveling at 20+ mph.

Still, it's very disheartening that the NHL is still ignoring science when it comes to CTE and head impacts. While their problem is likely a little less severe than in the NFL, that's no excuse for the NHL's attitude on the subject. Thanks for sharing those articles.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't think that's an insensitive question at all. From a speed standpoint, I don't think there's any question that less is more. I've helped some double amputees onto the ice in their sled and the weight difference is significant.

As for balance, I'm not sure. I have to believe that balance is at least a little more difficult for a single amputee. On other hand, I have seen novices strap on a sled and do pretty well from the get go. Keep in mind that there are a pair of skate blades on the bottom of the sled (under your butt). The better skaters move them to about an inch apart (for speed), while beginners have them at 4 inches apart (but they will still fall over). A few weeks ago I watched some professional hockey players (minor league) give it a go, and they did pretty well. Apparently I will have my turn in a sled in a few weeks at an end-of-season party. I'll let you know how it goes. And for iuwclurker: I will be wearing a helmet.

We might need a video of you giving it a try!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT