ADVERTISEMENT

National Review evicerates the Putin as strong leader meme

iu_a_att

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439977/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-bad-model
In any case, it doesn’t seem too much to ask when indulging a strongman that he leave his country stronger. Putin isn’t doing that. His is an ailing and sometimes chaotic but rich and cultured nation, and his gift has been to transform it into something between a second-rate oil emirate and a first-rate crime syndicate, Norway as run by the city fathers of Chicago. That’s not a model for an American president. It isn’t even a good model for the Russians.
— Kevin D. Williamson is National Review’s roving correspondent.​

That this even needs to be said is astounding to me. But it seems that many on the right are losing their taste for democracy (or at least their taste for universal suffrage) given that demographic trends seem so unfavorable. Rather than create some new, more diverse, winning coalition they are attracted to Putin's ethnic nationalism like moths to a lantern. A similarly bad fate awaits all who go there.

Reactions: hoot1
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/439977/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-bad-model
In any case, it doesn’t seem too much to ask when indulging a strongman that he leave his country stronger. Putin isn’t doing that. His is an ailing and sometimes chaotic but rich and cultured nation, and his gift has been to transform it into something between a second-rate oil emirate and a first-rate crime syndicate, Norway as run by the city fathers of Chicago. That’s not a model for an American president. It isn’t even a good model for the Russians.

That this even needs to be said is astounding to me. But it seems that many on the right are losing their taste for democracy (or at least their taste for universal suffrage) given that demographic trends seem so unfavorable. Rather than create some new, more diverse, winning coalition they are attracted to Putin's ethnic nationalism like moths to a lantern. A similarly bad fate awaits all who go there.

I gave this a "like" as democracy and specifically our form of democracy could very well be losing its appeal as a form of government which can be used as a model for others.

In college we all heard the theory about a benevolent dictator being the most effective form of governing. I don't buy the notion that Putin fits the model as far as being benevolent is concerned. On the other hand, apparently a good many Russians approve of his style and leadership qualities. In contrast, Obama heads a government with three co-equal branches of government complete with checks and balances which by many accounts both at home and abroad is called dysfunctional.

I don't agree that people on the right are "losing their taste for democracy." As far as Putin and Trump, I think it's more accurate to say that most Trump voters are just shrugging it off as insignificant. Maybe it is or maybe it isn't. But I don't get the impression that too many are cheering it -- more like tolerating it. I, for one, think Vladimir Putin is an authoritarian menace who would love nothing more than to get the old band back together again.

As for the nationalism, I think most conservatives would say (and not without reason) that the prospect of a "more diverse" coalition necessarily means one that is far less devoted to the core principles of conservatism. In other words, they take a look at a place like California -- the state which once produced Reagan, but where today elected Republicans are an endangered species and conservatism is extinct -- and say "If that's what the finished product of a nation teeming with Hispanic immigrants looks like, then we want no part of it." And that's certainly understandable. As I've long said, if the lion's share of these immigrants tended to be conservative Republicans, then it would be liberals and Democrats talking about deportation, borders, and walls.

So, no, what you're talking about really has nothing to do with Putin-envy. It has to do with political survival instincts -- and the belief, right or wrong, that there's no place for American conservatism in a more Hispanic America. After all, when measured by our political spectrum, the political pendulums throughout virtually all of Central and South America (plus Mexico) tend to swing between center-left and far-left. So it's no surprise that conservatives are wary of taking on more and more of those nations' voters.

I'm not sure that the changing demographics (wait...what happened to us having net negative immigration in recent years?) are going to continue towards the future projections. But whether they do or don't, I think a far better solution for my fellow conservatives is to change the game from one of identity politics (which is a game conservatives can never win) towards one of expanding the ranks of capital ownership. Because, while it clearly has long been the case that non-white people are far more likely to vote for Democrats, it's just as clearly the case that this disparity is significantly less-pronounced among owners of capital assets who are, naturally, less likely to embrace grievance politics.

I've told the story before of when Bob Kerrey asked Pat Moynihan why so many of their fellow Democrats were wary of reforming Social Security from a program that only provided sustenance income in non-working years to one that provided both income AND accumulated wealth. Moynihan's bluntly honest answer was "They're afraid it will turn Democrats into Republicans."

Well, on one hand, I can understand why they'd fear that. That they do probably ought to be instructive to Republicans who are looking for ways to win converts. On the other hand, that kind of attitude towards public policy is infuriating. Essentially that means that those politicians Moynihan was referring to would prefer fewer people have private, intergenerational wealth of any significance and more people to have a high degree of reliance on government checks for their daily sustenance.....because of the political ramifications of such an arrangement.

That was a bleh and rather poor piece. Nothing interesting that wasn't already common knowledge wrt Russia. As to the suggestion that Putin isn't a "strong" strongman ... They actually need to look up the definition of strongman. He most clearly fits it, and quite well actually. The idea that he hasn't improved the conditions in his country is certainly true and I've posted about that in another thread.

I was about to post a strong disagreement with your premise (Trump supporters being "attracted to Putin's ethnic nationalism like moths to a lantern"). After re-reading your post I am not sure if I fully understand what you are arguing. Are you suggesting that many on the right are attracted to Putin himself (something that I would strongly disagree with), or merely ethnic nationalism (which Putin espouses)?

This election is so unique and downright bizarre, in a multitude of ways. For example, the strong dislike (if not hatred) and distrust of Hillary has led a lot of people to support Trump, not to mention those who are begrudgingly supporting the Republican candidate simply because he's the Republican nominee. Of course there are also a lot of Trump supporters who have supported him from day one of his campaign, for a variety of reasons (some of those reasons being extremely distasteful, if not deplorable). Some of Trump's supporters are extremely muted (a fact that likely terrifies Democrats into believing the Hillary needs at least a 5-10% lead in polls). Others are more vocal, but still cringe at a lot of the crap that comes out of his mouth. Of course we also have the cast of characters (including those deplorables) who think Trump walks on water and can turn lead into gold. A good portion of that latter crowd probably don't even know who Vladimir Putin is. The middle group thinks the Putin comment cringe-worthy, and the secret silent Trump voters shake their heads and mutter to themselves "what the hell am I going to do in November?" Frankly, we may need to extend voting to two days in order to accommodate those who will take 20+ minutes in the voting booth, pondering what it's like to be in zugzwang (i.e., feeling obligated to vote for either Clinton or Trump).

Frankly, I threw out my absentee ballot application form the other day for the simple reason that if I can only vote on November 8, there is always a chance that I will be sick, called out-of-town for work, etc., so that it will be impossible for me to vote. If not, I may be the first one in line, carrying a thermos of coffee and a pillow and maybe a book in preparation for a long spell pondering an impossible choice.

I was about to post a strong disagreement with your premise (Trump supporters being "attracted to Putin's ethnic nationalism like moths to a lantern"). After re-reading your post I am not sure if I fully understand what you are arguing. Are you suggesting that many on the right are attracted to Putin himself (something that I would strongly disagree with), or merely ethnic nationalism (which Putin espouses)?
Thanks for asking for clarification. I think you put it correctly. The attraction is not to Putin per se but to the ethnic nationalism they think he represents. I was careful to point out that on the right the concern is not that democracy is bad rather the problem is who gets to vote.
I do think that there are many on the right who would willingly trade our multi-ethnic democracy for an ethnically desirable strong man along the lines of Putin (e.g., Trump) who would ensure that future elections get the desired result.

Thanks for asking for clarification. I think you put it correctly. The attraction is not to Putin per se but to the ethnic nationalism they think he represents. I was careful to point out that on the right the concern is not that democracy is bad rather the problem is who gets to vote.
I do think that there are many on the right who would willingly trade our multi-ethnic democracy for an ethnically desirable strong man along the lines of Putin (e.g., Trump) who would ensure that future elections get the desired result.

They love Putin because he is tough and not afraid to get his knuckles dirty. They love that he is actually a strong strongman who kills when needed. They love that he willingly puts journalists in jail if not worse.

That's the extent to their knowledge of Putin. They view Trump as some tough guy, his comment about taking someone out on a stretcher. That's the bigger appeal than the ethno centric one. The toughness. The violence.

And frankly I don't think ethno centrism is the main reason for Putin's popularity. I can assure you there are many greater ethno centric figures in Russia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT