ADVERTISEMENT

NIL budgets for IUFB & IUBB

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I’m trying to work through the potential implications of the likely House vs. NCAA settlement, specifically the assumption that the student compensation pool could be up to $22M. I’m going with the assumption that, for Title IX reasons, men’s sports teams will get half the number, so $11M. I’m also assuming that $1M goes to non-revenue sports leaving $10M for Football + Basketball.

** How do you think a $10M compensation pool compares to the current combined IUFB + IUBB NIL pools? **

Reactions: red hornet
I’m trying to work through the potential implications of the likely House vs. NCAA settlement, specifically the assumption that the student compensation pool could be up to $22M. I’m going with the assumption that, for Title IX reasons, men’s sports teams will get half the number, so $11M. I’m also assuming that $1M goes to non-revenue sports leaving $10M for Football + Basketball.

** How do you think a $10M compensation pool compares to the current combined IUFB + IUBB NIL pools? **
My best guess is we spend $5-6M/yr on bball and $3-4M/yr on football. This is from the collectives and not other outside deals.

When Cig joined there were reports of over $3M NIL raised for FB. We are one of the top spenders in bball, especially with Cook and Simon increasing their support for Woody.

Others closer to the collectives will probably have better datapoints. It’s an interesting topic and getting good numbers is tough. Perfect topic for a message board.

My best guess is we spend $5-6M/yr on bball and $3-4M/yr on football. This is from the collectives and not other outside deals.

When Cig joined there were reports of over $3M NIL raised for FB. We are one of the top spenders in bball, especially with Cook and Simon increasing their support for Woody.

Others closer to the collectives will probably have better datapoints. It’s an interesting topic and getting good numbers is tough. Perfect topic for a message board.
Those people shouldn't waist their money on basketball until we get a competent coaching staff in place.

Helpf

Helpful. My hypothesis is that most schools will channel the lion’s share of the men’s direct compensation to their football teams (because that is the sport that drives the media money and in the future likely decides the allocations of that money). I hope we do the same and that the Basketball team continues to rely on NIL support.

Helpful. My hypothesis is that most schools will channel the lion’s share of the men’s direct compensation to their football teams (because that is the sport that drives the media money and in the future likely decides the allocations of that money). I hope we do the same and that the Basketball team continues to rely on NIL support.
If schools get to allocate the men's direct compensation as they see fit, more should go to football. The big FB programs are spending $11-15M+/yr in NIL and the big bball programs are spending $5-6M/yr (us!). Makes sense given the roster sizes, and as you said, FB drives the TV $ and athletic dept revenue.

Now, I would guess if given the option on how to allocate the money, bball schools will skew towards bball and fb schools will skew towards fb. Personally, I'd like to see set revenue share allocations and caps for each sport. So every school can spend, for example, $3M on bball and $8M on football -- and that is set. If I am the B1G Conference, perhaps I want these allocations mandated and more towards football since football drives the TV deals -- can't have Indiana and UCLA spending most of their rev share on basketball and screwing up the conference's football product.

The other way the rev share might go more towards fb is if fb performance dictates TV $ distributions.

Just some thoughts, I have no idea what will happen.

Last edited:
If schools get to allocate the men's direct compensation as they see fit, more should go to football. The big FB programs are spending $11-15M+/yr in NIL and the big bball programs are spending $5-6M/yr (us!). Makes sense given the roster sizes, and as you said, FB drives the TV $ and athletic dept revenue.

Now, I would guess if given the option on how to allocate the money, bball schools will skew towards bball and fb schools will skew towards fb. Personally, I'd like to see set revenue share allocations and caps for each sport. So every school can spend, for example, $3M on bball and $8M on football -- and that is set. If I am the B1G Conference, perhaps I want these allocations mandated and more towards football since football drives the TV deals -- can't have Indiana and UCLA spending most of their rev share on basketball and screwing up the conference's football product.

The other way the rev share might go more towards fb is if fb performance dictates TV $ distributions.

I think the writing is on the wall…we should not be surprised if football success drives media right distributions. If the ACC doesn’t explode, then I think this is where they are heading. Pay for performance.

The combination of easing on transfers and NIL at the same time was a mistake in my opinion. Now we need someone to straighten things out whatever system comes about. Treating players as workers for the college is one way to go but it would bring many problems with it IE workman's comp, vacation pay, unionization, etc..

No system will be perfect but it should be comprehensive and make sense when an issue comes up.

Helpf

Saying up front that I hate all of this but....

That is how I would play it if I was Indiana. Take the revenue sharing funds and dump most of that into football and then rely on NIL to maintain your basketball advantage. Being around a .500 team most years with dips up and down from there should be the short term goal in football. I know people won't want to hear that but I think that keeps you solidly in one of the two money making conferences when also (hopefully) partnered with good men's and women's basketball programs.

We need to get to average consistently and then hopefully build from there to good.

I think you give the women like a million (most of which goes to basketball) and give the non revenue sports a million and then give football and basketball a set amount per scholarship. That is supposing that any of that flies under Title IX.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think you give the women like a million (most of which goes to basketball) and give the non revenue sports a million and then give football and basketball a set amount per scholarship. That is supposing that any of that flies under Title IX.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem the Title IX issue gets clarified by the settlement so I’m guessing there is another round of court cases to come on that front.

Indiana fans aren't the smartest bunch and having a larger NIL for basketball highlights that fact.

I think they’re friends with Woody and/or like the RMK guys. More about that than results. Just an observation. I thought bball NIL would go down after last year, but I was wrong and it went up.
I went to the Auburn game in Atlanta and happened to stay at the same hotel as the team. I can tell you that Woody and Calbert (and probably others but those 2 were who I recognized the most) work the lobby and bar like pros. Not surprised that people love them.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT