ADVERTISEMENT

New DB's Coach

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

I'm impressed by CC's willingness to try to find ways to make a statistically very good Defensive Staff even better by, theoretically at least, shoring up its perceived weak points...

Most guys would just say "hey I already have a good D let's just keep the band together". He' appears to be looking for ways to upgrade Very Good to GREAT...

I like his attitude...

Anyone hear who the next RB's Coach might be?

I'm impressed by CC's willingness to try to find ways to make a statistically very good Defensive Staff even better by, theoretically at least, shoring up its perceived weak points...

Most guys would just say "hey I already have a good D let's just keep the band together". He' appears to be looking for ways to upgrade Very Good to GREAT...

I like his attitude...

Rumor seems to be that John Miller will be coming over from JMU which has some legs to it as his coach page has been scrubbed and he is no longer listed on the 2023 Football Coaches page

Looks great. Prior DC, NFL experience, and recruiter for the DC and Maryland area.

I like his attitude...

Coach Cignetti is bringing his RB coach from JMU, John Miller

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
His front seven was lights out last year and his back four were good but not great, and he is replacing the secondary coaches. He's definitely not a guy who settles for average.
Per another site: Adams will be the Safeties Coach and we're still looking for our Cornerbacks Coach; (actually, it's probably more like we're still waiting for his name to be announced)...

Last edited:

We will either learn to love the guy or hate him in just under a year...

At the moment I'm trusting "the process"...
Right, but he has a solid, effective coaching resume that he brings with him.

Ojong being raised up to the B1G because he has shined in his past coaching endeavors. Believe this is where Cignetti excels. He has the history of hiring strong, achieving assistants. His W/L is proof. Compare Allen's downfall on the same topic as he had little + proof to display.

I hope the “process” works out and will give each coach the benefit of the doubt, but this does not have the feel of a Big Ten coaching staff. Fingers crossed.
I disagree. For me, one of the best things about this hire is that the HC is bringing his own guys. They know what to expect and how he wants things taught and done. It minimizes the possibility of internal conflict among coaches because everybody follows the same philosophy. While coaches from big name institutions might sound like a desirable thing, knowing each other and the system is more important. The fact that they come from a winning program is a huge plus. I've been part of both kinds of coaching staffs, and even at the high school level it is huge when the top guy doesn't have to coach his assistants. It makes practice and game prep much more efficient and it eases the workload and narrows the focus of the head coach to know that his system is understood, valued, and supported by the people who work for him.

My biggest concern when Coach Cignetti was hired was that his staff at JMU would be promoted and key coaches would remain there, requiring him to spend critical time researching, interviewing and teaching his system to a new staff. Instead, they can hit the ground recruiting, setting up the off-season conditioning program and studying film of the guys they are going to coach in the spring ( or what remains after the portal madness).

Cignetti wouldn't have brought anyone along that he didn't believe in. That he has that much faith in his jmu staff is a big plus imo and a major benefit to stealing a coach.

We saw how hard it is to find quality assistants. Ccc also doesn't seem like the type of guy to keep a failing coach around either

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT