ADVERTISEMENT

Need a change in recruiting Philosophy

I also remember when the 3-pt shot rule was instituted, RMK said it was a "horrible idea, but heck, I've got 2 of the best shooters in the country so I guess we'll cope"

IIRC, wasn't he referring to Kitchel and Wittman?
Yes - in '83 the Big 10 used it in conference play for one year on a experimental basis. After those two shot up the rest of the league it never came back until the NCAA instituted it in '87.

anyone who thinks IU never ran under RMK should go back and watch the 1981 tournament game between IU and Maryland. I can still remember, before the game, lots of talking heads predicting IU wouldn't be able to keep up with Maryland's awesome "ACC speed and running game" but in actuality none of their bigs could keep up with Landon Turner and Isiah carved them up.
And the UNLV semifinal in 87. Knight beat them at their own game.. coach K used same game plan in Indy final four when UNlLV was undefeated and going for a repeat.

And the UNLV semifinal in 87. Knight beat them at their own game.. coach K used same game plan in Indy final four when UNlLV was undefeated and going for a repeat.
yup, the "experts" said IU couldn't run with Vegas and had to slow the game down. Knight knew if they tried that UNLV would absolutely kill them on the boards with 2nd chances, so he hit the accelerator pedal. God, what a genius Knight was back when he still cared about coaching.

We need to get a coach in here that looks at more than just measurables when looking at recruits. Crean looks at length and athletic abilility and shooting. I want a coach who can find players with intangibles that helps the team win. I want to find leaders and players who hate to lose and demand that from the other players. I want to find players who make the other players around them better. I want to find players who play with passion and players who know the game and how to win.
We need to recruit position basketball again and land more talent.

Thank you I Think LOL!. I was wondering if AAU basketball has taken away the kids win at anything attitude. With kids playing 5 or 6 games in a weekend and it really doesn't matter if you win every game. Maybe it is just me seeing how this IU team does not play with urgency and the willingness to do whatever it takes to win the game.

I don't think it's the AAU attitude as much as it is the I'm for me getting to the NBA attitude.

We need to get a coach in here that looks at more than just measurables when looking at recruits. Crean looks at length and athletic abilility and shooting. I want a coach who can find players with intangibles that helps the team win. I want to find leaders and players who hate to lose and demand that from the other players. I want to find players who make the other players around them better. I want to find players who play with passion and players who know the game and how to win.
M
Yep time to get back hard noses indiana kids. Wisconsin wins with those and even on a terrible day like today still found a way to win. Nothing wrong with redshirting a kid but crean refuses.Gelon may never contribute but should be a no brainer redshirt player. Hartman should of been redshirted as well his first year. The Wisconsin cant advance argument is done after the last three years.

Sounds like what you're saying is we need more players from Indiana. I agree!!

Reality check: The 1986-1987 team, that won the national championship, had three players from Indiana. The "foreigners" included three players who eventually went on to the NBA.

The team that had all Indiana players was led by Jimmy Chitwood.

Last edited:
Why would you ever think that we wouldn't need players from Indiana?

This was the narrative pushed by the Crean apologists. Crean lost the state and can't recruit Indiana. But rather than admit that, the apologists claimed Crean was outsmarting us all and finding much better players nationally. Of course that narrative took a bit of a hit in 2017 when Indiana had 4 top 40 talents and Crean whiffed. Instead he signed the 40th ranked class in the country filled with long shots.

Reality check: The 1986-1987 team, that won the national championship, had three players from Indiana. They included three players who eventually went on to the NBA.

I only remember two - Alford and Jeff Oliphant

there is a noticible difference between watching five basketball players on the floor versus five athletes. What I see on the floor with IU is five athletes. Not because of their skills and abilities..but because of the way they are coached.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Last night I watched 2 IU games games on ESPN classic from the 87 and 88 season. The first was 1987 season at UM who had 3 eventual first round draft picks. It is the game that IU won on a last second shot by Alford. The first 10 minutes were horrible and IU was down 10 with 10 to's. IU had not subbed one time and then RMK put in Eyl and Hillman for Garrett and Smart. IU finished the haf with those two in the lineup and it was some of the best basketball who could have. The finished the half up 17 and the point is that Eyl and Hillman came in and played to their roles.

Eyl came in and all he ws suppose to do was rebound and set screens to get others open. HIllman's job was to run the offense and get everyone where they were suppose to be. If you look at Alford Eyl and Hillman's measurables they don't stack up bu they knew their roles and it allowed your team to win.
Sounds like what you're saying is we need more players from Indiana. I agree!!
Being from Indiana doesn't guarantee that.

Thank you I Think LOL!. I was wondering if AAU basketball has taken away the kids win at anything attitude. With kids playing 5 or 6 games in a weekend and it really doesn't matter if you win every game. Maybe it is just me seeing how this IU team does not play with urgency and the willingness to do whatever it takes to win the game.

I coached AAU ball at the Middle and HS levels for a decade. The last three years was the transformation from team and tactics to parents, sponsor intrusion, me first kids and Shoe brand involvement. I lost interest in the culture.

Reality check: The 1986-1987 team, that won the national championship, had three players from Indiana. They included three players who eventually went on to the NBA.

Ok. That wasn't the norm under Knight. Presumably you know that. And when he wasn't getting them from Indiana, he got them from Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio. Yes, I know Keith Smart and Dean Garret were from JCs and not from those states.

Let's kill the straw man now. No one is saying everyone roster spot has to be an Indiana kid. Also no one is saying that an out of state kid would not be successful at IU.

Last edited:
I doubt they care anywhere near as much as most of us do if they win or lose.

Don't agree. Players who have the competitive fire necessary to work their whole lives to be at the DI levels, and who are part of the collective brotherhood of team membership hate to lose and revel in victory much more than those of us who watch. Anyone who has been part of a team understands this completely.

Wrong.

He coveted an IU offer - but Crean never would. Even after JBJr de-committed. It worked out better for him, because he's playing for a coach who uses him the right way.

That's how I remember it as well. I thought he had some strong connections, but I could be wrong on that. I know Purdue offered, but he was a big IU fan was the story I heard. I liked him because he was a good size point guard. He would have been a great back up to Yogi, but like a lot of things Crean screwed it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT