ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Proposes Schools Be Able to Fund Some NIL

Something needs to be done about the system as 17-22 year olds don't often have maturity to deal with large sums of money thrown their way. Other issues have come up that need to be addressed too.

Just look at NFL players who became convicted drug dealers during their careers.

This 'college sports' thing is getting dumber and dumber.

I guess it's time for me to support the other programs that provide community engagement, like the concerts and theatre. And ditch sports.

CYA next game. :(

Well this would be something....

Schools Helping Fund NIL
I just heard this on the radio here in Utah so they use BYU as an example. BYU has 750+ "student" athletes. The proposal says 50% have to be paid a minimum of $30k. Of those being paid it has to be 50/50 men and women. That would require a minimum of $11,000,000 in payroll.

I don't know how many scholarship athletes IU has, but would think we would be looking at >$6 million. Maybe the football schools will become just that, football schools. That and men's basketball and whatever women's sports needed to get to the same number of scholarships as the men.

NIL may not be so bad after all.

College football and basketball need to be renamed appropriately to semi-professional football and basketball. That is EXACTLY what it is when you're paying the QB 500k per year or the starting point guard 250k per year.

This week on semi-professional basketball, we've got Purdue versus Indiana. That is truthful, it shouldn't be labeled collegiate anything. Call it what it is!!

College football and basketball need to be renamed appropriately to semi-professional football and basketball. That is EXACTLY what it is when you're paying the QB 500k per year or the starting point guard 250k per year.

This week on semi-professional basketball, we've got Purdue versus Indiana. That is truthful, it shouldn't be labeled collegiate anything. Call it what it is!!
TJD made in the million range. Why call it ”semi”-pro ? These are basically pro players. That being said, IU is my favorite pro team. LOL

Will sports like women’s field hockey that bring in zero dollars (and many other sports don’t break even-baseball, softball, hockey, pistol team, etc) do they receive 30K per team member?

Will sports like women’s field hockey that bring in zero dollars (and many other sports don’t break even-baseball, softball, hockey, pistol team, etc) do they receive 30K per team member?
Hockey makes money for schools that treat it as a real D1 sport. It's a club sport at IU.

Yeah, then Title IX will become a factor. NIL is going to be a headache for these schools eventually.

I get giving female athletes scholarship opportunities, via Title IX, but it is crazy for a non-revenue generating sport to expect to have the same quality of facilities as a sport that generates a ton of money.

I get giving female athletes scholarship opportunities, via Title IX, but it is crazy for a non-revenue generating sport to expect to have the same quality of facilities as a sport that generates a ton of money.

That makes sense if you are a semi-pro sports league, it makes less sense if you are an amateur school seeking federal funding.

You have an argument and so do they.

The next NCAA stunt will probably be a proposal that the kids don’t need to go to class. Just live on campus and play ball.

Reactions: DANC
I just heard this on the radio here in Utah so they use BYU as an example. BYU has 750+ "student" athletes. The proposal says 50% have to be paid a minimum of $30k. Of those being paid it has to be 50/50 men and women. That would require a minimum of $11,000,000 in payroll.

I don't know how many scholarship athletes IU has, but would think we would be looking at >$6 million. Maybe the football schools will become just that, football schools. That and men's basketball and whatever women's sports needed to get to the same number of scholarships as the men.

NIL may not be so bad after all.

Minimum $7 million to fund our Nil at IU for its 200+ athletes

Meanwhile…..in other news….there is a proposal at OSU to pay Marvin Harrison Jr. $24 million to stay.

Reactions: Big Red Buffalo
Hockey makes money for schools that treat it as a real D1 sport. It's a club sport at IU.
I can’t argue this factually so I won’t try but surprised to hear hockey makes money given the need to build and maintain a specialized arena.

Reactions: jsenleo
I can’t argue this factually so I won’t try but surprised to hear hockey makes money given the need to build and maintain a specialized arena.
And basketball and football don't?

I admit it's heresay but I have been told it's the 3rd most watched programming on the B1G Network after FB and BB.

military-firing_squad-guns-being_stupid-firearms-shot-dren2025_low.jpg

Yeah, then Title IX will become a factor. NIL is going to be a headache for these schools eventually.
Title IX already has issues more serious than NIL. It will get worse for women sports if Title IX mandates NIL to the “female” sports. It reminds of this :

Agreed. That's what I've been saying. Make scholarships actual contracts that govern money and 'free agency', i.e the Portal. Make the players pay a buyout for breaking that contract and vice versa.
That is a great idea… great way to control the portal

Agreed. I’m sorry but it is a different level of play. Look at the women’s USA Soccer team. Beaten by 15 year old boys. Not just beaten, blown out! It wasn’t even the first time. They complain about not getting paid the same as men’s soccer but…. Common 15 year olds?

Title IX is great for scholarships but draw the line at forced pay.

Agreed. I’m sorry but it is a different level of play. Look at the women’s USA Soccer team. Beaten by 15 year old boys. Not just beaten, blown out! It wasn’t even the first time. They complain about not getting paid the same as men’s soccer but…. Common 15 year olds?

Well not common 15 year olds but FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team.

• Haha
Well not common 15 year olds but FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team.
Don’t really think that matters. Take an all-star 16 year old team in football or soccer for that matter and play USA Men’s or an NFL team they would be crushed. Women don’t even support the teams. sorry, men will always carry the women because they can’t do it themselves. Equality is great, until you stand on your own.

Don’t really think that matters. Take an all-star 16 year old team in football or soccer for that matter and play USA Men’s or an NFL team they would be crushed. Women don’t even support the teams. sorry, men will always carry the women because they can’t do it themselves. Equality is great, until you stand on your own.
Sure it matters. You think the USA Womens soccer team would lose to a "common" High School freshman team?

Sure it matters. You think the USA Womens soccer team would lose to a "common" High School freshman team?
Really?? I say it is a team of the best common 15 year old boys in soccer! Exactly what I’m saying. Exactly. They are professionals. Right? Or are you saying they aren’t? Either way you make my point

I will disagree a bit in that I don’t think it’s the talent level that matters, at all.
Its all about the interest, eyeballs and gate/TV cash. $$$$$$$$
If the entire nation was bonkers over women’s basketball to the point that tv networks were willing to pay a billion dollars for their tourney rights, like they do for the men’s tourney, then Id be ok with the women demanding the same quality facilities.
The fact of the matter is that serious revenue (mostly TV) is only generated by football and men’s basketball and reasonable people should recognize that fact.

Reactions: nichlee and jsenleo
I will disagree a bit in that I don’t think it’s the talent level that matters, at all.
Its all about the interest, eyeballs and gate/TV cash. $$$$$$$$
If the entire nation was bonkers over women’s basketball to the point that tv networks were willing to pay a billion dollars for their tourney rights, like they do for the men’s tourney, then Id be ok with the women demanding the same quality facilities.
The fact of the matter is that serious revenue (mostly TV) is only generated by football and men’s basketball and reasonable people should recognize that fact.
100% agree. They are bonkers over men’s basketball. Why? Sorry but I’m tired of apologizing for being a man, white, and the root of all that is evil. They are not as fun to watch because you can see it for free at any high school.

THEY should realize it…. THEY should be honest. Now they are destroying women’s sports. Title IX is in trouble like most things coming from dishonest people

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and nichlee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT