ADVERTISEMENT

My fellow beer nerds, I humbly submit .....

ovaltine

Hall of Famer
Sep 3, 2001
Indiana, our Indiana .....
Grapefruit Dead by 18th Street Brewery. This is DIPA is filled with citrusy dank gushiness that is the hallmark of all world-class DIPA's. It's comparable with the same brewery's Deal With The Devil. I do not make that statement lightly.

eyNLv8v0j

In honor of this beverage's vibe, I offer this to my GD brothers as the neophyte I am .....

#NFA

Reactions: Hoops Cat
Grapefruit Dead by 18th Street Brewery. This is DIPA is filled with citrusy dank gushiness that is the hallmark of all world-class DIPA's. It's comparable with the same brewery's Deal With The Devil. I do not make that statement lightly.

eyNLv8v0j

In honor of this beverage's vibe, I offer this to my GD brothers as the neophyte I am .....

#NFA
I'll piggy back on your thread and post my most recent purchase from my trip to Northern Scotland, more specifically my time in Inverness, two weeks back.
Was chatting up a bartender at The Pheonix Ale House and mentioned I was looking for 1 Scotch to bring back with me that I likely would not find in the states. Guy told me to look for 2 bottles of Scapa 16yr. 1 to drink, 1 to keep. That they were discontinued/out of production and were going to be a collectors item in a few years.

CHQjh40UsAEopPu.jpg

Took me some time but I got my hands on a bottle. The bartender let me try it there and I'll say this: Overall I'm not a big scotch fan but this Scapa 16 is amazing. It carries a punch and is smooth as ice tea on a hot day. Fantastic flavor.
Now I only picked up one bottle because, well the price (Pound vs dollar killed me) and I'm not a collector for $... and I couldn't fit anymore in my bag.
Tried 3 Scotch shops and they were all sold out, but found it in Duty Free at Glasgow Airport.
My response to your beer...

Never had the beer you speak of, but I'll say that while I generally despise fruit or spiced beers I'm digging some of the grapefruit offerings. I suppose it's because the grapefruit comes across more like a fruity hop character than actual fruit.

But then again I had a couple of Tyranena "Balling the Queen" Double IPA's with dinner so I may just be talking gibberish.

Reactions: ovaltine
I need to get up there to try 18th street. Just saw news yesterday that BrewDog is opening a brewery in Columbus, OH. Great breweries all over the Midwest.

And, as my second offering to the beer nerd gods, I submit this magnificent example of the DIPA style. When Scream is the worst beer you have in a drinking expedition, you've had a GREAT day. And Ranger thinks you're all simply terrific (even if he's looking at a bird in a tree, wondering how he can eat it). BTW - the Ten Ninety bottle opener is a shout out to jhoban - that's his brewery, and they do great things. If you're in the Chicagoland area, check them out. The Imperial Porter is world-class.

idOddzIKj

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Never had the beer you speak of, but I'll say that while I generally despise fruit or spiced beers I'm digging some of the grapefruit offerings. I suppose it's because the grapefruit comes across more like a fruity hop character than actual fruit.

But then again I had a couple of Tyranena "Balling the Queen" Double IPA's with dinner so I may just be talking gibberish.
I don't especially enjoy fruit beers unless they're well executed, like some of the New Glarus offerings (Belgian Red, Serendipity, etc), but Grapefruit Dead is most definitely not a fruit beer - it is a world-class DIPA, IMHO. And I submit that humbly to you, because you are a beverage ninja of the highest degree.

eyNLv8v0j

#NFA
As I told you, much better than Grapefruit Sculpin. All hail Hoops for sharing the goods.

I had a Balling the Queen myself this evening. That's a tasty damn beverage. Honey. IIPA. Citra? Yes, yes, and yes. I've had a couple Tyranena offerings and will be trying more.

I had a Balling the Queen myself this evening. That's a tasty damn beverage. Honey. IIPA. Citra? Yes, yes, and yes. I've had a couple Tyranena offerings and will be trying more.

Yeah, I had it on tap at a local pizza joint (800 degrees, for you Ft Wayne guys). I've had some Tyranena beers in the past as they're on the shelf here. They're generally OK. Usually solid and respectable, but rarely do they stand out against the crowd in the bottle shop. But as a tap offering it can be a welcome sight.

I thought that Balling the Queen was pretty good, but I'm a sucker for Citra.

Yeah, I had it on tap at a local pizza joint (800 degrees, for you Ft Wayne guys). I've had some Tyranena beers in the past as they're on the shelf here. They're generally OK. Usually solid and respectable, but rarely do they stand out against the crowd in the bottle shop. But as a tap offering it can be a welcome sight.

I thought that Balling the Queen was pretty good, but I'm a sucker for Citra.
I've only had Scurvy, an IPA brewed with oranges, and a partially bourbon barrel aged imperial Porter from them. Both were decent, as you described their stuff. Not great but good enough for me to give more of their stuff a chance at least.

And yeah, I'm a Citra whore. Mosaic too.

I've only had Scurvy, an IPA brewed with oranges, and a partially bourbon barrel aged imperial Porter from them. Both were decent, as you described their stuff. Not great but good enough for me to give more of their stuff a chance at least.

And yeah, I'm a Citra whore. Mosaic too.

I've been brewing a lot with Mosaic, and Galaxy as well. The trio of Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy has replaced my previous favorite of Simcoe/Columbus/Centennial for a house beer.

As I told you, much better than Grapefruit Sculpin. All hail Hoops for sharing the goods.

Much better than Grapefruit Sculpin? That's saying a lot. I like like citra hops, and especially now that it's getting hot out, it's nice to enjoy an IPA that's a bit fruity. There's no chance I'll be touching any scottish ales now that it's gotten hot out. They have too much malt, and are way too heavy.

Much better than Grapefruit Sculpin? That's saying a lot. I like like citra hops, and especially now that it's getting hot out, it's nice to enjoy an IPA that's a bit fruity. There's no chance I'll be touching any scottish ales now that it's gotten hot out. They have too much malt, and are way too heavy.
Significantly better - but they're not the same thing. Grapefruit Sculpin is a IPA, Grapefruit Dead is a DIPA.

I've been brewing a lot with Mosaic, and Galaxy as well. The trio of Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy has replaced my previous favorite of Simcoe/Columbus/Centennial for a house beer.

I've got my first Mosaic pale ale fermenting right now. I'll dry-hop it with more Mosaic sometime this weekend. Can't wait to try it. This will be my first try at kegging, too.

Good call on Galaxy. Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA and Revolution Galaxy Hero are two great single hopped examples using those.

Significantly better - but they're not the same thing. Grapefruit Sculpin is a IPA, Grapefruit Dead is a DIPA.
Yeah but they're pretty close in style. Sculpin is about 7%. Grapefruit Dead is around 8.5%. Definitely single vs double but close enough to compare I think.

I've got my first Mosaic pale ale fermenting right now. I'll dry-hop it with more Mosaic sometime this weekend. Can't wait to try it. This will be my first try at kegging, too.

Good move. One you start kegging you will never go back to bottling. Here's my 5 tap keezer made from a chest freezer. This thing gives me more joy than my kids. Well, maybe not. Then again...

i-FRHgtRr-L.jpg

share_zpsosusbncq.jpg

Bday bottle share last weekend. :) Wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked by you beer guru's.

We did a blind taste test on the 3FFF Blackheart and a 18th ED- PA today.

Hands down it was ED-PA.

My new goal is to hoard as many Prairie Bomb! as humanly possible b/c I'm currently not convinced the world can make a better beverage than that.

Hands down it was ED-PA.

My new goal is to hoard as many Prairie Bomb! as humanly possible b/c I'm currently not convinced the world can make a better beverage than that.
ED-PA is meh, at best. Probably a style thing with me, but I tried it straight from the teat on Friday afternoon, and it didn't move me.

So, I went back to a Deal With The Devil....

That worked.

Hands down it was ED-PA.

I'm generally not a fan of the chile-infused beers; but, Prairie Bomb is damn good.

Have you ever had Mexican Cake? If you get a chance - don't pass that by.

Muy bueno

Hands down it was ED-PA.

Haven't had Bomb, but it sounds great. Have you had Perennial Abraxas? I have several times, though I haven't seen bottles here for a couple years. It's tremendous. I'd love to compare Bomb to it. Stone Xocoveza was like Abraxas' little brother, and I loved that too.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/76393/

Bomb was recently on the shelf here. It's on tap at Ale. Love it but love Bible Belt more.

I should have some Cake coming. I hope anyway. Got 1 as an extra last year and it was tits.

I had a BA Abraxas. But I raffled it off for 800. :( should be released around September this year. I'll drink my next.

Bomb was recently on the shelf here. It's on tap at Ale. Love it but love Bible Belt more.

I should have some Cake coming. I hope anyway. Got 1 as an extra last year and it was tits.

I had a BA Abraxas. But I raffled it off for 800. :( should be released around September this year. I'll drink my next.
800 what? Pesos? If that is in US dollars that is insane. No wonder the guy from Chicago hired a bunch of homeless dudes to mule for him.

I'm generally not a fan of the chile-infused beers; but, Prairie Bomb is damn good.

Have you ever had Mexican Cake? If you get a chance - don't pass that by.

Muy bueno
I had the Toad Storm last night, Hoops. It was likewise muy bueno. A more earthy hop profile than the Grapefruit Dead, IMHO, which was really cool.

I had the Toad Storm last night, Hoops. It was likewise muy bueno. A more earthy hop profile than the Grapefruit Dead, IMHO, which was really cool.
Glad you enjoyed it. It kind of took me by surprise, because I didn't expect that flavor from all German hops. You're right, its a definitely different profile, but I think its solid.

The day I pay $800 for any beer, and I mean A-N-Y, is the day I turn in my beer nerd card.
Yeah, and Mrs. Ptown would file for divorce. I already spend plenty on beer without chasing whales and with only a handful of trades every year.

Yeah, and Mrs. Ptown would file for divorce. I already spend plenty on beer without chasing whales and with only a handful of trades every year.
Mrs. O has commented recently on the amount of stuff I have, and like you I only make a handful of trades a year. That's enough for me. The cats on BA that live on the trade board are ..... enthusiastic.

2-3 years ago when Westie XII released in the US, I had an opportunity to buy a 6er for $86. I passed. Of course, I paid $35 for one bottle last November in Aruba. It was worth every penny.

$800? Man, I really enjoy beer, but I just can't see that. To those that do spend that, I raise my pint glass and say, "Better you than me." I'll enjoy the Vallejo that you sent or the KBS Phish sent or the Grapefruit Dead Hoops sent and have a most excellent beer nerd day.

$800? Man, I really enjoy beer, but I just can't see that. To those that do spend that, I raise my pint glass and say, "Better you than me." I'll enjoy the Vallejo that you sent or the KBS Phish sent or the Grapefruit Dead Hoops sent and have a most excellent beer nerd day.

There is no beer worth that sort of cash. None. For me, I won't pay more for any beer than I would be willing to pay on a regular basis if I liked it. If it's too much to pay to buy twenty of them, it's too much to pay for one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT