ADVERTISEMENT

My first Women4Change meeting

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
was last night at St. Luke's . There were about 1,500 people there and reservations filled up over a month ago. They looked into getting an alternate place to take in overflow, but logistics proved difficult, so did not. They stressed several times that it was bipartisan, but my guess is at least 90 percent were liberal, probably more. There were several representatives there, and some sent an aide, including Susan Brooks, so at least one Republican. Mayor Joe Hogsett was there and spoke, in addition to a few other introductory speakers.

The main purpose was to introduce the 4 different task forces that would begin working separately from the main group. Those were Dignity and Safety, Mentoring and Empowering ( helping more women run for office, is one of their goals, ) Inclusion and Civility, and Reforming and Restrictiring Gerrymandering. After the first hour, We broke into groups to discuss what the next steps would be. Each subset group set future meetings.

There were also booths outside to gather information on a variety of issues, such as sexual assault, LGBTQ, Planned Parenthood, helping to assimilate refugees into the community, etc. Everyone was given a list of some important upcoming laws and numbers to call. I have no idea if my group will be a worthwhile use of my time or not, but I think it holds a lot of promise. There were at least two other meetings in Central Indiana last night that I know of, similar in purpose. At the least, it feels like doing something besides just donating money and making phone calls. At the most, it might actually make a difference.

Two more notes, while there were women of all different ages, there was not as much diversity as I had hoped, and that was one of the topics, on how to get more minorities involved. A smattering, but not a large group. Also, can't tell you how many women I heard saying they had never done anything political in their life, but they felt compelled to do so now. This feels like something big, and I was very pleased at how positive it was. Just thought some of you might be interested in this, since you probably think all I do is complain on here. Let me know if anyone you know would like more information.

was last night at St. Luke's . There were about 1,500 people there and reservations filled up over a month ago. They looked into getting an alternate place to take in overflow, but logistics proved difficult, so did not. They stressed several times that it was bipartisan, but my guess is at least 90 percent were liberal, probably more. There were several representatives there, and some sent an aide, including Susan Brooks, so at least one Republican. Mayor Joe Hogsett was there and spoke, in addition to a few other introductory speakers.

The main purpose was to introduce the 4 different task forces that would begin working separately from the main group. Those were Dignity and Safety, Mentoring and Empowering ( helping more women run for office, is one of their goals, ) Inclusion and Civility, and Reforming and Restrictiring Gerrymandering. After the first hour, We broke into groups to discuss what the next steps would be. Each subset group set future meetings.

There were also booths outside to gather information on a variety of issues, such as sexual assault, LGBTQ, Planned Parenthood, helping to assimilate refugees into the community, etc. Everyone was given a list of some important upcoming laws and numbers to call. I have no idea if my group will be a worthwhile use of my time or not, but I think it holds a lot of promise. There were at least two other meetings in Central Indiana last night that I know of, similar in purpose. At the least, it feels like doing something besides just donating money and making phone calls. At the most, it might actually make a difference.

Two more notes, while there were women of all different ages, there was not as much diversity as I had hoped, and that was one of the topics, on how to get more minorities involved. A smattering, but not a large group. Also, can't tell you how many women I heard saying they had never done anything political in their life, but they felt compelled to do so now. This feels like something big, and I was very pleased at how positive it was. Just thought some of you might be interested in this, since you probably think all I do is complain on here. Let me know if anyone you know would like more information.

Good for you! Glad someone on here is getting involved. If I wasn't about to leave I'd be doing the same.

What exactly are we trying to change?
Did you read? I'd think it might be obvious if so. Number of women that are sexually harassed or raped, gerrymandering, funding going away from Planned Parenthood, helping refugees assimilating into cities, supporting LGBTQ community, mentoring young women and helping support women to run for office, giving women information they need to talk to and call their representatives with concerns. To name a few....

Well, perhaps it took Trump actually winning to get those apathetic liberals involved. If Hillary can get nearly 3 million more votes imagine what a likeable and somewhat competent (bar doesn't need to be high running against Trump) can do in 2020. I have a feeling this right wing populist experiment won't last long.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Did you read? I'd think it might be obvious if so. Number of women that are sexually harassed or raped, gerrymandering, funding going away from Planned Parenthood, helping refugees assimilating into cities, supporting LGBTQ community, mentoring young women and helping support women to run for office, giving women information they need to talk to and call their representatives with concerns. To name a few....

I'm curious as to why LGBTQ rights, gerrymandering, and refugees are gender specific issues?

Sexual assault and rape has been trending down for some time, so let's hope you guys aren't trying to enact too much change.

What about women that want to defund planned parenthood or don't really care? Are they looking for the wrong kind of change?

Instead of women4change, maybe we call it "Female Liberals Make Themselves Feel Better"

As the father of a daughter I appreciate the efforts and best of luck. The smart ass in me chuckled about "inclusion and civility".

Reactions: hoosboot
I'm curious as to why LGBTQ rights, gerrymandering, and refugees are gender specific issues?

Sexual assault and rape has been trending down for some time, so let's hope you guys aren't trying to enact too much change.

What about women that want to defund planned parenthood or don't really care? Are they looking for the wrong kind of change?

Instead of women4change, maybe we call it "Female Liberals Make Themselves Feel Better"
No one said all the issues have to gender specific. Women are concerned with issues that affect everyone, not just women. You are correct that rape has been trending down, but 1-5 still seems a bit high to me. Yes, I'd say women that want to defund Planned Parenthood are looking for the wrong kind of change. They will be taking away all kinds of services that many without other resources need. Might I ask what exactly you are doing to make the world a better place?

No one said all the issues have to gender specific. Women are concerned with issues that affect everyone, not just women. You are correct that rape has been trending down, but 1-5 still seems a bit high to me. Yes, I'd say women that want to defund Planned Parenthood are looking for the wrong kind of change. They will be taking away all kinds of services that many without other resources need. Might I ask what exactly you are doing to make the world a better place?

Just realize that what you attended is in no way about "women". Rather it's a subset of women with specific beliefs. There are other subsets of women who believe differently.

Passing it off as a "women" thing is a little disingenuous I think. After all 53% of white women voted for Trump. I'm guessing not a whole lot of them bothered to show?

Just realize that what you attended is in no way about "women". Rather it's a subset of women with specific beliefs. There are other subsets of women who believe differently.

Passing it off as a "women" thing is a little disingenuous I think. After all 53% of white women voted for Trump. I'm guessing not a whole lot of them bothered to show?
Ummmm did it say All Women 4 Change? Did you answer my question?

Oh. Is that what would you like the conversation to devolve into? Who is doing more to "make the world a better place?".

I don't really feel like indulging you in a conversation that you wish to start with the sole purpose of inflating your sense of self worth.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL

Oh. Is that what would you like the conversation to devolve into? Who is doing more to "make the world a better place?".

I don't really feel like indulging you in a conversation that you wish to start with the sole purpose of inflating your sense of self worth.
I believe you are the one that brought about this discussion by being totally dismissive of people actually trying to do something. I think some of you have absolutely no idea how many women are extremely pi$$ed off. Last night's remarks by Mitch are just the perfect most recent example. Marches and activist groups all over the country are being planned by women. We aren't going away anytime soon.

That's an interesting agenda.

Not one of those issues were on the voter's minds who voted for Trump--including women voters. Where does getting women into STEM disciplines fit in? Where do jobs fit in? Where does entrepreneurship fit in? Where does commercial and economic activity fit in? The number of women in undergraduate engineering is pitiful, while those who study the empowerment curriculum in various women's studies are plentiful. Inclusion and civility? How do you think that would play out if Milo Yiannopoulos showed up in Bloomington? In short, the highly accomplished women (my friends) I know wouldn't be part of a group with this agenda--well maybe one would, but she is more liberal than you.

While these kinds of issues define the liberal agenda, and the Democratic Party, I think you are mistaken if you think this will grow the liberal electorate. This looks like more of the same losing agenda HIllary ran on. Politics is trending away from sex, skin color, and other demographic identifiers, and towards economic issues. But we'll see.

I believe you are the one that brought about this discussion by being totally dismissive of people actually trying to do something. I think some of you have absolutely no idea how many women are extremely pi$$ed off. Last night's remarks by Mitch are just the perfect most recent example. Marches and activist groups all over the country are being planned by women. We aren't going away anytime soon.

Women attend college in greater numbers than men, they also vote in greater numbers than men. If all women truly felt like you do we'd be seeing the effects, in our elections, and in societal changes as a whole.

It seems like you're working hard toward what you believe in and that's admirable. But what I find extremely arrogant is that you assume the ideals you believe in and were preached at this meeting "make the world a better place", represent the vast majority of women, or are even resonate with many women.

There are segments of our society where women are vastly under-represented. Engineering, Politics, Corporate America being among them. But like Co. Hoosier pointed out, that's due to their own decisions and not anything that's being forced upon them.

I don't understand this "We're not going away" mantra. No one is telling you to go away or that you shouldn't have your own beliefs. It's the insistence that you are somehow being silenced that confounds many women and men alike.

That's an interesting agenda.

Not one of those issues were on the voter's minds who voted for Trump--including women voters. Where does getting women into STEM disciplines fit in? Where do jobs fit in? Where does entrepreneurship fit in? Where does commercial and economic activity fit in? The number of women in undergraduate engineering is pitiful, while those who study the empowerment curriculum in various women's studies are plentiful. Inclusion and civility? How do you think that would play out if Milo Yiannopoulos showed up in Bloomington? In short, the highly accomplished women (my friends) I know wouldn't be part of a group with this agenda--well maybe one would, but she is more liberal than you.

While these kinds of issues define the liberal agenda, and the Democratic Party, I think you are mistaken if you think this will grow the liberal electorate. This looks like more of the same losing agenda HIllary ran on. Politics is trending away from sex, skin color, and other demographic identifiers, and towards economic issues. But we'll see.
Many of the ones you brought up actually fit under the empowering women umbrella. Frustrating indeed, that every issue in the world can't be addressed in the first meeting. But fortunately, there were many, in fact too many that could fit in, that actually were attracted to that agenda. And pardon if I find it laughable that you say politics is trending away from sex, skin color, etc. It was a major factor in this election. I don't see it going anywhere, as long as people like Trump and Bannon are around and people that support those types.

Reactions: iu_a_att
Many of the ones you brought up actually fit under the empowering women umbrella. Frustrating indeed, that every issue in the world can't be addressed in the first meeting. But fortunately, there were many, in fact too many that could fit in, that actually were attracted to that agenda. And pardon if I find it laughable that you say politics is trending away from sex, skin color, etc. It was a major factor in this election. I don't see it going anywhere, as long as people like Trump and Bannon are around and people that support those types.

Most of the women I know (my friends) and who would be inclined to be active, would be highly insulted by your talking down to them and saying they need mentoring or empowerment. Just what do you think of women anyway? Do you think you are so much better than most of them? I think I think more highly of women than you do.

I doubt if the vast majority of voters know Bannon from Belichick, you are wasting your time talking about him.

Most of the women I know (my friends) and who would be inclined to be active, would be highly insulted by your talking down to them and saying they need mentoring or empowerment. Just what do you think of women anyway? Do you think you are so much better than most of them? I think I think more highly of women than you do.

I doubt if the vast majority of voters know Bannon from Belichick, you are wasting your time talking about him.
You don't have a freaking clue what you are talking about. You're trying to tell people about a program that YOU WEREN'T AT. Just like you tried to talk about a march YOU WEREN'T AT. So maybe, I know it's hard, but just maybe you should try to learn before you go spouting off about something you know zero about. No one was talking down to anyone. The mentoring and powering program will begin in the elementary grades, including programs like Big Sisters and Girls Club. Would you agree that perhaps they might be in need of empowerment or mentoring? Or should I tell them that COHoosier and his friends think we are talking down to them.? What a joke.

Reactions: hootch1

Once again, moving the discussion. Who gives a care if they know who Bannon is. My response was to your nonsensical response that politics is moving away from race and gender.

You don't have a freaking clue what you are talking about. You're trying to tell people about a program that YOU WEREN'T AT. Just like you tried to talk about a march YOU WEREN'T AT. So maybe, I know it's hard, but just maybe you should try to learn before you go spouting off about something you know zero about. No one was talking down to anyone. The mentoring and powering program will begin in the elementary grades, including programs like Big Sisters and Girls Club. Would you agree that perhaps they might be in need of empowerment or mentoring? Or should I tell them that COHoosier and his friends think we are talking down to them.? What a joke.

I'm talking about what you said regarding both. I get your message. You seem to assign many women and girls to a place where I don't. And I still don't know what you are talking about with women, girls, or whomever needing mentoring or empowerment different from boys or men. I think you worsen the issue are trying to solve. I coached high school mock trial for a number of years, I was the same hardass for both sexes. I wouldn't dream of singling out the young ladies for special mentoring or empowerment. That would be contrary to every message I was trying to convey.

I'm talking about what you said regarding both. I get your message. You seem to assign many women and girls to a place where I don't. And I still don't know what you are talking about with women, girls, or whomever needing mentoring or empowerment different from boys or men. I think you worsen the issue are trying to solve. I coached high school mock trial for a number of years, I was the same hardass for both sexes. I wouldn't dream of singling out the young ladies for special mentoring or empowerment. That would be contrary to every message I was trying to convey.
Well it's a good thing for all of us that you aren't in education then.

Maybe after decades of being told to "sit down" some women are deciding to look for ways to empower themselves and that they don't need to listen when they are told to "shut up". I say kudos to them.

Cool if your friends feel female empowerment is no big deal, but I'm all for it. I'm all for empowerment of everybody. I love African-American empowerment. I love female empowerment. I love Caucasian empowerment. I love empowerment for the poor. I love empowerment for the religious. I love empowerment for everybody. And some people don't feel empowered, so I think that mentoring to help them be empowered is an awesome thing. </rant>

Reactions: deepthree

If we flashed back to 7 years ago....you guys could reverse your positions.....and COH could argue how Tea Party protestors were real Americans with with real grievances, all worried about their future, and the future of their country....and Zeke could call them tea-baggers that didn't understand anything other than they were angry at a black president who made their heads explode with anger and frustration for no reason.

It's good for our democracy to have active participation. It's our best defense for self-governance. I don't particularly think it's helpful to be so denigrating to those that want to be active like this in civil society.

There are likely only a few policy positions of which I agree with Zeke, but I'm very happy she's politically engaged.

Maybe after decades of being told to "sit down" some women are deciding to look for ways to empower themselves and that they don't need to listen when they are told to "shut up". I say kudos to them.

Cool if your friends feel female empowerment is no big deal, but I'm all for it. I'm all for empowerment of everybody. I love African-American empowerment. I love female empowerment. I love Caucasian empowerment. I love empowerment for the poor. I love empowerment for the religious. I love empowerment for everybody. And some people don't feel empowered, so I think that mentoring to help them be empowered is an awesome thing. </rant>

eh . . . . .I really don't think that can be taught. What we can do is treat and accept people as if they are empowered. Empowerment is not a one-size fits all. Singling out people who don't fit my view of empowerment doesn't help them anyway.

If we flashed back to 7 years ago....you guys could reverse your positions.....and COH could argue how Tea Party protestors were real Americans with with real grievances, all worried about their future, and the future of their country....and Zeke could call them tea-baggers that didn't understand anything other than they were angry at a black president who made their heads explode with anger and frustration for no reason.

It's good for our democracy to have active participation. It's our best defense for self-governance. I don't particularly think it's helpful to be so denigrating to those that want to be active like this in civil society.

There are likely only a few policy positions of which I agree with Zeke, but I'm very happy she's politically engaged.

The underlying assumption is that women aren't engaged. That comes from Hillary losing. HIllary didn't lose because women are unengaged.

Coming full circle, if Zeke et. al. really wants to increase the political impact of women, doubling down on the same ol losing agenda isn't the way to do it. That strategy gave us Trump.

eh . . . . .I really don't think that can be taught. What we can do is treat and accept people as if they are empowered. Empowerment is not a one-size fits all. Singling out people who don't fit my view of empowerment doesn't help them anyway.

I respectfully disagree with your first sentence because I believe part of doing it is doing what's in your second sentence, encouraging people to demand what's in your second sentence, and helping them understand what's in your third sentence.

Sorry to say it, pal, but you are an empowerment teacher. ;)

The underlying assumption is that women aren't engaged. That comes from Hillary losing. HIllary didn't lose because women are unengaged.

Coming full circle, if Zeke et. al. really wants to increase the political impact of women, doubling down on the same ol losing agenda isn't the way to do it. That strategy gave us Trump.

You aren't making an engagement argument. You are making a political argument.

People can be engaged and have a political impact however they want. And the more engaged they are, the more political impact they can have.

Old people voted. Young people didn't. That's what gave us Trump.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with your first sentence because I believe part of doing it is doing what's in your second sentence, encouraging people to demand what's in your second sentence, and helping them understand what's in your third sentence.

Sorry to say it, pal, but you are an empowerment teacher. ;)

I'm an empowerment enabler. Maybe also a role model, but only others can comment on that.

Why has your generation so greatly failed....and left mine with a steaming pile of dog shit on the porch?

My generation left you with technology that took us to the moon, your generation used that technology to play video games. My generation left you with drugs and chemistry we used to create medical miracles, you use it to get high. My generation gave you unambiguous moral standards, your generation took it to moral relativism. My generation strengthened civil rights for all of us, your generation uses that to take offense at microagressions and to ban free speech.

My generation left you with technology that took us to the moon, your generation used that technology to play video games. My generation left you with drugs and chemistry we used to create medical miracles, you use it to get high. My generation gave you unambiguous moral standards, your generation took it to moral relativism. My generation strengthened civil rights for all of us, your generation uses that to take offense at microagressions and to ban free speech.
No fake news here, You hit the nail on the head CO.

After the first hour, We broke into groups to discuss what the next steps would be.
I skimmed this thread, so I might have missed it. Which task force are you most interested in? Ever consider running for office?

Well, perhaps it took Trump actually winning to get those apathetic liberals involved. If Hillary can get nearly 3 million more votes imagine what a likeable and somewhat competent (bar doesn't need to be high running against Trump) can do in 2020. I have a feeling this right wing populist experiment won't last long.
If the Democrats decide to put up a candidate who is actually popular, and the liberals wake up for a change, and the centrists that flipped right this time get scared and come home, we could have a blowout rejection of the current administration of epic proportions. Like 1980 big.

And it really shouldn't be that hard to pull off. It just requires people to follow through on what they are all screaming about at the moment. Four years is a long time; a lot of people can get lazy over four years.

LOL. Sure. I don't know how old you are....I was referring to the boomer generation. You referring to the moon tech....that is not really a boomer legacy.

Boomer generation has left total political dysfunction and looming fiscal disaster to pay for their coming retried years. The numbers are what they are, they can't be disputed.

The rest of what you wrote may make you feel good, but they don't change that reality. This isn't an indictment on any one individual, but a generalization.

Generational patterns repeat over time, as researchers William Strauss and Neil Howe showed. A “civic” generation is followed by an “adaptive” one, then “idealist” and “reactive” generations. The boomers are idealists — same as the generations that led the United States into the Civil War and the Great Depression. Gen Xers are reactive — cynical and pragmatic — and clean up idealists’ messes. Millennials, like the Greatest Generation, rebuild institutions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2016/10/25/7d0c6a62-9aef-11e6-b3c9-f662adaa0048_story.html

I'll admit I was in cranky form last night. I was reading some not optimistic long-term macro-economic/demographic data yesterday at work, which set me into a sour mood. Which led me to dine with too much wine. Than late last night read on here that Trump vote was a vote for "fiscal sanity".....and then I kind of lost it for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

Zeke, keep up the hard work, and work for long-term dedication, not just short-term complaint. We have short-term stuff after every election, and the fact we can't keep the fire lit is why the next election sucks just as bad.

Ignore the people giving you shit in this thread. You were never going to win them over, anyway.

The rest of what you wrote may make you feel good, but they don't change that reality.

I was simply returning serve. Of course there is much more to the issues of today than the bumper sticker phrases you and I posted. If you think you or Dana Milbank have the answer, I can't help you.

Old people voted. Young people didn't. That's what gave us Trump.
I am appalled at the people that didn't vote. I hear it again and again from people. Some people didn't and are too embarrassed to say so. There were even some people at the meeting that didn't. They said aid they knew Hillary was going to win, so they didn't bother. They should be embarrassed , but hopedullynlearned their lesson. Another reason why I think all the left needs to do is make sure they get their people to vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT