ADVERTISEMENT

My two cents and ramblings

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Big day for IU basketball. Have a lot of thoughts floating around.

Glass made the two decisions that needed to be made: yanking Crean off of the mound and putting somebody else on the mound. Did he put the right person on the mound, and can we know at this point?

Glad the hire was not Alford. Marshall may be the best current college basketball coach, but, as has been stated, he has baggage. The baggage Marshall carries is a double edge sword: like RMK and Woody Hayes, Marshall is insanely competitive, which helps make him a great coach. Unfortunately, coaches like this have a hard time controlling this outside of the lines, which can end in being fired. I am guessing that Glass didn't want to go down the RMK road again. I am also guessing lines were cast to Donovan and Brad, which were unfruitful.

Archie Miller. He played at a high D-1 level and is a coach's son. Archie has the necessary knowledge and playing experience required to coach at a place like IU. Crean was lacking, to say the least, in these areas.

IU players will play defense, play hard, and play smart, or their posteriors will be on the bench next to Archie. I know this much. Once again, Crean was lacking in the aforementioned areas and the ability to enforce them.

Archie is young, 38 years young. If things go well, he could be here a long time. Candidates like Donovan and Marshall are considerably older.

Archie has a good resume for a young coach. He has shown the ability to consistently win in his conference: last three years he went 13-5 (2nd), 14-4 (1st), 15-3 (1st). He has shown the ability to consistently make the NCAA's, which is not a given at a mid-major: Archie has went the last 4 years. Archie has shown that he can make a tourney run by going to an Elite 8. Archie has improved the Dayton program each year he has been there. He has a nice overall winning % of .688, which is close to the .700 mark (where a coach wants to be). Archie also has good assistant coaching experience at solid programs: Ohio St. and Arizona.

Archie's resume reminds of Bill Self's resume at Tulsa and Illinois. I am not saying that Archie will end up being that good, but I sure hope he does. It will be very interesting to see what Archie is able to do with the tools and resources of IU. I am ready for a new basketball journey with Archie at the helms.

Last edited:
Well said. After the home runs(Donovan, Stevens), who weren't interested, a guy as universally liked and respected as Archie was the only way to go.

I didn't know a lot about him, but the more research I do, the happier I am. Solid guy, smoking hot wife, and can coach a little.

Let's get it on.

I think this is a solid hire and a big improvement over where we were a few weeks ago. We can argue till the cows come home whether one of the other names bandied about would have been better. Who knows. But CAM has all he needs here to win big and I'll enjoy watching his brand of basketball while I didn't before. And I won't mind seeing his wife in the stands either.

IU players will play defense, play hard, and play smart, or their posteriors will be on the bench next to Archie.

I agree with everything you said in your post. The quote above is the only part of all of it I care about and is the only part that I'm unsure of, if for no other reason then I'm not familiar with the specifics of Miller as a coach. I just know his record on paper.

I believe Indiana is still a blue blood. If Miller has a team that does the things mentioned in the quote above then wins, recruits, and success will all be there.

If you give him his first two years at Dayton to get situated, he's 102-38 (74%).

His teams have gotten better record wise, after the elite 8 run.

All signs that yeah, the run was fluky but the program was getting progressively better and consistent.

THAT has me excited.

He plays a tough man to man D and offensively his wiki page says he plays a Carolina fast break offense with a motion half court offense.

So he plays at a fast pace, he uses motion and plays man to man.

That in itself will make the natives happy.

Big day for IU basketball. Have a lot of thoughts floating around.

Glass made the two decisions that needed to be made: yanking Crean off of the mound and putting somebody else on the mound. Did he put the right person on the mound, and can we know at this point?

Glad the hire was not Alford. Marshall may be the best current college basketball coach, but, as has been stated, he has baggage. The baggage Marshall carries is a double edge sword: like RMK and Woody Hayes, Marshall is insanely competitive, which helps make him a great coach. Unfortunately, coaches like this have a hard time controlling this outside of the lines, which can end in being fired. I am guessing that Glass didn't want to go down the RMK road again. I am also guessing lines were cast to Donovan and Brad, which were unfruitful.

Archie Miller. He played at a high D-1 level and is a coach's son. Archie has the necessary knowledge and playing experience required to coach at a place like IU. Crean was lacking, to say the least, in these areas.

IU players will play defense, play hard, and play smart, or their posteriors will be on the bench next to Archie. I know this much. Once again, Crean was lacking in the aforementioned areas and the ability to enforce them.

Archie is young, 38 years young. If things go well, he could be here a long time. Candidates like Donovan and Marshall are considerably older.

Archie has a good resume for a young coach. He has shown the ability to consistently win in his conference: last three years he went 13-5 (2nd), 14-4 (1st), 15-3 (1st). He has shown the ability to consistently make the NCAA's, which is not a given at a mid-major: Archie has went the last 4 years. Archie has shown that he can make a tourney run by going to an Elite 8. Archie has improved the Dayton program each year he has been there. He has a nice overall winning % of .688, which is close to the .700 mark (where a coach wants to be). Archie also has good assistant coaching experience at solid programs: Ohio St. and Arizona.

Archie's resume reminds of Bill Self's resume at Tulsa and Illinois. I am not saying that Archie will end up being that good, but I sure hope he does. It will be very interesting to see what Archie is able to do with the tools and resources of IU. I am ready for a new basketball journey with Archie at the helms.
Great post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT