ADVERTISEMENT

My Inner Redneck

My inner redneck manifests itself not in music, but in food. Fried Spam sammich (on King's Hawaiian rolls is a bonus), Velveeta grilled cheese, Ham n Beans with cornbread, Steak-umm, Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, Cheez Whiz in a can with crackers, Fried Bologna all hit the redneck spot. Also any animal roasted on a spit (Goat, Pig, Beef, Lamb, Yard Bird) will do the trick, as will anything made with Venison.

My inner redneck manifests itself not in music, but in food. Fried Spam sammich (on King's Hawaiian rolls is a bonus), Velveeta grilled cheese, Ham n Beans with cornbread, Steak-umm, Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, Cheez Whiz in a can with crackers, Fried Bologna all hit the redneck spot. Also any animal roasted on a spit (Goat, Pig, Beef, Lamb, Yard Bird) will do the trick, as will anything made with Venison.
My mom would slice Spam and place the slices along the outside of a baking dish and filled the center with pork and beans. Her pork and beans were awesome by themselves. We talked about that while my mom was in the hospital and it was the first dish mu dad tried.

My wife refuses to buy Spam, but every once in a while I get a craving for that. Some day I will buy Spam and have my wife prepare her pork and beans that are maybe better than mom's (eye roll from heaven).

Reactions: All4You
My wife refuses to buy Spam, but every once in a while I get a craving for that. Some day I will buy Spam and have my wife prepare her pork and beans that are maybe better than mom's (eye roll from heaven).

My wife is the same way. She absolutely hates the stuff, and refuses to buy it, eat it or cook with it. I always have a can or few of it in the cabinet. Same with ham and beans (any white bean) they just turn her off. That said, my adult kids and my son in law beg me to make both when they come for a visit. When not having a hambone or I even use Spam for ham and beans with canned Navy or Great Northern beans. Dice up a can of spam, half an onion, clove of garlic and saute with a bit of oil and cracked black pepper. Add that, some Lea & Perrins and 3 cans of beans to a small crock pot and put on low for 3 hours. Fry up a pan full of taters with the other half of the onion and some bell peppers and make a pan of honey glazed cornbread. That's good eatin' says my inner redneck.

Reactions: sdhoosier
My wife is the same way. She absolutely hates the stuff, and refuses to buy it, eat it or cook with it. I always have a can or few of it in the cabinet. Same with ham and beans (any white bean) they just turn her off. That said, my adult kids and my son in law beg me to make both when they come for a visit. When not having a hambone or I even use Spam for ham and beans with canned Navy or Great Northern beans. Dice up a can of spam, half an onion, clove of garlic and saute with a bit of oil and cracked black pepper. Add that, some Lea & Perrins and 3 cans of beans to a small crock pot and put on low for 3 hours. Fry up a pan full of taters with the other half of the onion and some bell peppers and make a pan of honey glazed cornbread. That's good eatin' says my inner redneck.
Fried bologna sandwiches is another item I haven't had since getting married. My wife sees it as the same as Spam. She will buy ham salad from the deli. I miss cutting off a slab of Velveeta and putting it on my sandwich too. Hell, we stopped eating bread, so I am really screwed. I've become a city slicker!

I was a cook in the Air Force and we were doing some exercises in Oklahoma (Clinton Sherman Air Park) and was using field rations. Spam was one of those and I found it interesting the difference between people coming through the line. Some loved and some hated it when they saw the spam. One good thing about being a cook is we had powdered scrambled eggs which aren't bad. But we had regular eggs and since we were the cooks we had real eggs for breakfast while others had the powdered.

If that song doesn't explain the ways of redneckedness, then I don't know what to tell you.

Putting vodka and benadryl in the kids drinks so they'll sleep on the way to uncle Slayton's place. Uncle Slayton makes whiskey and catches catfish on jug lines.

But I think what really screams redneck is the verse where he talks about banging his 2nd cousins, Ruth Ann and Lynn.

If that song doesn't explain the ways of redneckedness, then I don't know what to tell you.

Putting vodka and benadryl in the kids drinks so they'll sleep on the way to uncle Slayton's place. Uncle Slayton makes whiskey and catches catfish on jug lines.

But I think what really screams redneck is the verse where he talks about banging his 2nd cousins, Ruth Ann and Lynn.
I gotta agree and one of McMurtry's Heartless Bastards band members is named Cornbread. Unless you are a Kentucky Headhunters fan, I'd say that song is a Redneck as it comes. Ask MTIOTF. He lives that lifestyle daily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT