ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Indystar has an article today about Mullins. Sounds like UCONN is in front. Hurley told him he’d be in the NBA after 10 months at UCONN

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Indystar has an article today about Mullins. Sounds like UCONN is in front. Hurley told him he’d be in the NBA after 10 months at UCONN
If it ends up going this way...is there a reason why Woody seems to struggle closing the deal on these longer term recruiting battles? He's been pretty good at keeping people at IU, overall. And he's obviously been very good at the quick turnaround opportunistic recruiting with late decommits, and then portal kids. Who was the last kid he got that he had been recruiting for a long time, that ended up on IU's campus ultimately?

A guess on why this is happening...purely conjecture based on listening to him talk to media, and some anecdotal stories... 1)he probably isn't good at, and doesn't enjoy, BSing and being positive with recruits and families for long periods of time. 2)He isn't a "process" guy. From how his teams play, you can tell he doesn't focus a ton of time on detail oriented stuff...or if he does, he isn't good at teaching it. Recruiting a kid through their high school journey, can be a grind. Lots of planned out emails, texts, visits, words of affirmation... I don't think working through meticulous processes is up Woody's Alley.

Reactions: iu60
If it ends up going this way...is there a reason why Woody seems to struggle closing the deal on these longer term recruiting battles? He's been pretty good at keeping people at IU, overall. And he's obviously been very good at the quick turnaround opportunistic recruiting with late decommits, and then portal kids. Who was the last kid he got that he had been recruiting for a long time, that ended up on IU's campus ultimately?

A guess on why this is happening...purely conjecture based on listening to him talk to media, and some anecdotal stories... 1)he probably isn't good at, and doesn't enjoy, BSing and being positive with recruits and families for long periods of time. 2)He isn't a "process" guy. From how his teams play, you can tell he doesn't focus a ton of time on detail oriented stuff...or if he does, he isn't good at teaching it. Recruiting a kid through their high school journey, can be a grind. Lots of planned out emails, texts, visits, words of affirmation... I don't think working through meticulous processes is up Woody's Alley.
I wouldn't call this a long, drawn out recruitment unless he remains uncommitted/unsigned when the signing period opens in Novemeber. Of the top 25 recruits in the country, only three have given verbal commitments to date. Mullins will have taken all his OV's by the end of October and was quoted today in the Star saying that he wants to make a decision before his senior season starts in mid-November. This is a pretty typical timeline for this kind of recruit. Most of these schools he's visiting sans IU didn't extend an offer to Mullins until this summer, so it's not like these other coaches have been meticulous for an extending period of time.

I wouldn't call this a long, drawn out recruitment unless he remains uncommitted/unsigned when the signing period opens in Novemeber. Of the top 25 recruits in the country, only three have given verbal commitments to date. Mullins will have taken all his OV's by the end of October and was quoted today in the Star saying that he wants to make a decision before his senior season starts in mid-November. This is a pretty typical timeline for this kind of recruit.
Woody was on Mullins during his junior year, then all summer. Can't remember if he was in on him before his Junior year started? That's not as long as the Haralson, or even Sisley recruitments, for sure. But if he gets him, it might be the longest successful recruitment he's had?

Woody was on Mullins during his junior year, then all summer. Can't remember if he was in on him before his Junior year started? That's not as long as the Haralson, or even Sisley recruitments, for sure. But if he gets him, it might be the longest successful recruitment he's had?
Could be, he was offered last September so not even a full year ago. But I don't necessarily think this is a long, drawn out recruitment based on Mullins reported timeline given his profile.

If you look at his game. Then look at what we've seen from a Woody offense. If he truly wants to become the best at his position, and move on to the next level, why would anyone tell him to come to IU? I've had someone close to the family tell me he's an IU lock since the day he was offered and the more I went to see him play the more evident it became that staying close to home is the only reason he has to come here. All I heard all spring was Dalton Knecht comparisons. Look at the portal adds.

Haralson, Ament and a big are Woodys priorities. He wants his idea of pros.

If you look at his game. Then look at what we've seen from a Woody offense. If he truly wants to become the best at his position, and move on to the next level, why would anyone tell him to come to IU? I've had someone close to the family tell me he's an IU lock since the day he was offered and the more I went to see him play the more evident it became that staying close to home is the only reason he has to come here. All I heard all spring was Dalton Knecht comparisons. Look at the portal adds.

You said this on the other site and it still sounds just as dumb. Woodson is all in on this kid and has been for a long time. He offered this kid nearly 9 months before any of the other schools he's visiting did.

Woody was basically the first high major to offer Mullins. For me, that was a pretty symbolic decision that he was valuing perimeter shooting more. Because at the time he offered Mullins, that's pretty much all he was known for. Since then, he's "blown up" because he's shown surprising athleticism, and an ability to score in a variety of ways.

To say Woodson hasn't prioritized Mullins is absurd.

He's going to UK. He fits perfectly in Pope's offense.
I don't think he's going to UK. But so far, you're right about Pope's offense fitting a guy like Mullins better than Woodson's has.

The presence of Rice, Carlyle, and Goode...hopefully...signals to the Mullins family that Woodson is very serious about changing that, though.

...of course so was Moreno~!
He would have committed to UConn by now if he was going there. And Lexington is in Moreno's backyard, Storrs nearly 1,000 miles away from Mullins which is going to play a major factor in his recruitment. Everything I've heard about Mullin is that he wants to play close to home and is a huge, if not the only selling point for his mom. His dad on the other hand seems to love the attention his son is getting hence all the high profile visits. Michigan, IU, and Kentucky seem to be the three major players. Mullins dad along with Braylon grew up Michigan fans but appear to be too far behind. I see this as a two horse race between IU and UK.

Runs a unique and fun offense. That emphasizes ball movement and 3 point shooting.
It hasn't been particularly effective during his coaching career. But it does focus more on the perimeter, and 3 point shooting.

It'll be interesting if he can be better at Kentucky, with all their resources, than he has been his first 2 stops. He certainly hasn't been all that good of a coach thus far.

It hasn't been particularly effective during his coaching career. But it does focus more on the perimeter, and 3 point shooting.

It'll be interesting if he can be better at Kentucky, with all their resources, than he has been his first 2 stops. He certainly hasn't been all that good of a coach thus far.
BYU was one of several B12 programs who manipulated their NET ranking last season that was exposed early in the tournament.

I’ll take anything over Calipari.

And not sure what you’re talking about, regarding his offense not being effective. B12 coaches all said his teams were the hardest to guard. The guy was at BYU, i’ll cut him some slack. I’m just excited to move on from Calipari.

And not sure what you’re talking about, regarding his offense not being effective. B12 coaches all said his teams were the hardest to guard. The guy was at BYU, i’ll cut him some slack. I’m just excited to move on from Calipari.
“Glad to move on from a championship caliber head coach” lol…famous last words to live by.

“Glad to move on from a championship caliber head coach” lol…famous last words to live by.
I know yall (Indiana fans) would die for Cal's record. Considering you've been the 3rd best program in Indiana for the last 30 years. But, here's a sobering stat:

Cal; with 4 straight top 5 recruiting classes (2020-2023), from 2021-24 there was a chance to win 36 post-season games (24 possible NCAAT wins and 12 possible SECT wins). He won TWO.

It’s not his offense….he has the same issue Cal had. Defense.

I know yall (Indiana fans) would die for Cal's record. Considering you've been the 3rd best program in Indiana for the last 30 years. But, here's a sobering stat:

Cal; with 4 straight top 5 recruiting classes (2020-2023), from 2021-24 there was a chance to win 36 post-season games (24 possible NCAAT wins and 12 possible SECT wins). He won TWO.
Dude you were ready to hang yourselves after you hired Pope.

Thanks for sharing:

Don’t be shocked when Pope doesn’t come close to replicating Calipari’s success as it rarely happens that way. I’d be pissed as a UK fan with the last few years of Calipari but that’s easy to do when you’ve been that spoiled for so long. I think you along with other UK fans are losing perspective. There’s a reason why it took 4 guys saying no before Mitch landed on Pope.

It’s not his offense….he has the same issue Cal had. Defense.
Cal's issues were both. Until last season. Which was an outlier. And Cal still reverted to pounding the rock inside. The defense just fell off a cliff starting in 2019-2020. Up to that point, his teams were always good defenisve teams.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Don’t be shocked when Pope doesn’t come close to replicating Calipari’s success as it rarely happens that way. I’d be pissed as a UK fan with the last few years of Calipari but that’s easy to do when you’ve been that spoiled for so long. I think you along with other UK fans are losing perspective. There’s a reason why it took 4 guys to say no before Pope accepted.
No UK fan is asking for that. We just want to do better than the last 5 years. The guy won 2 tourney games of any kind since 2020. 1 in the SECT and one in the NCAA.

You said 4 guys, we offered Hurley and Drew. Oats was never offered (his own words). Donovan was also never offered. Drew accepted but his family did not. Hurley was a pipedream. He was never leaving UCONN for a chance at a 3 peat. Plus his wife wasn't leaving the northeast to live in the south.

We've been hearing your 'spiel' since Rupp left. 5 coaches with 8 titles.

No UK fan is asking for that. We just want to do better than the last 5 years. The guy won 2 tourney games of any kind since 2020. 1 in the SECT and one in the NCAA.

You said 4 guys, we offered Hurley and Drew. Oats was never offered (his own words). Donovan was also never offered. Drew accepted but his family did not. Hurley was a pipedream. He was never leaving UCONN for a chance at a 3 peat. Plus his wife wasn't leaving the northeast to live in the south.

UK would have given the job to Oats or Billy before Pope, but they were just quick no’s/non-starters and it didn’t get to the offer stage.

You just hired a guy who’s never won a tournament game. And he was your 3rd choice lol? Hope whatever clear you’re drinking is at least good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT