ADVERTISEMENT

My brother...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
I know I've shared some information about my brother's battle with ALS on this board before. He was diagnosed in December 2019 and sadly, passed away this past Thursday. It's still pretty surreal at this point, but some of you have reached out from time to time to ask about him, so I thought I'd let everyone here know.

For what it's worth, my family was pretty moved by this tweet by Dan Dakich. I know some of you aren't always his biggest fans, but I will say that when my dad - a lifelong Coach Knight and IU Basketball fan - called to tell me that Dakich had called Andy one of the IU Family's "All-time best," it got a little dusty on both ends of the phone.

I know I've shared some information about my brother's battle with ALS on this board before. He was diagnosed in December 2019 and sadly, passed away this past Thursday. It's still pretty surreal at this point, but some of you have reached out from time to time to ask about him, so I thought I'd let everyone here know.

For what it's worth, my family was pretty moved by this tweet by Dan Dakich. I know some of you aren't always his biggest fans, but I will say that when my dad - a lifelong Coach Knight and IU Basketball fan - called to tell me that Dakich had called Andy one of the IU Family's "All-time best," it got a little dusty on both ends of the phone.
So sorry to hear that

So sorry to hear this.
My prayers are with his family.

Sorry to hear of you and your families loss.

R.I.P. to your brother.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for you and the rest of his family's loss. I hope you're able to celebrate his life and keep the memory of him bright and alive with his children and future grandchildren.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

So sorry. I hope you and your family finds solace in the memories.

Sorry to hear that.

Reactions: ulrey and Ohio Guy

Heartfelt condolences.

Very sorry to hear this, OG.

I can’t count the times having a brother has been the best thing going in my life.

You guys were lucky to share a lot.

Hope the good memories outweigh the sorrow very soon.

Very sorry for your loss.

We’re still going strong with the Hoops4ALS committee. We’re largely working behind the scenes now, but our goal is to eventually have a four team college basket double header (one for men’s basketball and one for women’s ). Lots of NCAA red tape and team politics to navigate, but we’ll get there.

Sorry for your loss. ALS is just a nightmare scanario, to have your mind 100% all there, yet your body ever so gradually lose its ability to function or sustain life. I am hoping that more research leads us to treatment options, soon.

Sorry for your loss. ALS is just a nightmare scanario, to have your mind 100% all there, yet your body ever so gradually lose its ability to function or sustain life. I am hoping that more research leads us to treatment options, soon.
It really is. As recently as last week, we'd exchange texts and facebook messages as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

What a struggle for 3 1/2 years. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope he's at peace now, with no more pain.

Sending you and your family light and love, OG. I hope that there are lots of smiles over fond memories amidst the feelings of loss. Siblings are a blessing.

Sorry to hear and nice of Dan to give a shout out in his honor.

Scrolling twitter and just saw a tribute to him , including clip from Coach Knight on Senior Knight. “He came with Jason Collier. We’re glad you stayed Murph.” I bet he had stories for days!!

Sorry to hear that. It's always difficult to lose a loved one.😥

Scrolling twitter and just saw a tribute to him , including clip from Coach Knight on Senior Knight. “He came with Jason Collier. We’re glad you stayed Murph.” I bet he had stories for days!!
Yeah - that was a great day. Senior night 2000, and they beat Purdue pretty soundly. We had pretty good seats for that game and my dad had one of those camcorders with a VHS tape in it that you rested on your shoulder. He recorded random parts of the game and all the senior night speeches. I remember telling him that I didn’t think they’d let him in with that video camera, but he just walked in with it; no one said anything.

And for what it's worth, he had amazing stories. Some of the guys from that era were in Batesville over the weekend and a lot of those stories were retold. I'm not sure how much they're for public consumption (yet), but he spent a lot of the last few years writing out things he wanted his kids to know. A lot of those writings were about his IU days.

And for what it's worth, he had amazing stories. Some of the guys from that era were in Batesville over the weekend and a lot of those stories were retold. I'm not sure how much they're for public consumption (yet), but he spent a lot of the last few years writing out things he wanted his kids to know. A lot of those writings were about his IU days.
I’m glad he was able to do that for his kids. Back in those days, we knew the names of all the managers because of Knight talking about them. It was such a huge deal to become a manager under Knight.

I’m glad he was able to do that for his kids. Back in those days, we knew the names of all the managers because of Knight talking about them. It was such a huge deal to become a manager under Knight.
It's probably been 5 or 6 years now - maybe longer - but at one point Knight held a private reception for all former IU managers at a hotel in Chicago. I remember hearing how great that was. I don't recall ever seeing anything about it being publicized, but a number of guys I'm connected to on facebook - and Andy - posted a bunch of photos at the time.

They all got a group picture with Knight and most of them had individual pictures with him too. I thought that was a super cool thing for him to do.

It's probably been 5 or 6 years now - maybe longer - but at one point Knight held a private reception for all former IU managers at a hotel in Chicago. I remember hearing how great that was. I don't recall ever seeing anything about it being publicized, but a number of guys I'm connected to on facebook - and Andy - posted a bunch of photos at the time.

They all got a group picture with Knight and most of them had individual pictures with him too. I thought that was a super cool thing for him to do.
The man who controls both the heat balm and the jockstraps must be respected.

I’m sure he knew he put them through it too, but even someone not closely connected could tell how much Knight appreciated the work managers did.

So very sorry for your loss- ALS is an awful disease that has impacted my family too- simply screw ALS

I’m sure he knew he put them through it too, but even someone not closely connected could tell how much Knight appreciated the work managers did.
If you could work for Bob Knight, how could you not work for any other manager that ever lived on Earth. Haha.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT