ADVERTISEMENT

My fellow beer nerds, I humbly submit .....

Mrs. O has commented recently on the amount of stuff I have, and like you I only make a handful of trades a year. That's enough for me. The cats on BA that live on the trade board are ..... enthusiastic.

2-3 years ago when Westie XII released in the US, I had an opportunity to buy a 6er for $86. I passed. Of course, I paid $35 for one bottle last November in Aruba. It was worth every penny.

$800? Man, I really enjoy beer, but I just can't see that. To those that do spend that, I raise my pint glass and say, "Better you than me." I'll enjoy the Vallejo that you sent or the KBS Phish sent or the Grapefruit Dead Hoops sent and have a most excellent beer nerd day.
I met a d
There is no beer worth that sort of cash. None. For me, I won't pay more for any beer than I would be willing to pay on a regular basis if I liked it. If it's too much to pay to buy twenty of them, it's too much to pay for one.
Yes and no. I know what you're saying but I do buy bombers fairly often and they're always pricey compared to 6 packs and even four packs. Sometimes I just have to try new stuff. Now the $20 for the Destihl cognac barrel aged RIS? Nah. Too much. I like Destihl but they aren't good enough for that kind of roll of the dice.

Now Abraxas was $20 per bomber a couple years ago. I passed a couple times before finally splurging. It was great and I was glad I did, but I wouldn't buy a case at that price or anything. And I think I've only paid more than $20 a bomber three or four times. One was to Hoops for Baller Stout. And I bought a couple Goose Islands sisters for around $25 each. They weren't better than Sofie, which is $10 per 4 pack. And the Baller was incredible, but on the same level as Founder FIS and Bells Expedition. So, on my limited sample size I'll pay more to try stuff, but I won't go too crazy.

The $800 is just unfathonable for me.

Also, I recently met a dude who posts more crazy pictures of hauls than I've ever seen. He said he's in some exclusive trade groups on Facebook. Good for him and I hope he'll share with me sometime, but he's the first person I've met where he's in the Show and I'm in Low A ball. Usually I'm the biggest beer geek around, so this was eye opening.

Reactions: ovaltine
I met a d

Yes and no. I know what you're saying but I do buy bombers fairly often and they're always pricey compared to 6 packs and even four packs. Sometimes I just have to try new stuff. Now the $20 for the Destihl cognac barrel aged RIS? Nah. Too much. I like Destihl but they aren't good enough for that kind of roll of the dice.

Now Abraxas was $20 per bomber a couple years ago. I passed a couple times before finally splurging. It was great and I was glad I did, but I wouldn't buy a case at that price or anything. And I think I've only paid more than $20 a bomber three or four times. One was to Hoops for Baller Stout. And I bought a couple Goose Islands sisters for around $25 each. They weren't better than Sofie, which is $10 per 4 pack. And the Baller was incredible, but on the same level as Founder FIS and Bells Expedition. So, on my limited sample size I'll pay more to try stuff, but I won't go too crazy.

The $800 is just unfathonable for me.

Also, I recently met a dude who posts more crazy pictures of hauls than I've ever seen. He said he's in some exclusive trade groups on Facebook. Good for him and I hope he'll share with me sometime, but he's the first person I've met where he's in the Show and I'm in Low A ball. Usually I'm the biggest beer geek around, so this was eye opening.
Your last paragraph is why TMP is probably right about beer and how it's evolved over the past 20 years or so. I like beer - shoot, I "LOVE" beer (just as I "LOVE" Veal Parm or a well-marbled ribeye), and I spend WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time reading about beer and acquiring beer - and, as you say, I'm a Low A player compared to some guys I've come across on BA.

I drink beer because I really like beer and all of its styles, which is how guys like you, Hank, and Hoops seem, too, but I've come across some people - and I hate to stereotype, but they're usually "younger" guys - who are trying to WIN at beer. That's cool, but it's not for me. Beer is too much fun to try to "win."

Unless a growler of Pliny The Younger is involved. Then I will vanquish any who cross my path.

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT