ADVERTISEMENT

No Starting QB Named Yet says SI

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ound-indiana-football-now-its-time-to-produce

I think Rourke is in the catbird seat … this staff has a habit of coaching talent up to all conference performers.

“I thought he had a really good spring, a great summer,” Cignetti said. “I sleep better at night knowing I've got a guy like that that's played that many games.”

“I’ve never seen the value of really naming a starter,” Cignetti said Thursday at Big Ten Media Days. “Our first year in the Sun Belt, Todd Centeio came from Colorado State and we trotted him out for the first start of the first game and never named a starter.”

Cignetti promoted competition within that group during the spring and summer months, and that’s not changing.

“I feel really good about Kurtis Rourke,” Cignetti said. “I think Tayven Jackson has improved but needs to keep improving in terms of his preparation and processing and playing quarterback at a high level. I’m talking about the mental part of it and decision making, but he’s made some significant progress. And we’ve got two young guys that we like. So I want to promote competition at every position.”

Rourke joins the Hoosiers with 33 career starts under his belt. He earned All-MAC second-team honors in 2023, completing 195-of-307 passes (63.5%) for 2,207 yards, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions in 11 games. The previous season was his best statistically, as he threw for 3,256 yards, 25 touchdowns and just four interceptions.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ound-indiana-football-now-its-time-to-produce

I think Rourke is in the catbird seat … this staff has a habit of coaching talent up to all conference performers.

“I thought he had a really good spring, a great summer,” Cignetti said. “I sleep better at night knowing I've got a guy like that that's played that many games.”

“I’ve never seen the value of really naming a starter,” Cignetti said Thursday at Big Ten Media Days. “Our first year in the Sun Belt, Todd Centeio came from Colorado State and we trotted him out for the first start of the first game and never named a starter.”

Cignetti promoted competition within that group during the spring and summer months, and that’s not changing.

“I feel really good about Kurtis Rourke,” Cignetti said. “I think Tayven Jackson has improved but needs to keep improving in terms of his preparation and processing and playing quarterback at a high level. I’m talking about the mental part of it and decision making, but he’s made some significant progress. And we’ve got two young guys that we like. So I want to promote competition at every position.”

Rourke joins the Hoosiers with 33 career starts under his belt. He earned All-MAC second-team honors in 2023, completing 195-of-307 passes (63.5%) for 2,207 yards, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions in 11 games. The previous season was his best statistically, as he threw for 3,256 yards, 25 touchdowns and just four interceptions.
It is easy to accept not having a QB named as a starter because this staff has proven they pick the best QB as they develop. I am sure our QB will be one of the best in the conference.

I didn't have issue with not naming a starter prior to the season. Wasn't a big fan of using half the season to make the decision.
I think this is the best comment.

I agree with Kraft that a lot of people trash talked CTA like he was goofy for not naming a starter before opening day (I also had/have no problem with it) and it’s a double standard to think it’s a great idea now.

But CTA definitely didn’t always pick the right guy. And I’m going all the way back to Lagow v Ramsey. And when he landed on the right guy it was rarely early in the season.

CCC’s rationale may be different than CTA’s.

Tom said he didn’t name a starter because he didn’t want to give anything away to the opponent.

That may be Cig’s angle too, but he seems to have other reasons. In the past he has said he believes this approach helps reduce distractions for the starter. Cig also signaled his preferred QB pretty clearly, which isn’t something he would do if he wanted to keep a secret.

I don’t think it matters if he names and starter or not, obviously wins and losses are all the matters, but there seems to be a difference in thinking here.

CCC’s rationale may be different than CTA’s.

Tom said he didn’t name a starter because he didn’t want to give anything away to the opponent.

That may be Cig’s angle too, but he seems to have other reasons. In the past he has said he believes this approach helps reduce distractions for the starter. Cig also signaled his preferred QB pretty clearly, which isn’t something he would do if he wanted to keep a secret.

I don’t think it matters if he names and starter or not, obviously wins and losses are all the matters, but there seems to be a difference in thinking here.
Fair point.

It's CLEARLY Rourke he's picking though. Just like it was clearly Penix & Jackson that Allen was picking.

And I'm just saying that from how he talks about them. I thought Tayven outplayed Rourke in the Spring game for most of it.

Does anyone think it might actually be Tayven?

Fair point.

It's CLEARLY Rourke he's picking though. Just like it was clearly Penix & Jackson that Allen was picking.

And I'm just saying that from how he talks about them. I thought Tayven outplayed Rourke in the Spring game for most of it.

Remember, in the spring game it was 1's against 1's and 2's against 2's. Tayven was against the #2 defence.
He played well but it was against the 2's.
GoHoosiers

Fair point.

CCC 2 seemed to blame it on lack of depth on defense (i.e.. 2nd unit wasn't very good). and thus accounted for Jackson looking better for spring game.

I would be shocked if Rourke isn't the starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT