ADVERTISEMENT

New Year's Eve

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

To me, NYE has routinely been the most anticlimactic holiday. So it got me to thinking: have I ever hand any good ones (I've never spent NYE in Bloomington).

Only two came to mind:

1. Freshman year in college, home for the holidays, went to a friend's NYE party with whom we played strategy games together in high school (gee, no wonder I don't like NYE). Anyway, his sister was my age and her friend, also my age was there and we snuck away for an hour to another party and the sister's friend and I hooked up. Great time. I've tried to find that girl via the internet for 10+ years but she has no digital presence.

2. Early 2000s at Smith & Wollensky's in Chicago where the Irish bartender set a group of us up, all night. We knew the bartender and he partied with us there past closing.

Use this thread to post your wildest or funniest or most memorable NYE stories.

No wild stories, we get together every NYE with college friends and play Jeopardy and/or a game called Campaign Trail.

I largely do not drink, just 2-3 margaritas a year. Except NYE. It has been a game to get me to drink as much Yukon Jack (a cheap whiskey) as possible. It has led to a couple years I do not remember. But it led to a realization, if I ever appear on Jeopardy I need to drink whiskey.

To me, NYE has routinely been the most anticlimactic holiday. So it got me to thinking: have I ever hand any good ones (I've never spent NYE in Bloomington).

Only two came to mind:

1. Freshman year in college, home for the holidays, went to a friend's NYE party with whom we played strategy games together in high school (gee, no wonder I don't like NYE). Anyway, his sister was my age and her friend, also my age was there and we snuck away for an hour to another party and the sister's friend and I hooked up. Great time. I've tried to find that girl via the internet for 10+ years but she has no digital presence.

2. Early 2000s at Smith & Wollensky's in Chicago where the Irish bartender set a group of us up, all night. We knew the bartender and he partied with us there past closing.

That’s the good Lord looking out for you in hiding her location. Social media. These phones. Get ya thinking the grass is greener …no good

My wife and I went on our first date on New Year’s Eve 1997.

That’s really the only one notable enough for me to remember.
Yeah I remember 1999. Went to a friend's house, had keg, got really drunk and heard the Prince song about a dozen times too many. We were all 20/21 so not everyone could hit up the bar.

The rest were either regular old parties when I was younger, more drunken bacchanalias as a late teen/early adult, and then staying in as I got older.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
New years eve has shaved years off my life.

I never needed an excuse such as NYE to get drunk and show my ass.

I had a close buddy who lived out in the sticks in Green County and a number of years running I just headed out there for the night, just me and him and maybe his wife (unless she went to a party on her own). We'd watch movies and drink and toke and maybe watch the clock and maybe acknowledge when it hit midnight, if we didn't pass out beforehand. We called NYE "amateur night".

I had a close buddy who lived out in the sticks in Green County and a number of years running I just headed out there for the night, just me and him and maybe his wife (unless she went to a party on her own). We'd watch movies and drink and toke and maybe watch the clock and maybe acknowledge when it hit midnight, if we didn't pass out beforehand. We called NYE "amateur night".

Having a kid in your early 20s can slow the nights out.

We call it that too. My best memories were as a teen having family getting together for chili, oyster stew and dominoes. I think the most alcohol I've had on NYE was a few beers and a a couple shots at midnight. Exciting stuff.

I had a running NYE party at my house for a gang of about 15-20 of us that ran together. After a mostly calm night, I would suddenly spark my party ass fuse and spray Champagne on everyone at the ball drop. Alcohol for err'body and sparkling grape non alcohol for all of the kids. After being a part of about 3 years of the same story above, My #1 daughter, about 8 that year, took over the reigns from the old man. She had figured out how to pop the cork and spray everyone, totally to all of our surprise. She planned it all out for months. That was the moment that I knew I had been raising a minnie me, the female version.

2nd best, the wife had bitched about going to times square for NYE and I refused. But it was her life long dream so I paid for her, her friend and 2 daughters to go. It was the coldest NYE on record in times square (or so they said at the time). She then bitched for about 3 months that I made her go. Whaya gonna do, right? OH, I was nice a cozy warm.

Reactions: dr.jb and UncleMark
in the early (single days) it was always a drunkfest in the bars

up until a few years ago i'd still be in the bars but playing with the band. no booze, get home at 3-4 o'clock, more time to try and wind down then try to get to sleep before sunrise. my avatar is NYE about 10 yrs ago (ZZTop mode)

now, it's a couple glasses of wine and unless it's a really good football game i'm out by midnight

I had a running NYE party at my house for a gang of about 15-20 of us that ran together. After a mostly calm night, I would suddenly spark my party ass fuse and spray Champagne on everyone at the ball drop. Alcohol for err'body and sparkling grape non alcohol for all of the kids. After being a part of about 3 years of the same story above, My #1 daughter, about 8 that year, took over the reigns from the old man. She had figured out how to pop the cork and spray everyone, totally to all of our surprise. She planned it all out for months. That was the moment that I knew I had been raising a minnie me, the female version.

2nd best, the wife had bitched about going to times square for NYE and I refused. But it was her life long dream so I paid for her, her friend and 2 daughters to go. It was the coldest NYE on record in times square (or so they said at the time). She then bitched for about 3 months that I made her go. Whaya gonna do, right? OH, I was nice a cozy warm.
i'm surprised you're still living after spraying that sticky sh!t all over the place??

you have a very forgiving wife

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
NYE 1963/64. IU Played Loyola at the Chicago Statdium. IU, with the Vans, lost in a high scoring game. Run and gun the whole game. Double header, DePaul played another Big 10 team. My date became my stoker.

When I was 20 I went to a formal dinner at a Catholic church in South Bend with my girlfriend and another couple. Afterwards, went to a house party and later passed out and then woke up in the morning with puke all over my rented tux.

That one was the most memorable.

• Wow

Only two came to mind:

I would assume that girl has been in intense counseling since that night, possibly got committed.

Amateur night is only good for getting the professionals in trouble.

When I was young, my 1st cousin and I would have New Years eve sleepovers at my house or his. Monopoly, ping pong, fireworks, electric football, sledding before dark if there was snow. Hoops if there wasn't.

The reason I am reminiscing about this now... 5 years ago, still just in his mid 50s, my cousin started showing signs of early onset dementia. Gradual downhill. This fall, we lost him.

Last edited:
When I was young, my 1st cousin and I would have New Years eve sleepovers at my house or his. Monopoly, ping pong, fireworks, electric football, sledding before dark if there was snow.

The reason I am reminiscing about this now... 5 years ago, in his 50s, my cousin started showing signs of early onset dementia. This fall, we lost him.
sorry to hear that, I've heard of similar cases of people getting dementia young like that very sad. if you don't mind me asking is there a physical deterioration related to the disease? thought it was just loss of memory etc.

Often dementia sufferers also have gradual deterioration of many systems, such as immune system problems, blood disorders, poor kidney function, etc. Parts of your brain that controls bodily functions is wasting away. It is awful.

My best ones have been when I was traveling. Spent one NYE in Tahiti, actually did one in NYC watching ball drop, and a couple at bowl games which were pretty fun. It’s never been a favorite of mine and I don’t remember many too wild in my younger days. Had some fun game nights with friends. Now I go to an early dinner and movie, then come home to watch the celebrations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT