ADVERTISEMENT

No obvious solution for this mess!

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
"Tom Allen has proven himself not only to be the right person for our student-athletes and our program, but one of the best football coaches in the country. The enthusiasm and outlook for our program is at an all-time high, and the future of Indiana football is in great hands. I look forward to Tom leading our program for many years to come."

This was the statement released by our athletic director, Scott Dolson, when coach Allen's contract was extended to 2027.

With the benefit of hindsight the pitfalls of hiring a head football coach with no head coach experience is glaringly obvious. More specifically, pouring all of a budget into a head coach that has zero experience on the other side of the ball is a recipe for disaster. Indiana did that with Kevin Wilson and then turned around and did it again with Tom Allen.

So here we are at the end of the 2023 season with a first-tme athletic director who knows virtually nothing about football and a first-time head football coach who now has 6+ years of experience but still knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball.

And now the fans have to pay player salaries! Suppose the Hoosiers come up with 20 million for Tom Allen. And then what? The only thing that is really clear right now is that both Tom and Scott are over their heads.

The program will only get better with better players and better coaching (recruiting, developing, game planning). Does the AD think that 2024 will be a turnaround or is he stuck because of a bad business deal? If IU is stuck with Allen in 2024, I’d vote for a new AD with proven football success who can either turnaround this mess (not likely) or use the year to evaluate the program and make a wise hire for the 2025 season (more likely). It has to be for 2024, Allen or the AD, but please not more of the same.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Dolson sticking with Allen means he either thinks it can be turned around or he knows he’s delaying the inevitable. Either way, and IU has a much bigger problem than the head football coach.

How do you know that Dolson is sticking with Allen?

"The enthusiasm and outlook for our program is at an all-time high,"
It still is. I saw Coach Allen almost dancing a jig after the win over Akron.

I like the enthusiasm and the unflagging support for the young men. Too bad coach isn't that bright on the football part.

Reactions: bang63
I wish I knew if, when Dolson spoke about the incoming money from the new TV deal as being “already spent,” he was talking about the deal’s first year only, or the deal’s entire duration? That’s a pretty significant distinction.

I wish I knew if, when Dolson spoke about the incoming money from the new TV deal as being “already spent,” he was talking about the deal’s first year only, or the deal’s entire duration? That’s a pretty significant distinction.
IF he was speaking about the entire duration, fire his ass tonight!! That is lousy money management!

"The enthusiasm and outlook for our program is at an all-time high,"
It still is. I saw Coach Allen almost dancing a jig after the win over Akron.

I like the enthusiasm and the unflagging support for the young men. Too bad coach isn't that bright on the football part.
I think enthusiasm means 50,000 people in the stadium. Also wasn't the total gate for the Louisville game less than 25,000 and it was split with the Cardinals?

Last edited:
Dolson is too busy right now in his basketball-induced coma. Watching Woody’s team puts many in critical care.
We follow up yesterday’s debacle with this garbage tonight is sickening. Scotty Basketball is behind the bench and looks like somebody jammed a red-hot poker up his ass.

Dolson sticking with Allen means he either thinks it can be turned around or he knows he’s delaying the inevitable. Either way, and IU has a much bigger problem than the head football coach.
I agree. I wonder how hot Dolson’s seat is due to Allan’s poor performance.?

IIRC she did come to IU from a school with a pretty successful football program. Granted, it was FCS level (now G5 I think) but still…

She was a provost at U. Georgia and a semi finalist for chancellor at UT in Knoxville. She was a dean at Michigan State. She was President at Kennesaw State prior to coming to IU. She’s been at IU for the last 3 football seasons so she is probably getting tired of this shit like everyone else.

She was a provost at U. Georgia and a semi finalist for chancellor at UT in Knoxville. She was a dean at Michigan State. She was President at Kennesaw State prior to coming to IU. She’s been at IU for the last 3 football seasons so she is probably getting tired of this shit like everyone else.
Kennesaw is the program I’m referring to-IIRC they even had some “double-digit wins” seasons and decent playoff runs back when they were still in the FCS.

I have never had a job similar to hers, but my guess is the football W L record is not on her radar. Likely someone on the BOT would need to bring it as an agenda item to become discussed. I am guessing of course.

I have never had a job similar to hers, but my guess is the football W L record is not on her radar. Likely someone on the BOT would need to bring it as an agenda item to become discussed. I am guessing of course.
I think you’d be surprised if you think the performance of the football program isn’t on her radar.

I think you’d be surprised if you think the performance of the football program isn’t on her radar.
Myles Brand's legacy is that he was the guy that fired Bobby Knight. I imagine all of the presidents keep a close eye on the money maker sports programs so that their own jobs aren't in jeopardy.

She’s not McRobbie.
As a university president, she knows the power that good sports programs bring to the school. She’s in the business of promoting this school. She knows thatthe school and athletics are not mutually exclusive.
She also shows up to IU games.

There actually is a solution for this mess. They need to replace the special teams coach, Allen to focus on just the defense and get them back to average and Rod Carey needs to carry the load and put an incredible offense on the field (which I think he's capable of). It will give them a good shot at 6-6 for two years and then they need to get rid of Allen because it's really Carey that is likely to carry this team not Allen. The next two games will likely show whether this is true, but Allen may have found a coordinator good enough to save his terrible coaching.

There actually is a solution for this mess. They need to replace the special teams coach, Allen to focus on just the defense and get them back to average and Rod Carey needs to carry the load and put an incredible offense on the field (which I think he's capable of). It will give them a good shot at 6-6 for two years and then they need to get rid of Allen because it's really Carey that is likely to carry this team not Allen. The next two games will likely show whether this is true, but Allen may have found a coordinator good enough to save his terrible coaching.
Except for in game winning situations where he gets stupidly conservative. TWICE!

Except for in game winning situations where he gets stupidly conservative. TWICE!
Was it really conservative?

1st down - Henderson run for no gain
2nd down - Sorsby rush for 3 yd gain
TO
3rd down - Sorsby back to pass and scrambles up the middle for 1 yard loss.
4th down - FG

It looks like except for 1st down, which is open to criticism, IU looked to pass but Sorsby had to scramble.

Was it really conservative?

1st down - Henderson run for no gain
2nd down - Sorsby rush for 3 yd gain
TO
3rd down - Sorsby back to pass and scrambles up the middle for 1 yard loss.
4th down - FG

It looks like except for 1st down, which is open to criticism, IU looked to pass but Sorsby had to scramble.
QB run on 2nd and 10 isn't conservative?

Reactions: midwolfe
QB run on 2nd and 10 isn't conservative?
I don't specifically remember the play and can't find a replay so I'm not sure. Like 3rd down, this could be a scramble as well.

Also, one of the primary benefits of Sorsby is his running ability, which adds different element to the offense. Is that considered conservative now?

Reactions: midwolfe
I don't specifically remember the play and can't find a replay so I'm not sure. Like 3rd down, this could be a scramble as well.

Also, one of the primary benefits of Sorsby is his running ability, which adds different element to the offense. Is that considered conservative now?
Which game are we talking about? Penn State or Illinois?

She’s not McRobbie.
As a university president, she knows the power that good sports programs bring to the school. She’s in the business of promoting this school. She knows thatthe school and athletics are not mutually exclusive.
She also shows up to IU games.
I think you are right on this.

Dolson is more than capable of getting the funding to pull the trigger this year and if PW is supportive that helps. Glass needed help from a Trustee to pull the trigger on Crean so it is not always a decision made in a vacuum.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23

Illinois. Good clarification.

The Penn State calls - 3 straight runs up the middle - are worthy of criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT